RC Competitor

Is there a way to put a slipper clutch in a udr

Has anyone ever put a slipper clutch in a udr?

RC Qualifier
    I suspect that you might be able to replace the gear reduction (planetary) units with modified Traxxas slipper clutches.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry, I should have specified, the Slash 4X4 or Stampede slipper clutches. Some of Traxxas' shaft driven 4X4 options might have slipper clutches you can modify to fit.

The biggest downside I can think of is that you want slipper clutches to be easily accessible for adjustments in the field. Neither of the planetaries are in easily accessible locations.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the feedback. I don’t think I want to take out the planetary gears. I was just wondering because rear driveshaft keeps getting worn out and it’s an mip. What driveshaft do you use and does it hold up

RC Qualifier
    I use the stock driveshaft, but I only run 4S and I drive pretty carefully.

Even on 4S, I can only get 30 battery packs or so out of a driveshaft before the buzzsaw noise drives me to swap it out.

RC Competitor
    With the mip I probably get 15 to 20 packs on 6s to make me go insane

RC Qualifier
    The 4wd traxxas that use slipper clutch do so in place of a more expensive center diff. The UDR already has a center diff so adding slipper might be putting a hat on a hat.

RC poster
    I don’t think a slipper clutch would solve that, also the UDR is far to heavy for a conventional slipper. Just wondering what exactly is happening? I’ve been running my UDR pretty hard on 6s for over a year now, and have only worn out one drive shaft. Might be something else that’s not right that’s causing premature ware on the drive shaft.

RC Qualifier
    I suspect driving style and terrain are factors in driveshaft wear.

For example, my truck doesn't see much air time, but it does go through all of its rear travel several times in one lap while on the throttle. There is some very rough terrain at my track.

Being on the throttle at full drop-out is probably what kills driveshafts the fastest.

So even though I don't drive very fast, my truck spends a fair amount of time with the rear axle at full drop out while I'm on the throttle. Plus, I'm driving in dry, sandy, dusty terrain mostly.

A slipper clutch would help a bit to stop the jarring of the driveshaft drive pins when the rear axle gets unweighted and weighted again, but it wouldn't totally solve the problem.

Either way, I don't think the UDR needs a slipper clutch.
    Last edited by Fallen; 12-25-2020 at 09:09 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thats a good point. My truck spends a lot of time in the air and I drive it pretty hard. I was just thinking that a slipper clutch would ease to power in instead of not having any power sent to the rear axle until it gets enough traction then a lot of power getting sent to the axle.