RC poster

Review from an X-MAXX Owner and owner of 14 other RCs

I have been a longtime member of RCCRAWLER.com and have been into crawlers for the last 18 months or so. When I saw the 8S X-MAXX I had to have it. Itís a great truck and a lot of fun - provided you have the room to run it. When I saw the UDR I fell in love with the combination of scale looks, scale driving characteristics and frankly, the speed.

So I bought on yesterday, March 26. The FOX ORANGE AND WHITE style rig. My thoughts:

The pictures and videos do not properly express how orange the orange really is. Think 90s ďhotĒ colors like ďhotĒ pink. This is not a negative in my opinion. In fact I have 4 orange rigs and the colors on the UDR both refined and exciting. The rig is simply beautiful!!! You can look and see what others think of the scale details, but they look great. One quibble I have is that I think I will paint the oil holders in the back for a little more scale appearance. It bothers me that they are so prominent and yet they are so.... gray. But I digress...

Another thing no one has mentioned...when you open the box the smell of new rubber is intoxicating. Itís a mix of traditional RC rubber but there is a hint of something else, maybe tennis balls? I donít know, but the rig smells as good as it looks. And yes, I know that the previous sentence seems odd and yes again, I know that this is my first post in this forum. All I am saying is that every ounce of the unboxing reminded this 38 year old of the joys of a younger time when smells were part of sport and play.

After quickly snipping the tires and reading the manual, I was out the door.

About those tires.... they are NOT grip tires. In fact they may be the hardest compound RC tires I have ever seen. I donít think this is a bad thing because the beast drifts like an animal. OMG, The driving dynamics are unlike anything else that I own. My highly modified Yeti Is a pig compared to the UDR. The X-MAXX will lift the inside front tire around turns. But the UDR simply slides around like something out of Grand Turismo. It is exceptionally easy to drive and drive fast.

Now in fairness, it was raining heavily today in Dallas and I was so excited to drive the UDR that I took it out in the cul-de-sac and backyard. I will take it out to a few larger areas (hopefully this weekend) but I hope everyone can understand that I had to see how it drove first so I know where to run it.

I ran 2 5500 4S GensAce packs through it.

First, the rig didnít grip well at all in the soping wet clay soil. No dirt was stuck to the tires and the tires didnít bit into the ground. Thatís a little atypical because the X-MAXX rips up earth and my crawlers bite into the ground too. The tires are really a low grip set of pieces. On many RCs that would be fatal. But on the UDR IT IS GLORIOUS!

The UDR is large - as everyone knows. If you donít have hundreds of feet in all directions to run it I donít know how anyone could use it on 6S. I think 4S probably results in a speed in the high 30s. It feels faster than that though because it has so much mass. My MT4 runs a 14 tooth pinion, castle 2200 motor and Losi 2XL-e rims and tires. It will run 44 MPH on 4S. This is not as fast, but it is very very well controlled.

Driving the UDR is intoxicating. You will read reviews of people saying you drive it with the throttle - you do. To put that into common language, the rig pushes like crazy until you break the rear loose. The rear end also only seems to lose grip under power. Thatís different than my MT4 where I have it set up so that if I flick the brakes and turn the rest end will begin to rotate.

The result is that you are rewarded with greater control if you drive more aggressively. In fact you are rewarded with glorious glorious drifts that last a mile and the rest end comes around slowly so you can make long sweeping turns. Since the rubber tires are hard you can do it guilt free too!!

The UDR without stability control is a bit of a handful as it wants to do donuts on non-level ground. Stability does its thing very well though. I found that today the best setting was to keep the multifunction know at the 10:00 position. That would help me to see the driving dynamics and learn what the rig wants to do without any interference.

The one shortcoming of this rig is that it doesnít have a very good approach angle. Since the suspension is so plush even minor curbs resulted in a thundering crack on the front skid plate. However, watching the suspension work at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle is increasingly satisfying for a scale guy (who still likes speed!) like me. The shocks are softly damped which means that the tires can move over anything and they do!

As a comparison I have a walkway that is made up of slate slabs with decomposed granite between them. Since Iím low on the granite fill the slabs have gaps of about 1 inch wide and 1 to .5 inches deep. I love driving my scalers over it to see the wheels fall in the gaps and the suspension work. I have a MST CFX-W that I used to build a custom Unimog. It runs 2.2 tires and since I brazed a steel sub-chassis out of 1/2Ē square rod, and THEN built the tubing and hard body on top of that, itís a heavy pig. (BTW - although it looks great the center of gravity was a nightmare. I had to load it up with brass and 1/4 oz wheel weights to make it drivable again.

The UDR is far more satisfying to drive on the granite slabs than any of my crawlers. Sure the wheels and tires are larger, but the truth is that the suspension is just better. The UDR gives me all the speed I want, all the scale I want, and is easy to drive in a way that makes me look like a hero. Honestly, you feel like you should wear a cape when driving this thing. When i drive my X-MAXX I always have a voice in the back of my head telling me that I should be careful and rests the temptation to fully accept that i can drive over ANYTHING at ANY SPEED. Itís not perfectly satisfying.

The UDR is the most fun rig I own. I think the key is large (very large) open spaces, varied terrain, and minimal obstacles that provide an opportunity to outline a racing line and try to get the fastest line around a corner. The only thing the rig hates is sharp turns at about 7 MPH while not under power. That flips it every time.

So if you think the UDR is amazing to drive - it is. If you think the UDR looks amazing - it does. I think the UDR is an industry game changer that has carved out a new segment that combines high speed bashing with scale appeal. Tip of the hat to TRAXXAS as they seem to be unstoppable these days.

Happy to respond to questions from the community, but a full open land review will have to wait until this weekend, provided the wife lets me have some ME time.

RC Qualifier
    some good points. thx for sharing your opinion.
    you may well change the title into something more adequate like "my first impressions of the UDR".

bye,
    rhylsadar
    Exercitatio artem paravit

RC Competitor
    As another UDR owner/driver, I approve this message!

Looking forward to reading UDR Review Volume 2.. lol

RC Racer
    �� Now i want one even more!!!! Great review man.
    If it still moves, it aint broke enough!

RC Qualifier
    Oh man - I wanted to buy the X-MAXX but now your tempting me back to the UDR again!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
    Oh man - I wanted to buy the X-MAXX but now your tempting me back to the UDR again!!
    That's how I feel now. I really want both!

I have always been more of a scale modeler who wants scale operation. The X-Maxx is just so in 'in your face' and huge and unstoppable that it impresses me for completely different reasons. It is just the right size too.....not too big and not too small. I think 1/5 scale is getting too big.

The UDR is just a beautiful piece of work. The philosophy behind its creation seems to be spot on: great scale FUNCTIONAL details (the whole vehicle looks like it was a full size machine put in a shrink machine), the non-functional scale details that are just fun (fire extinguishers, jack, fans, etc), the FUNCTIONAL scale details like the twin usable spare tires/wheels, the spare usable driveshaft.......awesome. I also really like the screwed on body reinforced so it doesnt flap around or over-flex. Access from beneath is a great idea, and the little things, like the batteries plugging in THRU the chassis to the awaiting speed controller above......brilliant.

As a mechanical/electrical design engineer this sort of creative out-of-the-box thinking is hard to find. Traxxas is doing a GREAT job of taking great ideas (new or otherwise) and implementing them in a rugged, attractive and available manner. I have loved Traxxas ever since they released the Villain race boat back in the 80s. I always wanted one, and by the time I was ready to buy one, they were gone. The UDR reminds of the same feeleings and I dont plan to let this one get away!

TRAXXAS - bring back an updated, slightly larger Villain race boat! I can only imagine waht your engineers would come up with now. It has to be twin outdrives with counter rotating props like the original......though I would also accept a twin jet-drive replica of the jet boats that drive the big rivers out west.

Way too long of a post. I have to go buy my UDR now.

....... who wants scale operation. Hmmmm, I bet once you get one you will not want to drive 20 mph pinned for a scale 140 mph when you can double that for twice the fun. Just kidding, of course. I love the trucks, details...., every time I hit my lhs I have to fondle one. Put it "on sale" for $200 off and I'll be driving one too.

RC Racer
    Sorry, scale all for but speed! I realize that the scale fun factor doesnt scale so well! And yes, it is a pricey little bugger, isnt it? I guess as the saying goes.....difference between men and boys.

RC Competitor
    https://youtu.be/rsXbZPg76eI

If youíre on the fence about buying a UDR or just like bad *** Trophy Trucks and pretty girls... watch this BJ Baldwin Recoil series, youíll be buying a UDR soon!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    That truck looks smoother over the big bumps compared to the small bumps lol. It just absorbs anything you throw at it. A lot of those people in the video looked like they had no idea it was going to take place lol

RC Competitor
    There are a few more of those Recoil videos on you tube. Itís cool to see all the slo mo on those videos!!

RC Racer
    The tires will soften up a little after a few runs but being a 14 pound truck you donít want super soft squishy tires anyways. The suspension is set up with zero preload front and rear, itís way to soft for even light bashing. Set it up to your liking and itís even more amazing.

RC Competitor
    Ideas on what the suspension should be set at?

RC Racer
    What are you going to be doing with it? There is no perfect set up since everyone drives different. They way it is out of the box has a more scale feel to it so if you like going fast over small size bumps itís probably ok. But play with it so you know how it reacts to different settings. If you have the space you can do what i did and make a course that has a fast section, some good sized whoops and some decent jumps. Iíll have to check when I get home but I donít think I even went a quarter inch front and rear. If you notice after a couple runs when you push down on the truck it doesnít spring up like it did when new so before you change anything clean it really good. I use compressed air and the some simple green and a tooth brush and clean around all the suspension parts and pull the pins out of the a arms and clean all the dirt out and clean around the sway bar linkage. Then do the drop test from a foot or 2 to make sure itís balanced. If when you drive it and the rear end kicks up more then you like you can take a little out in the rear or more preload in the front.

RC Qualifier
    Running a green strip spring on front ,and the brown strip spring on rear

Blue strip is the strongest spring rate = fully extended suspension

Shock limiters used on all 4 - turning 32/47 gears
    fabricator

RC Racer
    Those videos are awesome. You are right.....now I want the UDR again!

I had just concluded that the X-Maxx was what I should get because of the wide range of surfaces and types of driving i could do with it. But watching (video slo-mo) and driving the UDR just looks like a whole other satisfying way to enjoy this hobby. I would really like to race these models the same way as the full scale......time trial course with varied terrain/surfaces against other drivers.

RC poster
    I love my UDR, only downside is the rear axle letting dirt in and its not the easiest thing to work on either.. But the thing drives like no other RC car ive owned. I think it replicates the feel of driving a full sized rig really nicely, better than anything else I have driven. Its kind of annoying to me to see so many people buy a UDR, take one look at the shocks and immediately launch it off of 10 foot high jumps.. then complain when things break. Its not meant for that, of course things will break. Overall the UDR is probably my favorite of all Traxxas cars

RC Racer
    Mine has, unfortunately, been sitting in its box since the cold moved in. It would be fun in some snow, but the amount we have on the ground right now would just bog it down I think. Everything gets more prone to breaking in the cold too.

I think it could be fun to race other UDRs, but this does not seem to be of interest to many folk.

I wonder if Traxxas will release any cool new accessories for the UDR this spring?