RC poster

Snapped Castle 1415-2400kv motor shaft

Ok, against most advice read here, I replaced a stripped plastic spur gear with a metal one in my Slash Platinum 4x4.

After 2 3s packs, I snapped the shaft on the motor. It’s the 3.175mm (1/8")

Recommendations on motor replacement? I like the Castle 1415, currently paired with a Mamba Max Pro SCT esc.

I have MIP axles, alum center diffamd lots of other upgrades. I normally run 2S and 3S for bash.

Should I just replace with a new 1415 with the 5mm axle? Any opportunity to upgrade th motor? And throw the metal spur gear away?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-19-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: corrected shaft size

RC Qualifier
    Hey, don’t throw away the spur or the broken motor shaft. I’ll take em off your hands! Heck, I’ll take the stripped plastic spur gear too! I had no idea that using metal spurs is bad! I’ll have to research that! If I were you, I’d probably go and buy the 5mm shaft... then check the bearings in the motor.
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC Champion
    Good work on breakage
    Be hard to get a 5mm shaft to fail
    fabricator

Castle Creations has a 2400 motor that comes stock with a 5mm shaft. You may want to contact them and see if you are able to make it work for your motor.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

The second time my 1415-2400kv motor bearings failed I decided to use my MMPro to its fullest abilities by purchasing a 4-Pole brushless sensored 36x63 mm motor with 5mm shaft. At $65.99 it was a lot cheaper than a repair or replacement in kind, is available in a range of KV, and ships from the US. (California is technically the US, right? ) It is a Hobbystar motor from RCJuice. I also power my Summit with the 1/8 truggy/monster truck sensored 40x74 mm motor from the same place, and for one dollar less. Both motors come with the required sensor cable for the MMPro, but the X-series of ESCs still require an additional harness/adapter. I have been very happy with both motors.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-22-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

I would also look at your motor plate. I had the same motor snap the shaft right where it tapers down from 1/8"to 5mm. Had it rebuilt by castle, first run snapped it again. Turns out my STRC aluminum motor plate was slightly warped.

I was wondering about hobbystar motors. I think I might try one out.

RC Qualifier
    They seem fine to me, but I’ve never used one before.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Castle Creations has a 2400 motor that comes stock with a 5mm shaft. You may want to contact them and see if you are able to make it work for your motor.
    Thanks, I will check with them re: non warranty replacement w a 5mm shaft...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    It is a Hobbystar motor from RCJuice.
    Thanks I will investigate this!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I would also look at your motor plate. I had the same motor snap the shaft right where it tapers down from 1/8"to 5mm. Had it rebuilt by castle, first run snapped it again. Turns out my STRC aluminum motor plate was slightly warped.
    Wow I will check this as well....I have the STRC plate....thanks!

I found the last 1415 repair kit known to man on eBay and replaced mine with the 5mm rotor. I always check here and there to see if I can find another.

I was wondering about hobbystar motors. I think I might try one out.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvHexRC View Post
    They seem fine to me, but Iíve never used one before.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilkman View Post
    Thanks I will investigate this!
    Iíll never claim that theyíre the best, and I donít push my motors to the edge anymore, but for me both have been solid performers. Mine came boxed thus:

Youíll have to solder the motor wires. Iíve never had an easier time soldering wires to terminals.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC poster
    I found the last 1415 repair kit known to man on eBay and replaced mine with the 5mm rotor. I always check here and there to see if I can find another.
    I looked but couldn't find one.

RC poster
    So, I ended up ordering a Leopard 3670 V2 2400KV from RCJUICE for $55.99 w free shipping.

The Castle non-warranty upgrade was $63. Jason from Castle support said they don't have replacement rotors/shafts "AS OF YET" maybe in the future?

We'll see how the Leopard works. It's 70mm long (same as the 1415 from Castle)

I think you will be happy with it. I have never personally owned one, but I've heard good things. Yeah the repair kits have been discontinued for years. I found mine after periodically looking for about 2 years. It was 55$. Not too far off from a repair job from castle.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gilkman View Post
    So, I ended up ordering a Leopard 3670 V2 2400KV from RCJUICE for $55.99 w free shipping.

The Castle non-warranty upgrade was $63. Jason from Castle support said they don't have replacement rotors/shafts "AS OF YET" maybe in the future?

We'll see how the Leopard works. It's 70mm long (same as the 1415 from Castle)
    I’ve heard great stuff about leopard; you should be gold!(or red that is...hehhehheh)

RC poster
    So if it doesn't have a 5mm shaft what size is it if it's smaller. Sorry been years since i ran it and stripped the pinion need to replace it any help thank you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    3mm or 3.2mm canít remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    3mm or 3.2mm canít remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you sir

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk