Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124

    Traction on dirt / gravel

    I mostly use my truck on flat dirt or gravel roads. I have the Castle SCT 3800kv combo in it, and a lot of other durability upgrades. I use 60wt oil in the rear and 50wt in the front. I LOVE the power my truck has, but it is extremely hard to get traction on the surfaces I drive on.

    Even when babying the throttle I can easily start spinning out if I just punch it. I have the stock Kumoho tires, and I think I need to upgrade the tires to help with traction. My question is this:

    Will tires affect my traction majorly? Do I need to change shock tuning to account for different tires? What tires would yall recommend for dirt / gravel? And lastly, is there a major difference between bead locks and pre glued tires?

    I love this truck, I just want it to bite into the ground more!

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    430
    Proline badlands are great tires for loose surface. If you are using 50wt in the front I would suggest 40wt for rear shocks, it should help with traction and handling.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    107
    mine ran great with badlands (tires make a huge difference on traction) and 50 wt all around. no real difference on bead vs glued (what i have). you can also back off the slipper to aid with loose surfaces.
    Slash 2wd
    it is all about having fun

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    I mostly use my truck on flat dirt or gravel roads. I have the Castle SCT 3800kv combo in it, and a lot of other durability upgrades. I use 60wt oil in the rear and 50wt in the front. I LOVE the power my truck has, but it is extremely hard to get traction on the surfaces I drive on.

    Even when babying the throttle I can easily start spinning out if I just punch it. I have the stock Kumoho tires, and I think I need to upgrade the tires to help with traction. My question is this:

    Will tires affect my traction majorly? Do I need to change shock tuning to account for different tires? What tires would yall recommend for dirt / gravel? And lastly, is there a major difference between bead locks and pre glued tires?

    I love this truck, I just want it to bite into the ground more!
    If you want to start racing I suggest keeping the stock tires on your truck, practice cornering on low grip surface (slowing down or drifting it doesn't matter) that way when you get your grippy tires you will be much better at driving.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,964
    Stock tires are basically made for longevity and not so much for traction. I have a set I have glazed up a bit with fine sand paper that I use for drifting.

    Gladiators are wonderful tires for loose surfaces like loose dirt and gravel. Their biggest problem is they wear very quickly on pavement. Trenchers are a great dual-purpose tire, offering respectable traction on loose surfaces and pavement without getting worn down too quickly.

    Beadlocks are a great option, but you need to take the time to put them together properly. They are great for bashing and lower-lever racing. Their biggest problem is weight, a set of glue-on tires weighs about half what a set of beadlocks weigh. Beadlocks are great because it is relatively easy to swap out a set of worn out tires for a new set without have to bake your wheels, or put them into a chemical bath. Beadlocks really are not for randomly changing out your tires when you want to drive on a different surface with another set of tires.

    Recommend watching a few videos on mounting beadlocks, it is fairly straight forward, but there are a few tricks and tips you'll want to know before you start. I use an electric driver to put mine together, but I stop when there is just a little bit of daylight under the screw head, then finish it off by hand.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,042
    I like the trenchers pretty good. They seem to offer good off and on road traction and donít get too worn. Use the trenchers on the proline wheels that come pre glued. They seem to work well and havenít given me any issues.

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124
    I think it’s down to trenchers or badlands. Is there any benefit to only running them in the rear and keeping stock up front?

  8. #8
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    I think it’s down to trenchers or badlands. Is there any benefit to only running them in the rear and keeping stock up front?
    It’s cheaper, but it won’t drive very well.

    Also, a good diff will make a massive difference after you get the right tires.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    It’s cheaper, but it won’t drive very well.

    Also, a good diff will make a massive difference after you get the right tires.
    I run the hot racing sealed diff and i love it. I know your video reviewed it unfavorably, but you didnt use loctite like the directions said. When Im on a hard surface the thing sticks like glue, I think my gearing / tires are what are affecting my traction on dirt roads more than the diff anyways. I dont know how to explain it, but its basically like if I go too heavy on the gas I end up doing donuts. Ive been experimenting with punch control but really in the end I just have to be more measured with the throttle. I understand that, but if tires will help me be able to have better control while maintaining the high speed setup, that would equal the most fun for me.

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124
    Does anyone run different tires in back vs front for increased traction in dirt / gravel?

  11. #11
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    I run the hot racing sealed diff and i love it. I know your video reviewed it unfavorably, but you didnt use loctite like the directions said.
    I did use Loctite. I mention that in the video.

    When Im on a hard surface the thing sticks like glue, I think my gearing / tires are what are affecting my traction on dirt roads more than the diff anyways. I dont know how to explain it, but its basically like if I go too heavy on the gas I end up doing donuts. Ive been experimenting with punch control but really in the end I just have to be more measured with the throttle. I understand that, but if tires will help me be able to have better control while maintaining the high speed setup, that would equal the most fun for me.
    I don't know if you read my post, but I said to get tires FIRST, and then a diff second. You got a diff first, but you still need to get the right tires for your terrain. That's why your truck is good on pavement and bad on dirt. I've got a different set of tires depending on the surface.
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 04-28-2018 at 12:29 AM.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,964
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    Does anyone run different tires in back vs front for increased traction in dirt / gravel?
    People do it. For dirt and gravel people run different tires front to back because they just do not want to buy a full set. But, stock tires have about as much grip when turning as the back tires have for traction, Gladiators on the back and stock on the front, you'll end up pushing a lot.

