RC Racer

Running on alcohol

Is it possible to run the TRX 3.3 engine off of a mixture of alcohol and oil?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gru734 View Post
    Is it possible to run the TRX 3.3 engine off of a mixture of alcohol and oil?
    Based on my knowledge of auto engines I would think 100% methanol would make it hard to start and decrease the power substantially because of the lower btu content. You might consider 5 to 10% nitro to alleviate this. On an auto engine you could change timing and rejet the carb or increase injector size or timing to overcome this, not something easily done on a two stroke engine.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Ok thanks! That answers my question.

All Nitro RC fuel is methanol based already with added nitro for these small engines to have power and 2 cycle lubricant for well (lubrication). Just straight methanol and 2 cycle oil, no it wouldn't work there isn't enough engine displacement for it to work correctly.

RC poster
    Probably won't work. The plug is kept hot by catalytic action of methanol on the platinum element.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-07-2018 at 07:40 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vevage View Post
    Probably won't work. The plug is kept hot by catalytic action of methanol on the platinum element.
    It can be done. I've done it. 75%methanol and 25% Castrol Benol racing castor. I had a TRX 2.5R (T-Maxx)engine that lasted through 15 gallons of it before it wore out. You need a hot plug. In my Nitro Sport Used this fuel but it ran inconsistently (due to the low performance design of the Pro 15) so I switched to Omega 15% airplane fuel. It runs like a champ now.