Thread: Gearing

Gearing

So what will work with what is my question. Will only 34 and 35 work with a 55 spur? I would try fitment but I am still waiting for a bearing.
    Has anyone tried other pinions?
    What is everybody running and having the best luck
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

So I got my bearing for my spur gear. Tried to fit a 32t pinion with the 55 spur. I reamed out a hole in the mount, and got it to mesh up. The problem was it set the motor offset in the mount, and it would not set down in the chassis correctly. I could take a dremel to the chassis and make it work. I don't want to cut up the chassis, so I will just have to wait until I get a 34t or 35t pinion.
    I installed a 29t pinion with the 70t spur. It is pretty quick with that gearing and decent speed. Good enough to run for now, and work out any bugs.
    I will do some research and see if anybody is making a slotted motor mount, If not I may just have to make one up sometime down the road. I don't think it would to hard to make one that was slotted that would allow you run different gearing options

Sooooo! I ran the car with 29-70 gearing. On the third battery I had a little problem. The spur gear stripped out where it rides on the pin, on the driveshaft.
    So has anyone else had this same problem?
    When I get my other pinion, and install the 55t spur, I will see if I need to shim between the rear diff and the spur. My guess is that there was some play in there, which caused the gear to strip out

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for sharing your gearing info, still waiting on more interest from my club to race these, fingers still crossed for that to happen. I still think it would be a fun somewhat inexpensive alternative for many entry level people to race.

RC Enthusiast

Hot ESC

I raced my 4-Tec 2.0 yesterday in the parking lot race at Hobbytown in St. Charles, IL yesterday. I ran my car in the open touring class. I put a set of old HPI Advan tires on it and it drove great. There were 13 Mains. It was a very good turnout. In the first heat my 4-Tec kept stopping. I diagnosed the problem as the adapter on the esc. I cut it off and soldered on deans connector. I had no more shut off problems. In round two and the main I had a different problem. With exactly 45 seconds left in in a 5 minute race the car would slow down dramatically. When I took it off the esc was very hot. I didn't check the temp, because I was in the next race. I assume it was over geared I was running 35T/55T pinion and spur setup. I was running the brushed system with a cheap 5000, 30C, 2S lipo. The manual shows two choose of the 55T spur. They are a 35T and 34T pinion. Can I put in a smaller pinion and if so, what holes do I use on the motor mount? I'm assuming I'll have to go back to a 62T spur.