Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    RC poster
    New here and just purchased a UDR Foxbody. Has anyone tried a larger pinion, say 34 tooth on up? I'd be interested in knowing what speeds a 4s battery achieves. I know the 6s is fast.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Today I cleaned all the dirt out of the rear axle
    -replacing the frozen bearings,and the melted wheel hex and bearing retainer,
    which are stuck/melted onto the axle
    All the dust inside has worn the pinions,and chipped a ring gear tooth
    The third member Housing needs lube all around the grove,to seal debris out
    When did you last check your udrís axles condition
    How much dirt are you getting it there? I only got a couple runs on mine but the last one I was in some powder. I would think you could silicone it back together. After this weekend I plan on tearing mine down. I did check the front diff and it didnít have much in it compared to the first UDR I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Rear axle drama
    1/2 Teaspoon of powder removed today, after just giving the ring and spur gears a lite spray of wd40
    No other lube-
    Axle bound up -crud / old lube jammed in between every tooth
    Applied a few drops of 20wt shock oil on cleaned planetary gears
    Cleaned and lubed axle bearings also pinion bearing was dirty/gritty

Links for 33t and above motor pinion gears wanted
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    search xo-1 high-speed pinion. (34t, 5mm, mod 1)

RC Qualifier
    UDR has 0.8mod 32 pitch
    32t pinion highest available found on eBay

Drift on
    fabricator

RC Racer
    After 4 runs I tore the rear diff and like everyone else I had a lot of dirt in there. I cleaned it up, greased it and siliconed the housing so that should seal it up good.

RC Competitor
    Wow! I'm afraid what I'll find when I open mine!

RC Racer
    My Baja rey lets a little dirt in too but nothing close to this one. I siliconed it and itís clean every time I open it up so hoping the UDR will be the same.

RC Competitor
    Ran mine around before it rained yesterday......deciding if I want to keep it or get rid of it......more of a racer...not really a basher!

RC Racer
    Going to replace the servo before it goes out. Picked up a 1268 black edition savox. Not crazy fast at .11 and has 340 oz.

RC Competitor
    You'll like it better.

RC Racer
    Iím not sure what they were thinking using the same spec servo as a slash in this. I noticed when jumping the servo wasnít centering causing roll overs so I think anything is better then stock.

RC Qualifier
    Not centering could be sign of a getting worn out / sticky servo saver
    Changed out to new servo saver after new servo didn’t fixed centering

Ran #1 UDR outback in the Desert 114 degrees today
    Sent it Racing back inside to the A/C after 20 laps
    Not Global Warming- just hot here

Get out there and play
    Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 07-06-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    fabricator

RC Racer
    Itís brand new itís done it since day one. Itís a junk servo for a truck this heavy

RC Racer
    So i did something I have only done once with my truck... ran the truck til the batteries died without breaking anything lol

So this is my Rigid UDR. I didnt care for the Fox body. I added a bumper which is ok. It doesnt tighten up the way you would expect but it hooks on to the existing bumper nicely

[IMG][/IMG]

I also added aluminum brake discs on all 4 corners and the axle retainers.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Then I bought a skid plate which I semi regret. It does its job but the fit is terrible. This picture is after only one run.

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    Binding in rear axle again
    Center Planetary shaft bearing
    Tra7020 8x12x3.5mm Failed
    Many small ball bearings inside
    Gear bearings tra7019R 4x8x3mm
    3-6 month maintenance suggested
    Make it that far- If you’re Lucky
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Replace rear diff/planetary gears due to losing the inside bearing, then the balls falling out inside, destroying everything. 100% new axle installed.
    Slash 4x4 XMaxx Ford GT TRX-4 UDR

RC poster
    Installed murat-rc window nets, and GRC tube chassis 0.5mm side metal plate set. This should be the last time im pulling the body off unless I break something....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Boomer how is your truck so clean? I wish mine was that clean still.

RC Racer
    Itís easy to keep it clean, just donít drive it in the dirt.

RC Racer
    This is from the day after I installed my new (cheap) skid plates.

[IMG][/IMG]

I was playing in a construction site with some tall grass and I think I "found" a brick or a chunk of concrete!