    For sand, snow, and some mud, people will put sand tires on the back and Mohawks on the front (or skis). Having sand tires on the front doesn't get you anything except funky steering.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124
    So really I just need a full set of off road tires, not mixed. I’m thinking badlands cause I read a reviews we by el sob that his trenchers wore very fast, and I drive my truck 3-5 times a week.

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124
    You’re right, I was thinking of someone else’s video. Maybe some of them were manufactured out of tolerance and hats why yours leaked. Mine has stayed sealed through about 10 hrs if bash sessions, and yes I tear down and clean my transmission often because I’m a clean freak lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    I did use Loctite. I mention that in the video.



    I don't know if you read my post, but I said to get tires FIRST, and then a diff second. You got a diff first, but you still need to get the right tires for your terrain. That's why your truck is good on pavement and bad on dirt. I've got a different set of tires depending on the surface.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier MAC FAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    835
    Pitbull Rockbeasts are awesome. Lugs are open enough for gravel and the tires come with internal ribs so you don't have to tape them for ballooning. Heavier diff oil since you're sealed, weight transfer as it gets squirrely just amplifies the undesireable because of the lighter oil. A spool type situation may also work for your environment, you dont. Finally, you could add toe in to the rear. Helps with straight line traction. One more thing, have you messed with the throttle program curve on your speedy? Maybe you're hitting "full boost" from the word go which adds to your misery.

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124
    Got a set of 2.8 badlands, getting ready to take it out in an hr or so. Man this truck looks so menacing now muwahahaha!

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    7,964
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    Got a set of 2.8 badlands, getting ready to take it out in an hr or so. Man this truck looks so menacing now muwahahaha!
    Just watch your temps, those larger tires will put more stress on your motor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    105
    Lots of good advise here. I really dig trenchers as they are grippy gripperson off road and on road for that matter. They wear fast on the streets for sure. Badlands move a lot of material and are great off road on the loosest dirt. Any surface with any kind of flat hardness and they're not awesome. Badlands also wear very quickly. Trenchers are about the best tire I have found for grass as well. Even better than the Badlands, surprisingly. Trenchers are a bit drifty thought, on really loose dirt. Swampers don't have the forward bite of Trenchers but are a bit more stable cornering on surfaces that are looser like loose dry dirt. Anyway just my two cents about tires and my 2wd Slash.
    Last edited by Bashnslash; 04-28-2018 at 06:24 PM.

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier MAC FAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Just watch your temps, those larger tires will put more stress on your motor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You will love the new found speed..... then you smell this funny smell and burn your fingers on the motor can. Been there, done that. Motor didn't like the 212 degree temp.

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    Pitbull Rockbeasts are awesome. Lugs are open enough for gravel and the tires come with internal ribs so you don't have to tape them for ballooning. Heavier diff oil since you're sealed, weight transfer as it gets squirrely just amplifies the undesireable because of the lighter oil. A spool type situation may also work for your environment, you dont. Finally, you could add toe in to the rear. Helps with straight line traction. One more thing, have you messed with the throttle program curve on your speedy? Maybe you're hitting "full boost" from the word go which adds to your misery.
    I do set punch control at 30% and I ease into the throttle. I have 50k diff fluid in there now, that should be pretty good right?

  21. #21
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124
    I ran the truck for about an hr and could still touch the motor so I think temps are good. I run 23/86 and was worried but on the surfaces I drive I think I’ll be fine. Next time I’ll remember my temp gun just for peace of mind.

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    Does anyone run different tires in back vs front for increased traction in dirt / gravel?
    my fav tire setup is super soft Trenchers up front and regular soft Trenchers on the rear. Turns nice while on the throttle hard.

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    398
    I'm gonna start running rally VXL tires on my slash 2WD and I'll try and increase the steering angle so I can have a 2WD rally slash.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

  24. #24
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    I'm gonna start running rally VXL tires on my slash 2WD and I'll try and increase the steering angle so I can have a 2WD rally slash.
    Take some pics and show us please! Definitely seems like a reasonable project.

  25. #25
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashnslash View Post
    my fav tire setup is super soft Trenchers up front and regular soft Trenchers on the rear. Turns nice while on the throttle hard.
    Hmmm. How do you differentiate between soft and super soft? I didnt notice anything like that on the packages.

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    Take some pics and show us please! Definitely seems like a reasonable project.
    It'll be a while. I'm busy with school work, hockey, and other RCs. I have most of the parts already though.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

  27. #27
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    Hmmm. How do you differentiate between soft and super soft? I didnt notice anything like that on the packages.
    M2 is medium and M3 is soft. All proline tires seem soft to me so I called em soft and super soft but that's not correct. Pro-line calls them medium.
    Oddly at Pro-lines website they don't list the M3 Trenchers but they make em.
    Last edited by Bashnslash; 05-05-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •