Thread: Problems

RC Enthusiast

Problems

Well, don't want to make this long drawn out post but, I recently started flying again and my alias has been acting weird as in, if you let off throttle it will just fall or at times turn upside down. I have changed to MMW motors black edition. Changed gears, shafts, replace lens, replaced some bearings, all props look fine with no cracks or bends just some scratches. Also did transmitter reset and factory reset. If you stay on throttle it will fly ok. Just, not the same as out of box. Was wondering if anybody had anymore suggestions. Thanks in advance

Well, unfortunately this sounds similar to my very first motor failure (the stockers). I tested mine out on the ground when I started having difficulties like yours is now. I found that at very low throttle, one rotor would not start until I gave it a lot more throttle, at that point lifting off kind of wonky. Flight was erratic, and sometimes ending up flopped upside down in the grass.

I swapped out all of the stock motors to the exact motors you are running now (the black mmw 17k's) and have not had another issue. When I built my second Alias, I went with the silver can 15k motors just to see if I could "feel" a difference in performance. I didn't really notice a difference, both MMW sets run strong.

Hopefully you still have a stock motor to swap out a suspected faulty motor just to troubleshoot (I would not mix motors for a long term solution, just long enough to identify a bad motor).

Anything beyond motors, I would think the problem would be in the flight controller board (in the quad), or possibly that the transmitter is having issues. I know that's vague though.. sorry man. Hope you get it sorted out.

Power up the throttle a little bit while holding the Alias in hand. Dip each corner to verify the motor speeds up in an attempt to level itself out. The motor that struggles to do so is bad.

Be sure to replace the proper direction motor. With Traxxas it is easy: red to red plugs and black to black. Also, the board has "A" and "B" written on it, make sure it matches the blade.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Well, thanks a lot guys. I will do all suggested. I still have old motors and will see.

I flew today and it was the same thing was flying ok as long as I gave it throttle. I then skip hit the grass and landed. Nothing wrong with quad. No cracks, bends scrapes. Now it just flips over. ugh. Taking it apart now.

RC Enthusiast
    well I gave up. Found a motor that was bad or at least I thought. Took that motor out and replaced it. Then, tried the level test and then the other side didn't work. Replaced that one. Then the back left stopped. Took the motor from the front right and put in back left and then it worked wth. SO, I am chalking it up to bad board. I will buy another in the near future. Thanks for the help.