RC poster

Help with speed issues after upgrading to vxl

Have a stampede 4x4 and upgraded from brushed to brushless vxl combo, changed pinion gear from stock 9t to 12t, running 2cell lipo, I get 25 mph max. I see everywhere that the stampede 4x4 out of box stock is running 30 mph and with my set up I thought I would see 40 mph. Would could be the issue or is this right?
    Stampede 4x4

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackeduptaco View Post
    I see everywhere that the stampede 4x4 out of box stock is running 30 mph and with my set up I thought I would see 40 mph. Would could be the issue or is this right?
    The ring gears in the VXL are different. They change the overall gear ratio making it faster than the XL-5. You could replace these gears, or just use a higher tooth pinion to compensate. Here's the parts if you want to replace them:

Ring gear front TRA5379x
    Ring gear rear TRA6879

You'll need to go higher on the pinion or change out the diff gears to the vxl versions to get faster speeds. The brushed diffs are geared way lower than the vxl.

RC Competitor
    My stampede was the XL-5 (brushed) like yours. I still have the XL-5 ring gears in mine and it runs 41 mph according to my phone GPS.

My setup is:

17t pinion, 54t spur, Maclan 550 3500kv motor, 3s 5200mah lipo

RC Competitor
    If I was you I would change the whole diff package front/rear to the XO-1 diffs. 6882X gets you the right gears internal, then you also need the diff case with the metal inserts, and both new ring and pinion gears (the F/R pinions are different but the diff is same)
    Stampede 4X4

RC Competitor
    According to my research the spider gears 6882x are the same in both trucks, unless they used something different in earlier models. I bought my truck a couple of months ago and am thinking of making the jump myself.

Yep, spider gears are the same.

RC Enthusiast
    I spoke to a Traxxas rep and was advised to go with a 15 or 16 tooth pinion (32 pitch) to keep a silimar gear ratio as the VLX 4X4’s.

I run 2 cell with the castle sct sv3/3800kv motor and 13/52 gearing and pro-line trencher 2.8 tires. Mine tops out right at 40mph. It's faster than the vxl/3500 was. Originally, I ran 2.8" chevrons with the vxl/3500 and castle sct sv3/3800 with the same gearing. The castle was a bit faster due to the extra few rpm's it can reach. It's not as torquey.

Anyway, just saying all that to let you know 12t/54t is not going to get you to 40mph even with the proper diff gears, so you will definitely need to go up on your pinion to compensate for the diff gears.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

also you can try the 8 cell I think it is nmh, they wont run as long as your lipos or have constant output they will lower voltage as you use it but while they high in charge youll get more speed if you don't want to go 3s but like the others are saying its probably gearing