RC poster

Slash 2wd in present form

Just wondering how long will the slash 2wd stay in itís present form same design same parts etc. I like the idea of parts compatibility with other models and the ease of getting replacement parts unlike some other brands

Quote Originally Posted by Gilson65 View Post
    Just wondering how long will the slash 2wd stay in itís present form same design same parts etc. I like the idea of parts compatibility with other models and the ease of getting replacement parts unlike some other brands
    No way to know. (Unless one of the Traxxas employees wants to chime in )
    "Gone racing"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilson65 View Post
    Just wondering how long will the slash 2wd stay in it’s present form same design same parts etc. I like the idea of parts compatibility with other models and the ease of getting replacement parts unlike some other brands
    I wouldn't be worried, the 2wd slash is one of traxxas best selling cars and not much has changed over the years so far
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

Quote Originally Posted by slashcrazy View Post
    I wouldn't be worried, the 2wd slash is one of traxxas best selling cars and not much has changed over the years so far
    There are a very few Traxxas models that have been shelved by the company. The Rustler and Stampede have been produced sense the mid 90s, there have been a few changes to the parts that matter, but 95% of the parts made today for both platforms will bolt right up to one made in the 90s. The Slash is basically the same platform as the Rustler, a little longer, sharing a good number of identical parts such as the transmission. I don't think any of us that have Slashes now are worried about Traxxas dropping the platform, or aftermarket vendors not supporting it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    There are a very few Traxxas models that have been shelved by the company. The Rustler and Stampede have been produced sense the mid 90s, there have been a few changes to the parts that matter, but 95% of the parts made today for both platforms will bolt right up to one made in the 90s. The Slash is basically the same platform as the Rustler, a little longer, sharing a good number of identical parts such as the transmission. I don't think any of us that have Slashes now are worried about Traxxas dropping the platform, or aftermarket vendors not supporting it.
    I’ve noticed Traxxas has had the same platform for years hence why I purchased a slash was just curious what people’s thoughts were I have a rustler as well and to be able to buy parts that fit both is a real asset for me and Traxxas alike I reckon

I wouldnt worry. As everyone above said, the same cars have been produced for years with little change. The slash is one of the best selling RC’s and its probably not going anywhere.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

They really need to update the Slash, it's getting pretty poor compared to the competition. Just getting properly offset wheels, sealed differential, LCG chassis, and some decent shocks would go a long way. And some hingepins that don't bend every other time you take it out with some stronger caster blocks would be nice.

I got a new $300 RTR 2WD shortcourse from another competitor and it beats the pants off a $200 Slash and is better than the $350 VXL, mainly due to the aforementioned issues. Traxxas has been a 1-man show in the RTR basher market for years, but is starting to feel the heat from other brands and I think it's starting to reflect that in recent activities. I.e. price drops, litigation, E-Revo 2, etc.

IMO.
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 03-29-2018 at 01:04 AM.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    They really need to update the Slash, it's getting pretty poor compared to the competition. Just getting properly offset wheels, sealed differential, LCG chassis, and some decent shocks would go a long way. And some hingepins that don't bend every other time you take it out with some stronger caster blocks would be nice.

I got a new $300 RTR 2WD shortcourse from another competitor and it beats the pants off a $200 Slash and is better than the $350 VXL, mainly due to the aforementioned issues. Traxxas has been a 1-man show in the RTR basher market for years, but is starting to feel the heat from other brands and I think it's starting to reflect that in recent activities. I.e. price drops, litigation, E-Revo 2, etc.

IMO.
    I disagree. The Slash 2WD is pretty much the perfect all around basher in its current iteration. It is not going away or changing anytime soon IMO.

"Better" is also subjective. My Team Associated SC10RS is a better handler and it is just as bash worthy as a Slash, but it is lower and more suited to a track whereas the 2WD Slash does better on roughter terrain.

RC poster
    I agree jatotheripper and hope your right even though I use mine just for bashing I love my slash never had a problem sourcing parts locally been ultra reliable and the amount of performance parts available is excellent and me being relatively new to the hobby the slash is super easy to work on

Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post

IMO.
    Head-to-head, the Slash is lacking in a few areas to be sure, and does not do well competing against those other 2WD SCTs on a track. From experience I know that it can be made to be very competitive, but there is very little of the original Slash left.

Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    I disagree. The Slash 2WD is pretty much the perfect all around basher in its current iteration. It is not going away or changing anytime soon IMO.

"Better" is also subjective. My Team Associated SC10RS is a better handler and it is just as bash worthy as a Slash, but it is lower and more suited to a track whereas the 2WD Slash does better on roughter terrain.
    The Slash is born and bread to be a basher, that is what it does well.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    While I fully respect the stock slash as a basket, the biggest weakness and only part I can't really upgrade is the diff internal gears. It would be nice so see them redesign it to be like the proline diff and sc10 diff of something even stronger since so many people eventually go with high power systems. I know they are feeling the heat from competition, but not much. They still dominate, so they can choose to do what they want. But I'm still optimistic seeing all these new releases and redesigns. Would be cool to see a SL2SH Platinum with LCG and tougher diff, as well as a few aluminum parts out of the box. But only time will tell...

Personally, I don't think the Slash bashes very well. Like I mentioned, out of the box, there's quite a few issues. Different sized wheels, unsealed diff, plastic buggy shocks that are too short with caps that pop off, hinge pins that bend on minor crashes, caster blocks that flex too much and bend the kingpins, hingepins that back out of the arms, shock shoulder screws that back out on their own, slipper that has to be tightened 99% all the way even on brushed power... HCG chassis is the wrong chassis for 90% of people too.

Sure, once you dump $150 into the truck it bashes pretty well, but out of the box? I don't think so.

I picked up a ProSC10 that bashes better out of the box, and obviously is better on the track. It has much better shocks (aluminum bodies, longer travel, 12mm bore), 4 matching wheels, a sealed diff, much better slipper, and my son was driving it into walls and fences and nothing has broken on it.

This is box stock with some different springs and tires --

I know this sounds like I'm bashing the Slash (pun intended), but what it really is is an opportunity for Traxxas to improve the Slash. There's no doubt they can make a better truck, unfortunately it may take a market response to let them know they need to.
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 03-30-2018 at 01:08 PM.

RC poster
    I agree with you razorRC22 in improving the upgrades you mentioned in a newer model but would still like it to be compatible with the current model a win for everybody

They could definitely make a decent truck out of the box. Call it a platinum edition or whatever. GTR shocks, a real front shock tower, sealed diff, longer front arms, LCG chassis, a rear shock tower that you don't have to grind down, 2075x servo, an updated slipper... that would address pretty much everything wrong with the Slash today. And it would be fully compatible with existing Slashes.

If you look at it, the Slash 4x4 is actually a pretty good truck because they fixed all those problems with the Slash 2WD.