Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    12

    Dirt Oval Track Question...

    I run a high banked packed clay oval in the "Stock Slash Late Model" class. The gist of the rules is that you have to run a stock slash with a dirt track late model body. Durability upgrades are permitted, but no aftermarket or adjustable a-arms, shocks, springs, tires, etc.

    My problem is that my left rear is lifting off of the track exiting the corners on power. With the limited adjustments I can make to the truck, I'm not sure how to fix this.

    About the only things I can adjust are camber, toe (front only), shock oil, limiters, pre-load and things like that.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    JD

  2. #2
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,308
    This might help:



    If your track is smooth with no jumps, I'd try going up in shock oil, maybe 37.5F/32.5R Associated oil. There aren't really camber link location changes on a stock Slash, so I'd try to minimize roll by reducing droop. After setting the shock positions in the video, I'd also try putting in a shock spacer in each of the shocks (it came on the parts tree with the truck) and it will roll even less by reducing the droop even more.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by JD_Woods View Post
    I run a high banked packed clay oval in the "Stock Slash Late Model" class. The gist of the rules is that you have to run a stock slash with a dirt track late model body. Durability upgrades are permitted, but no aftermarket or adjustable a-arms, shocks, springs, tires, etc.
    So I'm a person of loop holes. At my track for Slash 2WD stock class it has the same rules as yours, in my mind RPM parts count as durability upgrades but they are also lighter than stock. So enough of these parts would make your car lighter than stock, would that be cheating?

    There are also different types of stock tires for a slash, I suggest you take a look at those. Metal gears also add more weight up front
    Last edited by Sprinkletron; 03-08-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    45
    "My problem is that my left rear is lifting off of the track exiting the corners on power. With the limited adjustments I can make to the truck, I'm not sure how to fix this".



    Thanks,
    JD[/QUOTE]------>LOOK FOR SALVAS MUDBOSS SETUPS

    Hey there JD. In oval racing you have to think in a X meaning that what you do too the RF affects the LR and what you do too the LF affects the RR. So screw down the RF spring if your LR is needing MORE traction. And If you're running an OVAL run 3/8 shock limiters (fuel line) on the right side and LR and 1/4 shock limiters (fuel line) on the LF. 60W oil in RF 45-50W in the others. Check out what we run SLASH MUDBOSS MODIFIEDS.[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Last edited by 32SLIDEWAYS; 03-08-2018 at 02:48 PM.

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    12
    Nice looking car!

    The limiter settings and shock oil you recommended are a little bit different than what I was running, but close. I'll try your set up this weekend.

    One of the problems I run into is that I can't "screw down" the shocks. We have to run the stock Traxxas shock and the stock white spring. I can add pre-load spacers, internal limiters, and change the shock oil. That's about it.

    Is adding a pre-load spacer the same as screwing down the shock? If it works the way I think it does, it's similar. It seems like everyone I ask has a different opinion about how pre-loads work.

    Thanks again.

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    12
    No, I don't think RPM parts are considered cheating. I've already changed over to RPM A-arms and bearing carriers. I'm up for saving weight anyway I can. The way I look at it, the more weight I save in these pre-determined locations, the more I can adjust ballast with.

    The Slash I bought came with the Kumho tires. They guys at my track say they're the best stock tire to run. I can't run any ultra-soft compound, but Kumho, BF, and the SPC tires are all good to go.

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by JD_Woods View Post
    Nice looking car!

    The limiter settings and shock oil you recommended are a little bit different than what I was running, but close. I'll try your set up this weekend.

    One of the problems I run into is that I can't "screw down" the shocks. We have to run the stock Traxxas shock and the stock white spring. I can add pre-load spacers, internal limiters, and change the shock oil. That's about it.

    Is adding a pre-load spacer the same as screwing down the shock? If it works the way I think it does, it's similar. It seems like everyone I ask has a different opinion about how pre-loads work.

    Thanks again.
    Same here about the shocks (pre-load spacer) only. Try the things I listed before (shock limiters) and the shock oil's (most important 60WT in RF) but DON'T do too many changes at once. So limiters--change shock oil-- and one thick and one small shim on RF to help out the LR.
    Last edited by 32SLIDEWAYS; 03-08-2018 at 11:54 PM.

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    45
    Is adding a pre-load spacer the same as screwing down the shock? If it works the way I think it does, it's similar. It seems like everyone I ask has a different opinion about how pre-loads work.

    Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

    Think about it. Putting a pre-load spacer on the RF makes the spring stiffer same as screwing down the shock and puts more weight on the LR

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by JD_Woods View Post
    The Slash I bought came with the Kumho tires. They guys at my track say they're the best stock tire to run. I can't run any ultra-soft compound, but Kumho, BF, and the SPC tires are all good to go.
    Huh, I always thought the BFG's were a little slippery.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    45

    Good Oval Tires Nice and Sticky

    Well if you can run rubber tires Find out if you can run these tires. https://www.amainhobbies.com/duratra...xc3544/p607956
    [IMG]

  11. #11
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    Huh, I always thought the BFG's were a little slippery.
    Oh yah there JUNK

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by 32SLIDEWAYS View Post
    Well if you can run rubber tires Find out if you can run these tires. https://www.amainhobbies.com/duratra...xc3544/p607956
    [IMG]
    He has to run stock tires
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by 32SLIDEWAYS View Post
    Oh yah there JUNK
    Tell me about it. Tried them on my local turf track, like driving on ice after 2 laps they get a shine to them. The bone stock tires that come on all the low end Slash's work a TON better.

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    He has to run stock tires
    Sorry we run these on a carpet oval and have to run jaco 2055s foam for mudboss mod rules on clay
    [IMG]
    Last edited by 32SLIDEWAYS; 03-09-2018 at 02:16 PM.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by 32SLIDEWAYS View Post
    Sorry we run these on a carpet oval
    A carpet oval with foam tires? And no traction roll?

    Also for this class are you allowed to lock the diff?
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    45

    Bandito's on carpet oval

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    A carpet oval with foam tires? And no traction roll?

    Also for this class are you allowed to lock the diff?
    No diff lock and we run these tires on the carpet oval.
    [IMG]

  17. #17
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    45

    JACO 2055's on dirt (mudboss spec tire)

    These are the tires we run on the clay oval. MUDBOSS MODIFIED (spec tire)
    [IMG]

  18. #18
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Rotterdam NY
    Posts
    45
    JD I sent you a PM with some camber set-up pic's. And you might want to have a little more camber on your RF as your running a HIGH BANKED oval. Let me know if you got them.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Last edited by 32SLIDEWAYS; 03-09-2018 at 04:56 PM.

  19. #19
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    14
    Best tip I can give you is to pull 48 metal screws out of those wheels .

  20. #20
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    12
    Ok, another question. Has anybody scaled one of these cars out? If so, what percentages do you run?

    Thanks,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •