RC Competitor

Stampede 4x4 VXL diff gears

I have a brushed version 4x4 pede. I figure at some point I may do the motor exchange for the brushless setup. As a brushed truck will there be any advantage to switching the differential gears over to the same ones found in the VXL truck?

RC Qualifier
    Marked for info....looking to do this....

RC Racer
    Check this out
    Fresh Differentials

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dashfordx View Post
    Check this out
    Fresh Differentials

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might switch to 500K oil, but it really didn't answer my question. I was looking to swap out the differential ring gears - part: 6778 with 5379X (I realize these are front only, but I would also do the corresponding rears as well). Will that make much of a difference?

The spider gears, which were replaced in the link quoted, are the same for both trucks.
    Last edited by Meangreen1979; 03-12-2018 at 01:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    What about just swapping the pinion and or spur? Would doing that get close to the stock VXL speed/gearing?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    What about just swapping the pinion and or spur? Would doing that get close to the stock VXL speed/gearing?
    That's what I'm asking.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meangreen1979 View Post
    That's what I'm asking.
    Yes. Just change the motor pinion. Itís the same as changing the ring gear. Just changes the overall ratio;
    And itís tons easier

RC Qualifier
    What would you recommend changing the pinion and spur to?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What would you recommend changing the pinion and spur to?
    Iím running a 2600kv 550 can on 3 and 4S. Iím at 17 tooth and itís fast and powerful. It can get hot, but only on 4S. 130-140 grass running.

RC Qualifier
    What about running 2S and the stock VXL system? Anyone?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I did with the XL-5 gears and VXL motor and esc. I found it boring, not enough explosive power. But thatís me. In a confined space or a skate park kind of area I bet itís fun

RC Qualifier
    Was it a lot faster then the brushed system even on the same gearing? Did it not have the torque or speed you would have liked?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I did with the XL-5 gears and VXL motor and esc. I found it boring, not enough explosive power. But that’s me. In a confined space or a skate park kind of area I bet it’s fun
    What caused me to ask my original question was a thread I read a week or two ago about someone who did the motor swap from brushed to brushless, but didn't notice much gain. I was thinking about making the swap at some point, but I'm kind of at the point where am I going to gain that much speed & off the line power to justify spending the money and time to upgrade the little things on the truck before swapping motors or should I just leave it as is. I have a brushless e-revo as well so leaving it as is, is not the end of the world.

I'm guessing Blown94 is contemplating the same thing.

RC Qualifier
    Exactly, don't want to do the swap to gain 2mph so to speak.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Was it a lot faster then the brushed system even on the same gearing? Did it not have the torque or speed you would have liked?
    I bought a roller. Never had a brushed motor in it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Exactly, don't want to do the swap to gain 2mph so to speak.
    Since theyíre so much more expensive Iíd say that other thread, there was some other issue. I havenít used a brushed motor since in 22 years. I got back in the hobby a couple years ago and Iíve been hard at it since.

2s on the vxl with the xl5 diffs and an 11t pinion was not a ton faster than brushed. I tried going up to a 17t pinion and leaving the diffs alone and the motor seemed to heat up a lot faster than I'd like, but it was a bit faster. Maybe it was just the way my son was driving that caused the higher temps.

A bit ago I put the vxl diff gears in and dropped back to an 11t pinion. I feel like it's faster...no proof though... And I'm not sure if the final drive ratio is much different. It doesn't seem to heat up as quick now though and it is way faster than the stock brushed truck on 2s (of course).

Tons of fun actually! As others on here​ have said, 3s on the vxl requires some upgrades and close attention to temps.