Thread: New Teton

RC Competitor

Cool New Teton

Hello everybody. This is my first time on the Traxxas forums. I am a very carefull driver on my trucks. I own a 1/8 scale summit and a 2WD raptor. I would like to add the teton to my collection as I have been researching this little beast on youtube. The truck looks like a fun truck to bash around with. I am not hard on driving my trucks. My summit and raptor are all stock and I like them that way. Anything or information about this little beast would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RC Competitor
    They are good Lil trucks. If you want it to stay stock it should last a while but stock up on stock drive shafts and maybe lightly oil the universal joints on the drive shafts they seem to last a bit longer. Get it. It's a fun truck for the money

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info bikemike. I plan on getting one for my 45TH birthday. Is there any battery suggestions? I just want the old NIMH battery packs to run the truck. I am not planning on using lipo power as , from what I have seen , the truck is plenty fast enough for me. I baby my trucks but I do have fun with them. Are the driveshafts plastic or metal? Thanks again for the information and help on this little guy.

RC Competitor
    Cool happy 4th b day. I'm 40 with 7 kids, so this is a good intro truck for them to grow with. For the battery I recommend getting venom 2000 mah 20c battery and a lipo charger you can get up to 40 minutes run time on a pack. Or get more stock packs and faster charger and you be set for a great time.

RC Competitor
    Stock drive shafts are plastic and cost about 5 bucks a pair but the metal shafts last longer and helps prevent breakdowns and repairs. One thing I noticed with my trucks is the front and rear diff gears were dry of any lube or grease so I used wheel bearing grease on them from day 1. You don't have to pull the whole truck apart to grease the gear. Might only take 5 to 10 minutes to do

RC Competitor
    Thanks again for the info bikemike and early happy birthday compliment! I don't have any children except for my 2 chihuahua's , Poco and Maisy lol. All I plan on driving the truck on is parking lots , gravel pits , my yard , and some light trailing and small jumping. The truck is just for me. This will be my first mini. I have been in this hobby since I have been alive , lol. I am an old school kinda guy. I believe that once I start to drive my other 2 trucks that you are supposed to drive them like you are actually inside the truck and that you are not allowed to touch them. That is what I like about this sport. I live in the Ozark Mountains so I have plenty of places to bash and to have fun with this new addition to my collection. No grease in the diffs from the factory? Why? I guess that it is what it is. I am still going to buy the little guy and maybe for fun tow it behind my summit to where I want to run. Thanks again for the info! Can't wait to get it!

RC Competitor
    Awesome the summit won't have any issues towing the Teton. The summit will look like big brother to the Teton

RC Competitor
    I have a teton and 3 prerunners for my kids and I tell them to not worry about how fast they go on a track. I keep suggesting that they learn how to steer around the track without hitting everything and then speed will come as their driving skills progress. One of my sons did really well on the track and nice consistent laps until he thought he was gunna race his brother then it became demo derby mode yeah that ****ed me and other ppl off that were on the track.

RC Competitor
    Hate to hear that. Yeah , my summit will look like the teton's big brother towing it which I think would look pretty cool! Can you take the stickers off the teton? Also , I have noticed that there are no tools included in the box. Can I take the tires off with a standard little tire removal tool? I hate asking all these questions but I just want to know more about the truck. Thanks again for helping me out.

RC Competitor
    I am new to this. How do you know when somebody is online to talk too back and forth?

RC Competitor
    Don't know. I just got on this site too. Sucks that this siteam doesn't allow us to post pics from our phones easy

RC Competitor
    The tires come off with a Allen screw all that's really required for this truck for toils is 1 Allen wrench a #1 Philips and a pliers is handy for ball links. If this truck was any more simple the only tool would be ducttape

RC Competitor
    Nice. Seems like an easy truck to wrench on anyway. Besides , I have plenty of tools in my arsenal to wrench with. Yeah , I would like to see how we can communicate back and forth online with other members too. Thanks man for your help!

RC Competitor
    Maybe we should start a latrax page on facebook any and all latrax rally teton sst. Prerunner and any other 18th scale surface vehicle. Then we can post pics and vids easy too

RC Competitor
    Facebook site. 18the Scale RC enthusiasts. I just started it up so we can post pics vids buy sell trade. Join and share to other members or friends that like these small rc's

RC Competitor
    I agree , sounds like fun!

RC Competitor
    18th Scale RC enthusiasts on facebook check it out

RC Competitor
    I hate to say but I am having trouble getting on facebook bud. I had an account several years back and I even talked to an administrator on the phone yesterday and I still could not log in. IDK what in the world is going on with them!? Do you have any idea's about this or any other suggestions where we could talk back and forth? I was on the summit forum the other day and somebody played a joke saying that the '' fullsize summit '' was being discontinued and that Traxxas was coming out with a new summit 2.0. This is scaring me! The summit IMO, is one of the company's best trucks. It is a one of a kind r/c.

RC Competitor
    Maybe try making another new account with a new email address. I'm not a big facebook guy. I just go on for the groups like garage sales,chainsaw stuff rc cars n planes. I hate the drama part of it. IL ask my kid or wife what can be done to start a new fb

RC Competitor
    Thanks bud. I am not a big facebook fan either. Hopefully your child or wife can help us out.

RC Competitor
    Sent you a message to your inbox

RC Competitor
    Ok , sounds good bud. I tried again and I still can't get on FB.

RC Competitor
    Hey , how do you get into your inbox bud?

RC Competitor
    Nevermind , I got it bud.

RC Competitor
    I have the old style traxxas connector on my battery charger. Will the charger connector fit the new ID connectors on the new Traxxas batteries? I also have the Venum batteries that have the multi plug connectors , will they fit the new connector that is on the truck? I plan on picking up an extra battery , motor and if I have to a new charge connector lead with the new ID connector. Any info about this would be great. Can't wait to get the little guy! Thanks.

RC Competitor
    I would like to know what is the best steel driveshafts to buy for the little guy also. I plan on picking up a full set of these also once the stock ones wear out. I don't plan on running lipo in it either as it is plenty fast enough for me. Like I mentioned before I baby my trucks and I know that this little guy will last a long time before I install these extra parts I buy for it. Thanks for the help.

RC Competitor
    So far lots of hype on the hr steel shafts

RC Competitor
    OK. What does hr stand for? Also what about the old Traxxas connector connecting to the new ID Traxxas connectors charging my batteries? Will they work? Thanks again.

HR stands for Hot Racing, a company that makes excellent steel driveshafts. I use them and they are very very durable. The only thing is that you will want to put a bit of WD40 on it to help prevent rust if it gets wet at all, like if there is a little wet spot on the area that you are driving in and accidently drive through, or if you drive not to long after rain, and the road or driveway is a bit wet and you get a bit of water on the shafts.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-...0AAOSwTEJaAnaz My local hobby shop sells them for this same price.
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

RC Competitor
    Thx for the info. I still would like to know if the original traxxas battery connectors will plug into the new battery connectors plus is there any bigger brushed motors I can install in the truck like a 380 or so and if I can run a 8.4V NIMH batteries or just stay with a 7.4V batteries , will the stock ESC handle the 8.4V? I would like to run some batteries say like a 2000 NIHM for more runtimes. Thx.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by davis1979 View Post
    Thx for the info. I still would like to know if the original traxxas battery connectors will plug into the new battery connectors plus is there any bigger brushed motors I can install in the truck like a 380 or so and if I can run a 8.4V NIMH batteries or just stay with a 7.4V batteries , will the stock ESC handle the 8.4V? I would like to run some batteries say like a 2000 NIHM for more runtimes. Thx.
    im not sure about the last part of the question but you can use the old style connectors with the new ID ones
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

RC Competitor
    Thank you for the info. So , I don't have to buy a new traxxas charging plug for my charger to charge the new ID batteries , am I correct? I figure that if the ESC can handle a lipo battery that it should be able to handle a 8.4V NIHM battery. That is a relief knowing that I don't have to buy a new charging plug for my charger plus I can use my traxxas batteries in the truck. I can find out for myself about using the 8.4V batteries in the truck. Still would like to know about a bigger brushed motor options I have for the truck. Any feedback on this issue would be great. Thx again guy's for all the help! Can't wait to get the truck!

RC poster
    I have the teton it's a blast ran it stock for a month tell I burnt the stock brushed motor up. Went to brushless and it's a crazy animal. Can't give it full trigger from a stop or it just flips over. Put a set of bigger 1.9s with 94mm tires on it with weights in the rims on the front didn't slow it down at all. Had to go to all metal axle shafts and did a home made rear locker. Works great just have to take off kinda slow then give her to full go. Ran a set of 2.2 paddles on it this winter in a bit of snow. Ended the day with 3 bent steel axle shafts/a blown apart front diff and a broken rear diff cup. Got all the new stuff just got to put the little thing back together agen. Best 125 bucks I ever spent for an rc

RC Competitor
    Thx again for the info guys. I am in trouble but in a good way , lol. Has anyone or own the 1/16 scale smax from Remo hobby? Does anybody have any information about this truck? I have seen it on youtube and have been to the company's website. For the money , I feel like that the smax is not a bad deal at all. Still looking at the teton but I am seriously leaning toward the smax. What do you guys think? Teton or Smax? Thx for the help.

RC Racer
    Theres threads for the Remo Hobby stuff on the Rcgroups forum. Leave the discussion here on Traxxas products such as the Teton only.