Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331

    Upgrade from the 2065

    My rustler's 2065 servo has started to make bizarre noises and it is starting to get pretty slow for my liking. Its time to upgrade. I was looking to spend around $50 USD on a fast servo. Waterproof is a bonus . I know the 2075 is an option but i was hoping to get a servo with a speed of 0.10-0.17, around that range. I am not to sure what to get for tourque as the rustler is not that heavy of a car and i dont want to do overkill, mayby something like 10kg?. I am still using the stock allias tires in the front.
    Can someone explain to me why and if i need a external bec and when to know when to use one?
    What servo's do you guys run?
    Thanks for the help!

    I was looking at the Savox SC-0254mg, is it any good?
    Last edited by Amistry20; 03-26-2018 at 03:50 PM.
    I ask way to many questions

  2. #2
    RC Champion SlashMaxx4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    My rustler's 2065 servo has started to make bizarre noises and it is starting to get pretty slow for my liking. Its time to upgrade. I was looking to spend around $50 USD on a fast servo. Waterproof is a bonus . I know the 2075 is an option but i was hoping to get a servo with a speed of 0.10-0.17, around that range. I am not to sure what to get for tourque as the rustler is not that heavy of a car and i dont want to do overkill, mayby something like 10kg?. I am still using the stock allias tires in the front.
    Can someone explain to me why and if i need a external bec and when to know when to use one?
    What servo's do you guys run?
    Thanks for the help!

    I was looking at the Savox SC-0254mg, is it any good?
    With those specs, you would probably be better getting the 2075. It's cheaper, has 25 more oz. of torque and is only a tad slower.

    As for the BEC, I can almost guarantee you won't need one with that servo. Normally you only need one if you have a high voltage servo and only when experiencing brownouts.

    No problem.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Gone racing"

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post
    With those specs, you would probably be better getting the 2075. It's cheaper, has 25 more oz. of torque and is only a tad slower.

    As for the BEC, I can almost guarantee you won't need one with that servo. Normally you only need one if you have a high voltage servo and only when experiencing brownouts.

    No problem.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Yes, I know that it is a good option, but I wanted an even faster servo


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ask way to many questions

  4. #4
    RC Champion SlashMaxx4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,006
    Then the one you listed seems like a good fit for you. I haven't used that specific one, but I have used savoxes and like them.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Gone racing"

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post
    Then the one you listed seems like a good fit for you. I haven't used that specific one, but I have used savoxes and like them.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Cheers!
    I was also looking at the chinese servos, they seem to have great value for money.
    I was looking at the power hd servos which have 20kg, 0.16 speed for $30, but i am not sure if i will need a bec.
    If i need a bec, im gonna go with the savox that i listed above.
    Are there any other brands can compete with savox?
    Thanks for the help
    I ask way to many questions

  6. #6
    RC Champion SlashMaxx4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    Cheers!
    I was also looking at the chinese servos, they seem to have great value for money.
    I was looking at the power hd servos which have 20kg, 0.16 speed for $30, but i am not sure if i will need a bec.
    If i need a bec, im gonna go with the savox that i listed above.
    Are there any other brands can compete with savox?
    Thanks for the help
    I haven't tried the power HD ones peraonally. But I've heard a lot of good about them on these forums.

    I highly doubt you will need a bec. I run a savox with over 400oz of torque and atill don't need one. I just needed a glitchbuster.

    Spectrum makes some good servos, but most of the ones with specs comparable to savoxs are a lot more expensive.

    No problem. That's what we're here for.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Gone racing"

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post
    I haven't tried the power HD ones peraonally. But I've heard a lot of good about them on these forums.

    I highly doubt you will need a bec. I run a savox with over 400oz of torque and atill don't need one. I just needed a glitchbuster.

    Spectrum makes some good servos, but most of the ones with specs comparable to savoxs are a lot more expensive.

    No problem. That's what we're here for.

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    One last question about the bec.
    People have said the Bec in the vxl-3s is terrible, what esc are you running?
    In that case, ill go with the power hd
    I ask way to many questions

  8. #8
    RC Champion SlashMaxx4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,006
    Castle Creations MMX. But it was fine with the VXL while it was in there. (About 4 months, give or take)

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Gone racing"

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,239
    In my Rustler I use a Savox1258tg. Itís .08 transit and plenty of torque. Itís more than 50 but less than 75. I waterproofed mine. Itís silly fast and super reliable. I run it without a bec with my MMX.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331

    Upgrade from the 2065

    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    In my Rustler I use a Savox1258tg. Itís .08 transit and plenty of torque. Itís more than 50 but less than 75. I waterproofed mine. Itís silly fast and super reliable. I run it without a bec with my MMX.
    May I ask how you waterproofed it? I have heard that many people waterproof their servo's with liquid tape.
    ah I see, so i won't need a bec
    As the power Hd servos are cheap with high specs, how do they compare to the savox servos with similar specs such as the Savox1258tg that you use?
    I am debating on the quality of the power hd servos
    Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Amistry20; 03-27-2018 at 02:09 AM.
    I ask way to many questions

