RC Enthusiast

Summit mid-grade ESC/Motor upgrade advice?

Hi all,

First post here! I'll be getting a stock Summit soon, and am thinking of upgrading the ESC and Motor, but not to insane levels. I'd be happy to only hit ~30mph (compared to the stock 20ish), and I want no-hassle waterproof electronics if possible... And of course at a reasonable price.

I've been reading posts here a bit and it seems like everyone recommends Mamba Monster or Tekin combos, but those seem like overkill for me, and some of them require special mods to be waterproof or require you to remove the fan on the ESC when going in water. Not to mention the price...

Advise away!

And thanks,
    JonnyO2

Welcome to the traxxas life. Hobbywing wp sc8 120a and a 2650kv motor is what I run. No problems yet. I can run 2s to 4s just a change in the setting with the card and good to go. Good luck

Breaking parts one run at a time

Iíd gladly give up waterproof every day for sensored system every day and twice on Sunday. It make a difference with the more technical bits of trail, but it you are just blasting through a field (why with a Summit?) then it wonít matter.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies. The lobbying combo sounds pretty good. Rustlerstein - What's your top speed with that setup.

Ksb - I've been looking at Holmes Hobby options which come with waterproofing on the sensor boards, but I can't figure out which motors there would be best. Any advice there?

RC Enthusiast
    A belated follow-up... I ultimately decided on a Hobbywing MAX8 combo, and my first speed runs are showing 31mph on 4S (up from 18mph stock.) Temps are good too, and it can still drive slowly with no problems as far as I can tell.

RC poster
    Thanks a lot for the update. I'm also looking at the 30mph range, not insane, same as you.

Can you please tell me
    - which combo exact you bought (ESC, motor kV)?
    - if the system is sensored or sensorless? If sensorless, how is the crawling behavior?

Regards,
    Ben

RC Enthusiast
    OK, that's strange - I thought I just replied but it's not showing up... Well, apologies if this comes up as a (somewhat shorter) re-post:

I got the Hobbywing MAX8 2000kv Sensorless combo:
    https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...ant=6409672580

As far as I can tell it doesn't have any problems at low speed, but I haven't tried "crawling" per-se. I chose the system partly based on a youtube video showing the same setup crawling just fine though.

BTW - 30mph on a Summit feels pretty darn fast to me - that's a lot of momentum! But if some day I get used to it and want more, I can try 6s, so it's nice to still have room to grow...

RC poster
    Thanks a lot for sharing.
    Can you post the youtube Video where you saw this sensorles combo?

Currently I'm aiming at a Hobbywing 2200kV sensored Combo.

Another question,
    Which pinion/spour do you use, stock setup (which one is stock by the way)?

Regards,
    Ben

Sorry for the much delayed response. I don't run any gps or anything but I would have to guess that it is well into the 30mph and wheelies a lot more and longer. I put the hobbywing ezrun sensored and 2200kv on my emaxx and it spends more time on the roof than on the wheels. 1/4 throttle is fun anything more it's upside down.

RC Enthusiast
    Here's that youtube video showing a sensorless Hobbywing setup working well at low speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcks2EIoJPk

Quote Originally Posted by rustlerstein View Post
    it spends more time on the roof than on the wheels. 1/4 throttle is fun anything more it's upside down.
    I had that experience upgrading my daughter's ECX Ruckus to brushless on 3s. Insta-flip. So she only runs 2s and 75% max throttle... but that's a story for a different forum.

RC Champion
    I would spring for the CC sensored system. JMHO, but when you want to crawl really slow youíll get some clogging with a sensor less motor. It might not be bad, but it just doesnít have the smoothness of a sensored system. And also upgrading the Summit to brushless will in the end lead to diff issues even on 4s. Been there and done that. Iíve a 1st gen ERBE and I blew diffs left and right until I got tired of the thing. It has been totally torn down and now sits in a bin. My Summit with the 18vdc dewalt motor and the MMM ESC. Itís so smooth with this combo and on 4s things stay cool.

RC poster
    @Rustlerstein,
    Thanks a lot for the infos. But if 1/4 throttle is enough, why not changing the spour/pinion? Or setting the Controller to 50% for "full throttle"?

@222,
    I also found Videos on Youtube that with a sensorless system it's not smooth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewmu0u1MvSE
    And yes, of course there are videos showing sensorless systems work as well

2nd, a colleague told me he also killed some rear diffs with his brushless Summit. That's exactly what I fear. He went for "shimming" the diff, afterwards no problem with that. As I'm new to the RC/car szene I can't tell you more, but I think you know what it is (I just googled it).

About the 18V Dewalt motor,
    I know there is lots of information (which I read) in the FAQ. But which motor (part no.) exactly did you purchase? I read the 14,4V should be better, but this is overpowered?

In addition, the most interesting question with the 18V Dewalt, what was the benefit? I have enough torque with the existing stock motor Titan 775. I just want to have a bit more top speed (as the author of this thread).
    --> Does the Dewalt 18V give you more top speed? If so, how much?

Thanks a lot,
    Benjamin

Being able to have the power when I want. I normally run 3s or 4s which helps keep the front end down, when I run 6s is when the back flips occur. I've just been too lazy to change the gearing.

RC Champion
    I run an 18vdc motor from an old rigid drill I had laying around. And yes the 14vdc motors will make more speed with the same voltage applied, but the 18v motor should run cooler and you can always gear up to compensate for the difference. If you have a 14v drill or can get one for relatively cheap you can pull the motor and be set. As far as the diffs, yes Iíve had my share of broken ones. Setting the slipper clutch and also the addition of using the MMM ESC gives me some better options for controlling power. The sensored system and shimmed diffs May work, but if you start tearing diffs up, you may end up like me with a $1200 1st gen brushless erect in a bin all apart because I got so tired of replacing the diffs and related parts that I spent more time fixing the darn thing than I did playing. And that was just on 4s. 6s and the thing would tear itself apart. Now my Summit is perfect for me. Not too fast, just enough to have a good time bashing and not worry about tearing things up. Donít get me wrong, I wouldnít refuse a new CC sensored setup!! With all the new options you should be able to tone down the power some as to not tear the diffs up. Your friend did the right thing shimming his diffs. It helps a lot. That and setting slipper clutch and lastly a light trigger finger!!! Good luck with the build and have fun!! Good day.

RC Champion
    The 14v will have better speed, but will run hotter then the 18v. And the speed difference can be made up with gearing. And still have less heat. Hope this helps. Again, good day.

RC Qualifier
    Congratulations on getting a Hobbywing motor/esc combo! I suggest buying the Hobbywing WiFi Express Module to program your esc. I can’t wait to see your summit on 6s!!!
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC poster
    Thank you all for your good input.
    I got a sensored Hobbywing Brushless Set and think about building it in (or not ).

Regards,
    Ben

RC Qualifier
    My best recommendation is a Hobbywing Xerun Xr8 Plus ESC and Hobbywing Xerun 8th scale motor. the Hobbywing MODULE-E external cappack is also a great thing to have. In terms of lipos, buy from SMC. Hope this helps!

-Ev
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC poster
    Seems good. I just fear the Diffs won't make it. A friend broke 3 diffs before shimming the rear diff, then it could withstand the brushless force.

Ben

RC Racer
    IMO if you want to upgrade the motor, go for a brushless sensored system, you will gain power AND runtime !! you can crawl with a sensored system, but you will have lot of power, so yes you will kill the diff (soon or later, for me, I broke the front diff on a crawling spot)
    if you want to be at peace, my advice is to go with the Leading Edge Machining part....
    I'm running my Summit on a Skyrc "combo" 1350kv on 6S 19/65 (but waiting for a 21T pinion...)
    LEM diff cup, and gear, shimmed, and I add some hot glue in the bulkhead

I really enjoy running in the forest, but I like to take it to the old BMX track too!! (I broke a lot of parts but none on the transmission)

"souvent fauchť toujours marteau !"