RC Enthusiast

EXPERT MODE - Any Hints?

Unbelievable!! I have max'd out in Sport mode but keep dumping it in the expert mode. Went thru 3 sets of props and have maybe 5 minutes of panic fly time. Can somebody help?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Yes, it's a big jump to Expert mode from sport . The biggest thing I've found is that in Sport we can just jam the sticks ...cut/thrust flying. In Expert it's all about nice easy movements with the sticks . It helped me to keep the rates at max so as to be able to get a good angle to stop / change directions when needed quickly.
    Practice just moving side to side with the nose away from you ... work your way up to being able to stop and hover quickly then doing 360 spins keeping it level ... before trying any tricks

keeping over soft ground helps too :-)

RC Qualifier
    Altitude is your friend...
    Remember, the Aton has something that most other quads don't have... Bailout options. As long as you keep a decent altitude, you can always use the air brake or RTH to get you out of a jam. 😋
    Maxing out your rates and learning that way is the best way to go, but it isn't for everyone. Remember that your stick sensitivity will increase as you move your rates up. Like hemidoo said... Slow small movements, as a little goes a long way.
    Just take your time and gradually get use to it. Keep decent altitude and try to get use to using your bailout options. You will be hammering it in expert in no time. 😎
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    Altitude is your friend...
    “The most useless thing to a pilot is the air above him.”
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Enthusiast
    Ah, very good to suggest the rates be high because I was set for min and it would not react fast enough! That's a good starter for sure! Easy movements instead of the hard sticks in Sport. I was too hard on the sticks. Is it possible to do a barrel roll maintaining fast speed? I can't wrap my head over the stick movements for that?

Thanks for the tips..........

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, the air brakes button was used a lot to get some flying time but was too slow in response when I needed it the most at altitude.....crash! Will set my rates to max. Thanks very much for the vote of confidence!

RC Qualifier
    Air brakes work great while learning , Once you learn how to stop fast in expert ... you wont hardly need it anymore .

Barrel roll in Sport or Expert ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ernieshortstop View Post
    Is it possible to do a barrel roll maintaining fast speed? I can't wrap my head over the stick movements for that?

Thanks for the tips..........
    I don't know if you would call it a barrel roll, because unlike a plane that is pulled by the prop, quads rely on angle to gain speed, but sorta. I did them with my 200qx and saw one of the moderators here in a video doing them with an Alias...
    gain speed, level out and coast briefly, roll quickly, gain speed again.

duplicated, sorry.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-22-2018 at 06:49 AM. Reason: merge
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, I have already set it at 100% but have not tried yet. Not flying while I rethink this expert mode. The same reluctance to fly was with me when going from film to sport. Looking back, I don't know what I was so afraid of? Yes, hemi tell me how you would do a barrel roll in EXPERT. Also, if you would be so kind as to share some of your favorite expert moves.....thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    Well, the small movements was the key. I flew in Expert for 10 minutes just keeping it aloft and side to side. It was windy 15-20mph. As I headed into the wind a gust pulled it down fast and I over reacted with a hard right that had me thinking of my Sport mode bailout i.e., let go stick and hit throttle, wrong, wrong, crashed hard. damage to frame and 1 motor. This crash will cost me but had gained some confidence........thanks!

RC Qualifier
    you'll get it ! I've Changed a few frames myself learning . Love flying mine in strong winds , The Aton has a lot of power to save you .

RC Enthusiast
    I say that all the time "like flying in high winds" but that was in Sport. I flew twice in sport today with 25mph gusts, lots of manual flips. Would you say that Expert is that much better than Sport? Is it worth it? thank you!

RC Qualifier
    It's more of a challenge for sure !

RC Enthusiast
    What's got me really confused is the Aton stick's behavior vs. flying RC planes. If I move the stick left and back to zero, the affect is that the Aton will bank left but stay in that position even though the stick is back at zero? I must give it an equal right to get it back level. Is that because auto leveling is off in expert? Why doesn't it have proportional control like flying RC planes?

The control is proportional. The more you move the stick the faster the Aton will rotate in that direction. Expert mode is also called "rate" mode. This means you're controlling the rate of movement with a given stick input. You have to counter any movement the Aton makes manually, there is no more auto-level feature unless you hit the air brakes button.

Film and Fast modes will both auto-level when you let go of the sticks. Both modes also use the on-board computer to calculate a degree of tilt for a given stick input. For example, if you move the stick 50% of the way, this means the Aton tilts to a set number of degrees, lets say 10° just for a reference point. If you move the stick 100% of the way then the Aton will tilt 20°.

In Expert mode moving the stick 50% of the way means Aton rotates in that direction at half speed, going to 100% means it rotates at full speed. Releasing the stick stops the movement, but does not return the Aton to a level position. That's your job as the pilot. If you keep holding the stick Aton will eventually make a complete revolution in that direction, hopefully before it hits the ground.

I'm also not sure what planes you're flying, but in my experience a plane behaves in a similar way unless its a trainer style airplane designed to be self-recovering or has some sort of on-board assist to auto-level.

The best advice I can give for expert mode is be ready to hit Air Brakes and be 20 - 30 feet up in the air. Have the control rates turned down pretty far on the radio for expert mode and focus on just trying to keep it hovering initially. Remember that any movement or tilt has to be countered by you as the pilot. Practice moving it out and back, side to side, learning how to start movement and stop movement when you want. Then slowly expand from there.

Expert mode makes Aton a completely new animal to fly. It's a lot of fun, but can have a sharp learning curve too.
    Last edited by TireSlinger; 04-18-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.