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    May I ask how you waterproofed it? I have heard that many people waterproof their servo's with liquid tape.
    ah I see, so i won't need a bec
    As the power Hd servos are cheap with high specs, how do they compare to the savox servos with similar specs such as the Savox1258tg that you use?
    I am debating on the quality of the power hd servos
    Thanks for the help!
    O ring between the case and output gear and silicone every joint.
    Tough call, I use PowerHD in my P4de, and Savox in my Rustler. The Savox is nicer. But it cost 60 not 23. The PowerHD line is pretty diverse. You can actually pay quite a bit for them if you want to. My PowerHD doesnít do loud continuously centering things, but the Savox motor is head and shoulders above the entry level PowerHD stuff.
    To make my answer worse. Neither have failed.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    O ring between the case and output gear and silicone every joint.
    Tough call, I use PowerHD in my P4de, and Savox in my Rustler. The Savox is nicer. But it cost 60 not 23. The PowerHD line is pretty diverse. You can actually pay quite a bit for them if you want to. My PowerHD doesn’t do loud continuously centering things, but the Savox motor is head and shoulders above the entry level PowerHD stuff.
    To make my answer worse. Neither have failed.
    So i guess the power hd servos are just savox servos but cheaper.
    I may pick up a external bec if i can get one for cheap. Everyone is recommending the castle Bec's, but they will cost me $60 usd, which is almost double the price of the servo. Are there any other cheap external bec's?
    Another quick question, do external bec's work with the internal bec or do they work independatly? so for example the esc internal Bec is 2 amp and the external is 3 amp, does that mean 5 amp in total?

    Sorry for all the questions
    I ask way to many questions

  13. #13
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,198
    I think the VXL-3S will power the 1258TG servo, I'm running that with a 2A 6V internal BEC (Hobbywing Justock ESC) and it runs fine. The VXL-3S is 2.5A 6V.

    Worst case add a $10 glitch buster and plug it into your receiver box if you have problems.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    I think the VXL-3S will power the 1258TG servo, I'm running that with a 2A 6V internal BEC (Hobbywing Justock ESC) and it runs fine. The VXL-3S is 2.5A 6V.

    Worst case add a $10 glitch buster and plug it into your receiver box if you have problems.
    I will probably get the 1258tg sometime later as i dont currently have the money. I am probably going to go with this Power HD servo
    https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/electro...rder&order=ASC
    I think the 20kg version is too overkill for the rustler, so this should be fine
    I ask way to many questions

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331
    I ask way to many questions

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    So i guess the power hd servos are just savox servos but cheaper.
    I may pick up a external bec if i can get one for cheap. Everyone is recommending the castle Bec's, but they will cost me $60 usd, which is almost double the price of the servo. Are there any other cheap external bec's?
    Another quick question, do external bec's work with the internal bec or do they work independatly? so for example the esc internal Bec is 2 amp and the external is 3 amp, does that mean 5 amp in total?

    Sorry for all the questions
    No. The gear metal quality is less, and itís a cores motor instead of coreless. Theyíre two different animals. Both are worth buying though.

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    Looks good

  18. #18
    RC Champion SlashMaxx4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    It does. And it seems to meet all of the specifications you wanted as well.

    "gone racing"
    "Gone racing"

  19. #19
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,198
    I think you should try for 9+ kg. of torque. 7kg or less is not very good IMO. My ProSC10 has that much, and it's a little too weak for me.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    I think you should try for 9+ kg. of torque. 7kg or less is not very good IMO. My ProSC10 has that much, and it's a little too weak for me.
    The 2056 has 5kg, and i find it to be alright.
    My final two choices are the
    Power hd LF 13MG - 0.12 and 13kg
    or the
    Power hd 1206tg - 0.06 and 7kg

    i have found a 8kg version, but it is only 0.09 which i guess is good enough
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1207tg-T...8AAOSwED5ZyzZn
    Last edited by Amistry20; 03-27-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    I ask way to many questions

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331
    I've bought the Power HD lf-13kg, ill let you guys know how it goes.

    My servo saver is kind of dead. What is a good servo saver?
    I've heard Kimbrough makes good ones
    I ask way to many questions

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier Amistry20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    331
    My servo has arrived!
    This is a pretty dumb question but, The Power HD lf-13mg is my first digital servo and its pretty loud, but im not sure if im overstressing it. I cant set the steering endpoints as im using the new tq transmitter, which dosent have that function.
    Can someone tell me if i am, depending on how loud the noise is?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPzBXzTQEU
    I ask way to many questions

  23. #23
    RC Champion RazorRC22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistry20 View Post
    My servo has arrived!
    This is a pretty dumb question but, The Power HD lf-13mg is my first digital servo and its pretty loud, but im not sure if im overstressing it. I cant set the steering endpoints as im using the new tq transmitter, which dosent have that function.
    Can someone tell me if i am, depending on how loud the noise is?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPzBXzTQEU
    It is being stressed, you can tell by the whine you hear at full turn. Make sure your servo saver is giving at a minimum, but yes I would recommend getting a better radio with EPA or dual-rate.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •