RC poster

One Way to Lower the Ride Height/ Stance /Chassis of your 2WD Stampede

Iíve seen people ask about lowering the stance of their 2WD Traxxas Stampede for short grass, flat dirt, street etc. (Iím not talking about the body. Thereís plenty of tutorials on that).
    The shock limiting with fuel tubing works, shorter shocks work and the best way to go is one of the wide mods that give you lots of shock mounting options.
    Hereís what I did in 20 min for almost free:
    Find a (preferably cf) shock tower for a touring car (or just use a blank piece of cf and cut it to shape).
    Drill holds that match the shock mounting holes on the stock shock tower. Screw your new piece to the stock shock tower as shown. Use M3 screws.

​​​​​​
    Drill the shock mounting holes at for the ride height you want. Mount the shocks with an M3 Screw, a standoff/spacer between the shock and the new plate (same width as ones on stock tower- the little pieces Traxxas supplies in the preload kit that are used as shoulders for shock screws work) and a lock nut on the back. Mount the bottom of the shocks to the OUTSIDE of the arms using longer M3 screws.

For the back set the truck (with wheels and bottom of shocks off) at the height you want it and simply drill a hole there small enough for an M3 Screw to grab tight. Attach with a screw long enough to go through the front of the arm. It will not bind with the driveshaft as long as the arms are flat or only slightly lower with the shocks fully extended. With the shocks at this angle it is a bit stiffer.

I know itís cheesy and changes the geometry but this isnít for the track. It works quite well and with lowered body mounts really looks cool. Add preload spacers as needed for better return.

If you have any suggestions or better ideas (the point here is doing it cheap) please post them!!

That's pretty COOL! Thanks for the how-to, and super nice looking pictures. That RC looks pretty cherry! I think the rear shock position for the rear will tighten up the handling...could be an improvement! I really like that new stampede front bumper...that design is really nice. Also, that piece of CF on the front shock tower will help with the stock parts flexing. I like it all! Good job. Where's the pic with the body mounted?

Questions:

1. What thickness do you recommend for the CF material?
    2. Have you found a good source online?

RC poster
    Thanks! I’ll post a pic with the body mounted as soon as I lower the front mounts.
    The CF piece I used was actually in a clearance bin at my LHS and was for an old Yokomo car. It’s about 2.5mm thick which I think is enough. I wouldn’t go any thinner. I’ve actually bought small 3mm thick cf sheets on eBay before though pretty cheap.

RC poster
    Here it is with the body. Lowered body posts and lowered Truck. Still handles well on low grass and certainly doesn’t roll over as easily.

RC Racer
    Looks like photosuckit has killed your photo links, any chance of you revising those? I'd like to see this as I've been looking to lower mine in a different way and the shorter shocks tend to bottom out.
    -Dale

Photobucket hasn't supported hot linking for a while. Make an account on imgur.com and load them there, then share them.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Dang, yeah Iíll look to get them up. In the meantime I found another quick and cheap option. Anyone remember skateboard riser pads under the trucks? Well if you cut some lexan (or any material) into 2 plates that are the same size as the bottom of the shock towers and drill the same holes, you can mount them underneath thereby lifting the upper mounting holes and lowering the stance. I havenít tried it so Iím not sure how it affects rear camber links etc.

RC poster

On a semi-related note, www.tinypic.com is a good place to upload pics for linking here.

Great looking truck!

No offense, but it looks a little strange being a lowered monster truck. I would put some no spoke rims and wing on the back. That would totally look cool with the other things I said.