RC poster

X Maxx 8s Center drive torque biasing - how does it work

Hi all,
    I am breaking down the x Maxx for maintenance and all of the grease in the centre drive torque biasing has gone black and is now like clay (my fault as I went through sea water on a beach- yes stupid terrible mistake and I am now swopping out all the corroded parts!).
    I can not locate how the centre drive torque biasing works or find a YouTube clip. I have taken it to pieces as none of the gears inside the unit would rotate, hence the black clay type grease, obviously a product of the salt water.
    In the housing, does anyone know if the bottom crown gear should rotate or should it be fixed, mine does not move and I am wondering if itís corrosion from sea water?

Any guidance appreciated, I do understand itís my stupid mistake related to seawater!
    Thanks
    FL

RC Champion
    It's just like the front or rear diff in operation except it has super thick oil to keep it from sending all th torque to the front end. Make sure everything can spin freely and then refill with the correct fluid. It's supposed to be thick like 2mil viscosity.
    I have an RC problem...

RC poster
    RR,
    Thank you.
    I have cleared off all the old grease. Another quick question if you know the answer?
    The housing internals contains a front gear and a back gear which basically sandwich the 4 internal gears on two dowel like rods.
    Should both the front gear and the back gear both rotate internally and independently to the main housing? My back gear seems like it’s fixed in the housing and I don’t know whether it’s because it has siezed due to the corrosion from the salt water.?
    Thanks
    FL

RC Qualifier
    Disassemble and inspect
    Replace and rebuild what is needed
    Salt water an RC’s ain’t good
    fabricator

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    All parts and pieces should rotate freely

RC poster
    Thank you guys.
    All parts and prices should rotate freely answers it.
    Back to replacing all rusted bits- doh.
    Another costly mistake!

Thanks
    Fl

RC Competitor
    its 20 million weight oil , its like silly putty . it needs to be that thick and put in correctly or you will have a fwd x maxx that launches good but no rear power.

20 million and its by traxxas.