After my 4s batteries died I decided to run 6s. It was too fast on pavement so I went back to the dirt/grass and modest jumps on 4s became giant jumps on 6s. I broke one shock shaft and the dogbone fell out. I didnt break a control arm but it stressed the upper enough for the dogbone to pop out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hobby shop has them on ordered. While I was there they talked me into new CVDs for the rustler, new wheels for it also.

Speaking of new wheels *drum roll* I finally found new wheels and tires thatll fit and look stock!!! The tires and rims from the SC8 will work perfect but... They are out of stock everywhere I looked lol

So I was searching (rather hopelessly) and I found these instead. They are a 1/2" taller than stock but I figured thats only 1/4" thatll get shoved into the body on hard landings! They are from a Arrma Talion 6s

RC Racer
    but theres no scratches or nothing! That poor Desert Racer has never seen dirt! Its like the RC equivalent of a Jeep Wrangler (99.9% of them anyways lol)

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Teae View Post
    Boomer how is your truck so clean? I wish mine was that clean still.
    Many many hours with rc cleaner , simple green assorted brushes and distilled water

RC poster
    but theres no scratches or nothing! That poor Desert Racer has never seen dirt! Its like the RC equivalent of a Jeep Wrangler (99.9% of them anyways lol)
    Its all scratched up umder the skid plates. I havent had the chance to run it since installing the skid plates due to my son and myself being sick. Plus work has been getting in the way.
    Oh and it does see dirt / rocks/ compost piles when i have down time at work. I xlean the **** out of it due to how nasty the stuff is at work.

RC Enthusiast
    Ran the UDR 3 times without breaking anything...a freaking record.

I keep ordering parts that I think I'll break soon hahaha. For sure I'm going to miss the one I actually need...

The front is pretty skeaky though...seems to "run dry" on the end of the axle near the wheels. And the front left tires wabbles a little. The cup seems to be fine (rebuilt the front diff before those runs). Do you think it could be the driveshaft bone or the stub axle ?

RC Racer
    Credit where credit is due Boomerz, that is a great looking truck

RC Racer
    Chuck I know exactly how you feel. I havent gotten 3 in a row yet though lol. The 7600mah batteries give me about 20 minutes of run time and a LOT can go wrong in 20 minutes lol

RC poster
    Credit where credit is due Boomerz, that is a great looking truck
    Thank you

RC Qualifier
    Aww yeah
    Out Early at the track
    All morning enjoying the cool desert racing
    Really nice- = happy Laps, blasting up- down - some cart wheeling down
    Zoom round -jump city - just bashing the Traxxas out of it
    ++ Still smiling
    And It / they > still want to go : )

What a great toy
    fabricator

RC Racer
    Rear end started making a clicking sound and then immediately locked up. No movement at all. Tore the rear axle apart and found this in the planetary gears

[IMG][/IMG]

Cleaned all the pinions and ring gear then re-greased. I did notice in tear down and rebuild that the aluminum brake discs I installed came apart SO much easier.

RC Racer
    I am itchy to pull the trigger on a UDR or an XMaxx. Eventually I would like to have both, but wifey will kill me if there isnt a sufficient cool down time between purchases...

anyway, how many of you all have both and which do you find yourself going to more often? I really like them both and imagine that I cant go wrong either way, but I'd like to hear what you think. I know others have written about this, but after reading this thread I see that you guys are running and fixing the UDR alot, so I'm guessing your perspectives would be good to know. I hope you dont mind answering.....I'll beat it to another forum if you think this question has been beat to death already!

Thanks in advance!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    I am itchy to pull the trigger on a UDR or an XMaxx. Eventually I would like to have both, but wifey will kill me if there isnt a sufficient cool down time between purchases...

anyway, how many of you all have both and which do you find yourself going to more often? I really like them both and imagine that I cant go wrong either way, but I'd like to hear what you think. I know others have written about this, but after reading this thread I see that you guys are running and fixing the UDR alot, so I'm guessing your perspectives would be good to know. I hope you dont mind answering.....I'll beat it to another forum if you think this question has been beat to death already!

