RC Enthusiast

LIPO Run For 10 Min Then Stop...OK To Charge?

I tried to find this with no luck.

What if your bash session gets cut short and you are only able to run for say, 10 minutes? Is it ok to let it cool for a bit, then charge it right up for the next run, or do you have to do some sort of discharge/recharge voodoo?

I would not recharge it. You should still have 15 minutes run time. Run to voltage cutoff then recharge it. Always good to have 2 batteries so you don't have down time if you want to keep running.

Let me get this right. So when you stop after 10 minutes. Are you asking if it can sit for days and then recharge. Or charging shortly after the 10 minute run, and run more the same day. If after the 10 minutes and you don't plan to run for a few days you should do a storage charge. Charger instructions tell you how to maintain a lipo battery. You should always follow them no questions asked....just sayin!
    Last edited by lektro; 03-23-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you! Basically just wondering if I should TRY to hit low voltage cut off every single time I run?
    Last edited by SpeedDemon8; 03-24-2018 at 02:18 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon8 View Post
    Thank you! Basically just wondering if I should TRY to hit low voltage cut off every single time I run?
    I wouldnt do it

LVC is there for reason... it is warning you that the battery is getting far too low....

I have a 12S 5000 mah battery for my rc heli... I never let it go below 50% (3.7-3.8 V/cell) and it is now 7 years old and still is good.... battery is $300-$400 to replace.

Everytime you run to LVC you are using the battery to the full extent.. yes... but lipos do not necessarily like that...

the old statement Batteries are meant to be used to the full extent...

This is true for NiCads and NiMh, not so true for Lipos....
    NiCads and NiMh had a memory for charge, aka the cell remembered what fully charged and what fully discharged was. So it was better to run them till they stopped. Lipos do not they dont care.... Lipos below 3.2 V/Cell is NOT GOOD

My advice:
    If you get 25 minutes before LVC run it for 20 then put it on the charger... you will get better battery life...
    Last edited by RcManChild; 03-25-2018 at 12:38 AM. Reason: change