RC poster

New 10 Scale Summit?

I love my Summit!
    Thinking about getting another one but I've noticed they are getting a little harder to find. I see there is a new 16 scale summit out. Is there a new 10 scale Summit coming out? What if a 10 scale Summit had portal axles?
    I'm not sure what I would change about the Summit, it's an all around awesome beast!

Im gonna go out on a limb and say no portal axles. The summits main forte is a do everything truck. (Speed, jumps, ,trailing, crawling). With portal axles I dont see them surviving speed, and crazy jumps. And repairs wouldn't be nearly as simple as they would on the erevo cantilever suspension /axles set up.

But lately Traxxas has been surprising everyone., so who knows what tricks they have up there sleeves.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Im gonna go out on a limb and say no portal axles. The summits main forte is a do everything truck. (Speed, jumps, ,trailing, crawling). With portal axles I dont see them surviving speed, and crazy jumps. And repairs wouldn't be nearly as simple as they would on the erevo cantilever suspension /axles set up.

But lately Traxxas has been surprising everyone., so who knows what tricks they have up there sleeves.
    noir 522, go to youtube, and search for kevin talbot... You'll see what the truck can handdle!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

Quote Originally Posted by boilo56 View Post
    noir 522, go to youtube, and search for kevin talbot... You'll see what the truck can handdle!
    Noo, I cant go there again. Ive seen that man throw away $500 already. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Let me refrase what I said earlier.

I dont think Traxxas will invest in "1:8" sized portal axles , especially when they have capable axles from the erevo that already fits.

The TRX4 can jump, and is durable, but I thinks its mostly designed as a slow crawler. And I'm betting those portal axles cant take crazy jumps al the time. And getting inside the axles, buying the new gears, setting up those gears. Is not what most summit buyers are looking forward to doing on a routine basis.

But as I said , Traxxas has been surprising everyone l
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

A new Summit built upon the new E-Revo would be cool. Watching videos of destruction for the sake of destruction...not so much.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Keep in mind a summit weighs a fair bit more than a trx 4.all the extra weight would, I guess be harder on the portals.
    Just a guess mind you.

Mountains can't stop me they have tried
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

There not portal axles but a summit member did this to his rig long ago. Like I said tbere not portal axles but they still perform a similar function, additional ground clearance.

Angled control arms

MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    There is a company that makes portals for polaris utvs that bolt to the factory control arms. So a design like that for the summit would be really cool. Heck untill about a year ago nobody though traxxas would ever come out with a scale crawler. And now they have a kit scale crawler. No telling what kinda amazing stuff they will come up with next. And as far a durability goes with the portals, kevin talbot has been beating the crap outa the trx4 on 6s!!!! And he has broken stuff, but not a portal.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

RC poster
    Hmmm...do I wait for a new Summit or get an Xmaxx? I really like my Summit, but the Xmaxx looks fast...and huge. I'm torn. I like speed but I like being able to remotely lock diffs and do some trailing....but I've got a few Nylint Rock Crawlers for that. hmmm....Traxxas is making my life hard.
    Last edited by SkorpionSummit; 04-05-2018 at 10:29 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SkorpionSummit View Post
    Hmmm...do I wait for a new Summit or get an Xmaxx? I really like my Summit, but the Xmaxx looks fast...and huge. I'm torn. I like speed but I like being able to remotely lock diffs and do some trailing....but I've got a few Nylint Rock Crawlers for that. hmmm....Traxxas is making my life hard.
    you might be waiting a while because they haven't actually announced a new 1/10 scale summit, you could always make one brushless so that it can keep up with a Xmaxx tho.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SkorpionSummit View Post
    I bought the Tmaxx a while back for the same reason. I was very disappointed with it and ultimately sold it off. Fun basher but off road was not what i wanted. Would get stuck on every rock and without locking diffs would just spin out. I have looked at the Ultimate Desert Racer (large slash) and it was cool. I just dont think the check book will allow it for a while.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    I really hope they do a Summit 2.0.
    I LOVE my Summit but the diffs are just way to small!
    I blow them up every now and then. And it's a pain to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
    I really hope they do a Summit 2.0.
    I LOVE my Summit but the diffs are just way to small!
    I blow them up every now and then. And it's a pain to replace them.
    Could always do the LEM upgrade. Its cheaper than a new Summit . Mine has full LEM diff and drive shafts upgrade. With a sesored setup - Tekin 2000kv motor & MMX esc, its a beast and have had no issues for a year now. Havent even serviced diffs.
    1/10 Ultimate Summit Combo
    https://store.leadingedgemachining.n....aspx?id=37535

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-10-2018 at 12:30 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Could always do the LEM upgrade. Its cheaper than a new Summit . Mine has full LEM diff and drive shafts upgrade. With a sesored setup - Tekin 2000kv motor & MMX esc, its a beast and have had no issues for a year now. Havent even serviced diffs.
    1/10 Ultimate Summit Combo
    https://store.leadingedgemachining.n....aspx?id=37535

I have the same motor and ESC actually.
    And the last time I blew my rear I did do an LEM kit.

I have a few of their parts on this thing.

Tho I don't like this motor. It's not really any smoother than the Castle 2200kv Sensorless motor it replaced, and it has less power. Also runs hotter to.

I like to trail with it mostly but I bash and crawl at times to. That's when I usually break it. Crawling and get hung up on something or bashing and then boom diff is done.

This is a heavy big truck for how small these diffs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
    I have the same motor and ESC actually.
    And the last time I blew my rear I did do an LEM kit.

I have a few of their parts on this thing.

Tho I don't like this motor. It's not really any smoother than the Castle 2200kv Sensorless motor it replaced, and it has less power. Also runs hotter to.

I like to trail with it mostly but I bash and crawl at times to. That's when I usually break it. Crawling and get hung up on something or bashing and then boom diff is done.

This is a heavy big truck for how small these diffs are.
    Sorry to hear that. Ive been nothing but impressed with my setup. It got good reviews so thats why I thought this combo would be great. I have a Tekin 1700kv in my ERBE and love it. Ive had no issues with heat in either rc. Could be a gearing issue if overheating.

That’s interesting. I am running a MMX and pretty much a no-name sensored 2250kv motor in my summit and it has been extremely smooth and more than powerful enough for my trailing. I run 4S on moderate gearing and I don’t bash with it since my other trucks can do that better. Perhaps that’s the difference.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Thats why I think theres another issue going on with his. Good reviews, my experience with yours and thinking there shouldnt be issues with it unless gearing is off, drive line bind or something else going on...

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear that. Ive been nothing but impressed with my setup. It got good reviews so thats why I thought this combo would be great. I have a Tekin 1700kv in my ERBE and love it. Ive had no issues with heat in either rc. Could be a gearing issue if overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    That’s interesting. I am running a MMX and pretty much a no-name sensored 2250kv motor in my summit and it has been extremely smooth and more than powerful enough for my trailing. I run 4S on moderate gearing and I don’t bash with it since my other trucks can do that better. Perhaps that’s the difference.
    Thats why I think theres another issue going on with his. Good reviews, my experience with yours and thinking there shouldnt be issues with it unless gearing is off, drive line bind or something else going on...

Is not a bad combo. Its just that I can gear the castle motor lower and get higher speeds from it with more torque. The castle motor has no problem turning my rock crushers over and throwing dirt in 2nd if I go full throttle. And if I have traction it can pick the front end up at will. The Tekin will not do this and even geared for higher speed its still slower top end by a noticeable amount. The Castle motor runs just warm to the touch but the Tekin run the same way gets hot to the touch.
    No changes to the truck. I tested this and checked the truck over to make sure I had no problems. Castle runs cool, Tekin runs hotter.

I have the sensor wire hooked up in the Trkin and honestly it's so close to the sensorless castle motor in how smooth it is that its not worth the extra cost IMO.

I may try another sensored motor. But this one is just not for me. I lose to much torque and a good 5mph off my top speed.

I will probably just sell it. I think I ran half a pack threw it? Maybe a full pack total at most.