Thanks in advance!
    It really depends on what you plan on doing with them. I have both and run them both equally.....but in different ways. They are both extremely fun in their respective ways. But I would have to say that if I could only have one, it would definitely be my xmaxx. It is the one truck I own that I can do just dang near anything to and it just keeps coming back for more. Dont get me wrong, I love my udr, But the xmaxx is just a beast.

RC Racer
    Thanks. That seems to be a popular sentiment. It is the scale factor ofthe UDR that really draws me in, and the fact that it can perform too! It is a sweet combination. The Xmaxx is something else.

Love to hear more opinions.

RC Racer
    If youíre looking for a pure basher the UDR isnít for you. The first one I had I was a little hard on it and it broke a lot. Nothing major just stuff like upper links, sway bars, steering knuckles and a arms. So I sold it but ended up buying another one and I drive it more scale I guess you would call it but still drive it hard and I like to jump it. If you donít huck it off cliffs and do stupid stuff with it itís an amazing truck. The only thing Iv broke is a lower a arm but it was my fault. Just make sure you replace the servo before it fails, seal the rear diff and trans and youíre good. It does allow a lot of dirt in the rear diff but itís an easy fix. I only run 4s on mine and i get through 3-4 packs a week with no issues.

RC Competitor
    I was torn too - but I reflected on running my other vehicles - Slash, Emaxx/TMaxx. I had the most fun with my Slash. Go X if you want to bash. UDR if you want scale realism. It's a bigger Slash (kind of). It's not meant for jumping high (just like the one in real life) - it's meant to look like a Trophy / Baja Truck.

I chose the UDR - but you'll be happy with either.
    Last edited by TraxxasTigger; 07-16-2018 at 09:25 PM.

RC Racer
    ben1272 I have both the xmaxx and the UDR. I LOVE driving my UDR. Its truly amazing to just drive. It can handle small jumps like 12" height max and tiny whoops and "scale" size jumps. Running the truck on 4s is perfect for driving it. On 6s the UDR is monstrous. TSM off with 6s is a joke. With a few aluminum upgrades ( I highly recommend the aluminum brake discs) and scale driving I promise you will always have a smile on your face with the UDR

The XMAXX on the other hand... I have a 6s Xmaxx with 8s diffs and rpm hub carriers. On 6s the Xmaxx is a blast to jump around and beat on. From a stand still full forward or reverse will put the truck on its roof. The area I play on is mostly flat with a big ditch so the xmaxx spends most of its time jumping in and out of it lol. Ive had the truck 10ft in the air with no damage. A 12" jump with the xmaxx is a joke. it soaks it up like a speed bump.

Honestly I think it comes down to 2 very important factors: Do you want to drive or bash? 2nd: Do you have a good place (fairly close too) that you can drive or bash on. Personally I dont get to bash the xmaxx that much so I spend a lot of time chasing my kids around lol.

Like TraxxasTigger said, youll be happy with either.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the nice replies. You make a good point about having a place to bash. I dont have one within walking distance (unless I piles up some dirt.....my back yard is large enough for this I think.....)

I have always enjoyed scale modeling too, of all types, so I am thinking that the UDR could scratch that itch, allowing me to super detail a show body, make some aluminum/carbon upgrades, scale lights, etc. I am definitely leaning UDR.

I would love to try racing and the UDR seems like a truck that could generate the interest to pull people together to race? A sanctioned Traxxas series would be awesome, but I know setting these races up is a huge chore.

RC Racer
    I was so excited about my new tires and wheels that I forgot about PPP (prior proper planning) and completely forgot about wheel offset. I have these adapters that work great for 17mm wheels to fit on the standard 17mm hex that comes standard on the truck. Learn from my mistakes folks. If I run the truck again I might cut my upper a-arm in half!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Fitted the associated SC8 wheels/tires. They are too weak to handle the weight of this truck though. I pealed them off the bead in about 5 laps on my track. They do look cool not in motion though.
    Slash 4x4 XMaxx Ford GT TRX-4 UDR

RC Qualifier
    Replaced the wore out,wide turning,non-centering
    servo saver on the #2 rig today
    fabricator

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast