RC Enthusiast

Thoughts about Spartan

I've been reading alot not only here but other forums also . Did I make a mistake buying this boat ? Have the electronic change or are they still not so Good? Just something's I'm wondering about.

Good boat with 4s. Great boat when modified properly for 6s.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks ReglarGuy just had me kind of nervous reading some of the posts about problems guys were having with them.

RC Qualifier
    As a beginner, it is fun to explore, remember this kind of hobby is about tweak and peaks, you need to learn what you break which is the fun part. Giving up on it without trying is a failure. There’s an up and downs on it but truly this boat flies once tuned properly, as you gain experience you’ll be the next sharing the great experience here.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info guys

RC Racer
    i got plenty of 6s runs under my belt with nothing more then a better motor jacket and a balanced and sharpened bj29 prop . best speed 56.7 .
    i changed connectors to ec5`s .no other changes . its a decent boat .sure it chine walks a bit ,learn how to drive it and it wont be a issue .
    slash P 4x4/cen colossus/rustler vxl/arrma kraton

RC Enthusiast
    Helizrnew2me----Have you had any problems with the flex shaft. Seem most of the things Ive read are about the flex shaft breaking. I am kind of wondering since they have changed all of the connectors to the traxxas ID connector does this mean I have to use the traxxas batteries? I am going to order the dual pick up and a different cooling jacket. Probably take a look at some of the different props that are out there. Just kind of limited on funds right now

I did a bunch of little finesse mods to my Spartan, but kept and used all of my Spartan's OEM parts. Under those mod and OEM conditions, I could hit 70mph. Now, I could only hit and keep that speed for only a few of seconds at a time, but I could still repeatedly hit 70mph with my 6s driven boat using 99% OEM parts. Now, I just run in the 60's which is easy and comfortable to do once the Spartan has been finessed.

The only non OEM parts I use on my boat are the dual port rudder and the aluminum cooling jacket. All the other parts on my boat are stock. This tells me that the Traxxas engineering behind my Spartan is basically sound, but due to the Spartan being a RTR it does need finessed just like any other RTR RC vehicle.

The finesse mods that you can do (I'm going by memory) to have your Spartan use it's full potential are:

1). the Hog cooling mod which consists of a HR dual port rudder and OSE aluminum jacket.
    2). the ESC cooling mod which consists of making a ESC water cooled heat sink and adding a Castle CC Cap pack
    3). the anti grease spooge mod which consists of extending the stuffing tube.
    4). the flex cable collect mod which consists of trimming the OEM collects threads
    5). the ant turtling mod which consists of installing two hatch posts for better hatch securing
    6). the water seal mod which consists of adding a rear OSE splash guard and sealing the rear hatch area

Anyway, all the above mods are cheap to do, and they really make the Spartan a fun boat to have and play with. If you have any desire to do any of them, or have any questions, feel free to ask. I still have my "how to do" pictures.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 03-21-2018 at 05:20 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhead55 View Post
    Helizrnew2me----Have you had any problems with the flex shaft. Seem most of the things Ive read are about the flex shaft breaking. I am kind of wondering since they have changed all of the connectors to the traxxas ID connector does this mean I have to use the traxxas batteries? I am going to order the dual pick up and a different cooling jacket. Probably take a look at some of the different props that are out there. Just kind of limited on funds right now
    i have run 6s pretty exclusively and never had a issue with my flex shaft .i dont hammer the throttle ,i gradually bring it up to top speed .
    i think most who are breaking the flex would be hammering the throttle off the line .if i did that i think this thing would do a backflip.

i grease my flex every 2 runs .only takes a minute so....

you only have to use traxxas lipos if you dont or you cant change your connectors . not a fan of traxxas lipos they are only rated at 25c .i change all my stuff to ec5`s
    slash P 4x4/cen colossus/rustler vxl/arrma kraton

I've hammered my throttle many of times with no issues. In fact, I still have my original flex cable which just happens to be seven years old. The big thing with flex cables is to keep them lubed, and to make sure you have the proper spacing between your prop and strut...and, run the proper prop.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 03-22-2018 at 03:26 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I've hammered my throttle many of times with no issues. In fact, I still have my original flex cable which just happens to be seven years old. The big thing with flex cables is to keep them lubed, and to make sure you have the proper spacing between your prop and strut...and, run the proper prop.
    I am interested if you could send the pics to tagroff@yahoo.com I would really appreciate it. Being new to the hobby I guess just confused about this traxxas ID thing. So if I switch to ec5 ( which means boat and batteries ) everything should still run okay and can use whatever batteries I want. Sorry I sound like such a dope just don't want to make too many mistakes.

There is only one thing with that. If I just send them only to you then I'm not helping anyone else here. So, here's what I can do for you. You tell me what you're wanting to start with first, and then I'll post the pictures and explanations of what you need to get the job done. From there we'll work our way down the list of the mods you'd like to do, okay? Let me know what/when you would like to get started.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 03-25-2018 at 05:40 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    ReglarGuy do you happen to have a youtube account where you put up videos of your mods ...That would be great if you did

No, I don't want to take a chance of my privacy being compromised. I like being just your friendly ol' neighborhood ReglarGuy, but if you need info I still have all my "How To" pictures on file. Plus, if you have any questions it would be my pleasure to help you in getting started with your Spartan...it's a great boat.

P.S. I got some of my above post reply cut, but that's okay. I'll do this part again:

If I were you, I would just add another Traxxas OEM water exhaust port to the other side of your boat. I'd do this for two reasons: 1) so, that you only have two holes on each side of your boat. 2) so, that you can see better the operational status of both of your ports. If you have all your exhaust ports close together and on one side of your boat, it will be a lot trickier to see if both your cooling lines are working right. Checking them is always the first thing I do when putting my boats in the water.

If you do really want to only have one hole per side on your boat, they make stem water ports which only need one hole to mount them. I had a picture of my Spartan with its' two OEM water exhaust ports, and a picture of my Blackjack29 with its' two single hole stem exhaust ports, but you will have to look at the pictures from both of their manufacture's websites...Traxxas/Spartan and Proboat/Blackjack.

RC poster
    Morning what is the proper spacing you mentioned? Between prop and strut?
    Last edited by wk1994; 07-05-2018 at 08:21 AM.

The spacing between your prop and strut should be the measured diameter of your flex cable. In other words, if you had an extra flex cable, its' width should fit between your strut and prop.

RC Competitor
    ReglarGuy, thanks for all of the help you provide in this section.

I just bought a new Spartan yesterday and haven't even opened the box yet. I'm going to gather my thoughts and question together and might be asking you about some of the mods you mentioned. Thanks again for helping us out.

RC Competitor
    Just game.....

Lähetetty minun COL-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

RC Competitor
    The Spartan section really needs a sticky thread where someone can get info on all of these mods on one location.

Stickies will do no good as new threads will still pop up asking the same questions. If we honored every request for someone to sticky a thread then the whole first page will be nothing but stickies and I could retire a couple decades early.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I am very sorry boys.... Imnbä noobie here. And STRAIT addict...

Lähetetty minun COL-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

RC Enthusiast
    I am very new at using rc boats bought a new green Spartan this last spring have run it all summer with dual pickup mod. and different cooling jacket on motor..Run it 2s and 3s with no problems everything stays pretty cool..Its a great boat to experiment with as others have said..Now I'm looking at either a M41 or Veles 29..To add to my collection

Forgot to say there is a lot of experienced guys on here that are more then willing to help with any problems you have.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-27-2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: to add more info, use the edit post button