Thread: Pwny’s Rally

RC Racer

Pwny’s Rally

I’ve neglected my rally lately since I moved so I decided to get it out and add some parts that I’ve been meaning to install. What I’ve done so far is listed below, the sway bars and aluminum drive shaft were newly installed today.

Mamba X
    Castle 4600kv sensored brushless motor
    32p gearing, I think I’m at 14/54 currently but I can’t remember which spur I have in there
    Aluminum driveshaft (and corresponding front hardened steel drive hub)
    Traxxas 2075X servo (had this laying around from my trx4, seems more appropriate that a 2056)
    Front and Rear Sway Bars (used the stiffer sway bars)
    Castle motor fan
    Basic lights

The sway bars greatly improved the handling of the car. It’s night and day, if you have one of these I highly suggest adding those, well worth the $25.

The motor runs a little hot, temps can break 160 if I’m pushing it hard. I’m swapping the castle fan for a traxxas fan to see if that helps, it seems like the traxxas fan blows more air. Since it’s sensored I’m going to program the esc to cut it off at 165 degrees. Open to feedback, that’s based off a google guess.

Overall the rally is a blast, I have a lot more fun driving it than I did my 4x4 slash. Of course it doesn’t go off-road like the slash, but I mostly keep this on pavement and flat dirt. May look at upgrading the shocks down the road but the next thing I’ll eventually do is add the adapter and some 1/8 wheels and tires like some of you all have done on here.

Thanks for the read!

RC poster
    Hei. Those basic lights. How did you install em.
    I have s set snd would install on mine, but it should look somewhat ok, not just some reemed holes. Yours lool like they are angled.
    Maybe a picture or two..
    Warley

Nice looking ride!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwny Danza View Post
    Overall the rally is a blast, I have a lot more fun driving it than I did my 4x4 slash. Of course it doesn’t go off-road like the slash, but I mostly keep this on pavement and flat dirt.
    What do you mean the rally can't go offroad like the slash! My rally has VXL, AKA tires, and a slash shell and it keeps up with the AE and TLR SCTs. I just installed sway bars as well and am looking forward to racing again. I should probably have a fan. If you want to race your rally get a chassis brace.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    What do you mean the rally can't go offroad like the slash! My rally has VXL, AKA tires, and a slash shell and it keeps up with the AE and TLR SCTs. I just installed sway bars as well and am looking forward to racing again. I should probably have a fan. If you want to race your rally get a chassis brace.
    I just have the stock body and wheels and tires so it’s more of a clearance issue for me, but you’re right it is a very capable rig. I’ll check out the chassis brace options, I don’t really do any racing but if it helps the handling then I’m interested.

Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    Nice looking ride!
    Thanks Jato!

Quote Originally Posted by Warley View Post
    Hei. Those basic lights. How did you install em.
    I have s set snd would install on mine, but it should look somewhat ok, not just some reemed holes. Yours lool like they are angled.
    Maybe a picture or two..
    Warley
    So it is just some reemed holes with $6 lights. Here’s the lights I used. They come with the little metal housings that secure to the body. It’s tough to get them tight so I used a little glue on the inside. Mounting the front ones in the fog light position does cause the light to push into the bumper foam, had to work around that as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Kalevel-Truck...pop_d_pd_title

Looks good, my friend! First off, please don't get a chassis brace!!! I destroyed a good Ultimate edition with one of those. Second, a 4600 kv motor will almost always run too hot in this platform. Get yourself a 2400kv motor and gear it to how fast you want to go. Personally i'm not a fan of the Castle Creations fan shroud. I run an aluminum heatsink with a YR dual ball bearing fan. Works great!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    Nice! I’ll check out that YR fan. I have a 2280 slate motor in my trx4 that I’ve been thinking about upgrading and putting the 2280 into the rally.

Since this thread was posted I’ve also installed the traxxas GTR shocks with Losi springs, definitely digging these so far. Likely going to 17mm wheels and tires at the same time as the motor swap so I can give it a run on 4S.

RC poster
    Do you live in bk