RC Qualifier

What spare parts to get: about to let kids race the Slash

Hi everyone,
    I’m bringing 2 brushed Slashes to the upcoming middle school festival and making a course as one of events. This way kids can race their parents or each other and should be a pretty funny evening. I’ll have about 300ft of corrugated pipe and a decent amount of space. I’ll also bring 6 ramps (3 wide at a time) so I can have 2 jumps.

What spares should I stock up on to keep these trucks running for 3-4 hours? I have plenty of 2s lipos and can bring a dual charger as well. I figure some front skid plates and some arms, and I’ll bring some extra stock motors and servos but not sure what else. I will eventually get into Slash Spec racing so I want to keep all spares to Traxxas stock parts so I’ll have extras for when I race.

Thanks for any ideas!

Definitely some spur gears and screws. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Ha! Yes... forgot that I have a few of those, and will definitely need them! Thanks!

Sounds like you have a pretty good list going so far. I would bring the hub carriers as well, but other than that you should be good. (Hopefully )

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Gone racing"

RC Racer
    Probably some rear axle carriers, as I'm pretty sure that they're one of the weakest parts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gru734 View Post
    Probably some rear axle carriers, as I'm pretty sure that they're one of the weakest parts.
    Thanks! I'll order some RPM here since that's one of the few parts we're allowed to change.

RC Qualifier
    If you're going to let a bunch of middle schoolers drive your RCs (I wouldn't and yet I am one) you will want them in training mode. If anyone complains that it's too slow then take it off the track, rip a couple speed runs, place it back in training mode, let them have at it again.
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AGHolman View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I’m bringing 2 brushed Slashes to the upcoming middle school festival and making a course as one of events. This way kids can race
    You Sir, are brave to let them drive
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    You Sir, are brave to let them drive
    Ha! I am equally brave and crazy. I used to be a middle school assistant principal (just started a new gig this year) so I know what I’m up against. Training mode on brushed motors might be too slow for me to enjoy watching! I figure I can do that or I can adjust both trucks via the Bluetooth module if needed. I’ll also bring a few of my brushless trucks for some fun and speed (but only I’ll drive those) should the kids break the Slashes beyond repair.

Definitly need rear carriers. I just picked up RPM ones for my slash and Rustler because I keep breaking them. The front have always held up fine for me. Everything else should be pretty solid.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like a fun time. Extra hubs, spur gears, pinion gears, wheel nuts, staying brushed than a extra motor or two.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks everyone! I’m feeling good about the spare parts list. Event is on April 13th and I hope to get some funny racing videos to share.

RC poster
    Castor blocks and kingpins, look into Traxxas fixed gear adapter that goes between the motor and trans. That has kept my stampede and rustler Both brushless Lipo setups from eating spurs or getting knocked out of mesh. Some spare axle stubs, couple bearings, shims, Hex, and pins. Keep magnet handy to hold screws while doing on track repairs from getting lost when students are helping.
    Definitely spare cambers links those get broken from side swipes in on coming traffic. Lots of body pins and washers and a spare servo for those back to back runs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1badta View Post
    Castor blocks and kingpins
    I agree, those parts are quite weak. Aluminum shock caps or extra oil/bladders if you're still running plastic.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    I agree, those parts are quite weak. Aluminum shock caps or extra oil/bladders if you're still running plastic.
    That's what I forgot... those dreaded shock caps that slow your play sessions down. I actually filled some shocks with auto transmission fluid from my trunk out at the bashing spot lol. Keep spare set of Ultras in parts box since there only about $15-$20 for a complete take off set.

RC Qualifier
    Great advice! And that's the first I've heard of that fixed gear adapter. I've never had a problem with meshing but it might not hurt to have a few on hand. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1badta View Post
    Castor blocks and kingpins, look into Traxxas fixed gear adapter that goes between the motor and trans. That has kept my stampede and rustler Both brushless Lipo setups from eating spurs or getting knocked out of mesh. Some spare axle stubs, couple bearings, shims, Hex, and pins. Keep magnet handy to hold screws while doing on track repairs from getting lost when students are helping.
    Definitely spare cambers links those get broken from side swipes in on coming traffic. Lots of body pins and washers and a spare servo for those back to back runs.

RC Racer
    Just buy a whole roller on eBay for 80$ lol... I think you should get arms... hub carriers... motors... servo should be fine... and shock caps... other than that you should be fine. Are you charging people to race them?
    100Mph isn't fast enough!

RC Qualifier
    I found a partial roller in my garage just now so that should help. The kids (or adults) will have to use one or two tickets to race, which will be between $1-2 but I’m not collecting any money. I’m just considering the cost of the broken parts as my donation to the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher22 View Post
    Just buy a whole roller on eBay for 80$ lol... I think you should get arms... hub carriers... motors... servo should be fine... and shock caps... other than that you should be fine. Are you charging people to race them?

RC Racer
    Nice! Do you have kids that go to the school? That's a very great idea. If I didn't own 3 cars I would definitely race them. Have fun try not to break anything
    100Mph isn't fast enough!

RC Qualifier
    Ha. My kid is 4 but I was an assistant principal at this school for 4 years until I just switched to a small science company this year. The fundraiser is a big event that brings over 1000 in attendance so itíll be a fun evening if things donít break that I canít fix!

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher22 View Post
    Nice! Do you have kids that go to the school? That's a very great idea. If I didn't own 3 cars I would definitely race them. Have fun try not to break anything

RC Qualifier
    From my experience the 2WD is indestructible in normal running (aside from the faults listed on this thread) but the second you start jumping them then you start breaking things like chassis if you land badly to many times.
    Have fun running them and make sure every thing is good and LocTite!
    Guess who's back.
    Back again.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! The ramps I have don't get the trucks too high and I've made my 4 year old test one of the trucks on them for about two hours now and nothing broken (yet). So far so good... I agree, brushed and without much air, the Slash is pretty indestructible!

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkletron View Post
    From my experience the 2WD is indestructible in normal running (aside from the faults listed on this thread) but the second you start jumping them then you start breaking things like chassis if you land badly to many times.
    Have fun running them and make sure every thing is good and LocTite!

RC Qualifier
    Had an absolute blast at the festival. Not a single broken part after 3 hours of trucks being driven by middle school and even elementary school kids. We ran in training mode which didn't affect the speed much because of the lack of traction in the loose spots. Can't wait to do it again!