Thumbs up Pulled The Trigger On A New X-Maxx - Green Edition!!! :cool:

eBay had $100 off today and I missed that discount earlier this month so I just had to take advantage of this deal, which comes around only so often.

I seriously considered the new UDR but this just came out and it's not proven like the X-Maxx is, so I know what I'm getting with the X-Maxx. Plus eBay only had one UDR for $1300-OUCH so my $100 wouldn't go as far. Plus, I really don't care for the UDR's chassis with pre-molded traxxas connectors and what seems to be a very limited battery tray to fit other lipos. I feel it's fast as 6S but Traxxas will most likely release an 8S version soon, which everyone is going to try to do anyway. So still too new and not proven like the X-Maxx is.

I'll be keeping it stock for now so I would love to hear any do's and don'ts for a newbie.

Oh yeah...
    I also bought 4 Traxxas 4S lipos the other day when they had 15% ($50 max discount) and that saved me $42 or $22 on each pair of lipos. Total was $237.91 but I might sell the other pair locally, I dunno? I heard the Floureon lipos are good but they increased in price so they were only $25 cheaper and only 5500mAh and I'd have to buy adaptors for them. I liked the Traxxas lipos since the mAh is 6700 for longer run times.
    Last edited by Nickerz; 03-30-2018 at 02:19 PM.

RC Competitor
    'Don't drive it until you replace the wheels, esc, motor, servo. Pull them out and sell to fund the upgrades.

You'll need RPM rear axle carriers shortly thereafter too.

Save up for replacement bodies while your at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Svtcobra View Post
    'Don't drive it until you replace the wheels, esc, motor, servo. Pull them out and sell to fund the upgrades.

You'll need RPM rear axle carriers shortly thereafter too.

Save up for replacement bodies while your at it.
    These items are good upgrades but I wouldn't say dont drive the truck until you get them. In its stock form the truck holds up very well. I dont beat mine but I drive it hard in heat, snow and rain and its held up perfectly fine. Charge up those 4S batteries and let her rip
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

Congratz on the big truck purchase!

I don't really have any room here to talk yet (not an xmaxx owner just yet, but one of these days I will give in..)
    But! I would have to agree with NYbandit on this one, run it as is for now!! I do see where SVT is coming from though, most likely you will want to upgrade parts soon, so selling off unused parts would probably fetch more funds for the upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    ...Plus, I really don't care for the UDR's chassis with pre-molded traxxas connectors and what seems to be a very limited battery tray to fit other lipos. I feel it's fast as 6S but Traxxas will most likely release an 8S version soon, which everyone is going to try to do anyway.
    The new UDR is insane on 6s, and it looks like Traxxas would have to put in some serious design time to make room for a pair of their 4s6700's! Unless they come up with a lower capacity 4s pack, I don't see this one happening personally. It's not as "just meant to be" as the X Maxx 6s was..

Oh yeah... I also bought 4 Traxxas 4S lipos the other day when they had 15% ($50 max discount) and that saved me $42 or $22 on each pair of lipos. Total was $237.91 but I might sell the other pair locally, I dunno? I heard the Floureon lipos are good but they increased in price so they were only $25 cheaper and only 5500mAh and I'd have to buy adaptors for them. I liked the Traxxas lipos since the mAh is 6700 for longer run times.
    You already have four 4s packs! You might wish you still had them if you sell them off!! They drop right in, no adapters or special fitment. The only thing I could see picking up is another Ez Peak Live if you only have one right now. Get that truck dirty, & post up some pictures!

Good luck man!

EDIT: vvv (those are supposed to be arrows pointing at Grip's post, lol) Seriously check out Gripdog's build thread, lots of good info, and a good read!
    Last edited by cozyFozy; 03-30-2018 at 04:54 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Congratulations. Youíll love it. I built mine so I donít know what they are like in stock form. Iíve only broken a rear bumper mount.......so far.

RC Qualifier
    I have the green 8s x maxx and love it! I've only broken a rear hub due to a very high and hard fall and one broken front right a arm.

RC poster
    I bought a used 6s Xmaxx on eBay about 8 months ago it was pretty banged up. I rebuilt it over the winter slowly as funds allowed into an 8s spec Xmaxx. The only things I upgraded were all 8s power parts like the Cush drive and Diffs etc, but I went with a hobby wing Max 6 esc. I haven't got the chance to run it quite yet as I'm still rebuilding it lol but I will be running 8s. I'd like the Maxamps 9000xl 4s packs but they are so expensive. I also re-bearinged everything and got rpm rear axle carries. You will enjoy the Xmaxx they look like great trucks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megafandrew View Post
    I bought a used 6s Xmaxx on eBay about 8 months ago it was pretty banged up. I rebuilt it over the winter slowly as funds allowed into an 8s spec Xmaxx. The only things I upgraded were all 8s power parts like the Cush drive and Diffs etc, but I went with a hobby wing Max 6 esc. I haven't got the chance to run it quite yet as I'm still rebuilding it lol but I will be running 8s. I'd like the Maxamps 9000xl 4s packs but they are so expensive. I also re-bearinged everything and got rpm rear axle carries. You will enjoy the Xmaxx they look like great trucks.
    You can find good/better batteries a lot cheaper. But itís your money.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    You can find good/better batteries a lot cheaper. But it’s your money.
    I do like/run dynamite and gens ace packs. The only Maxamps I have is a 5450 4s for my 1/8 buggy. Any suggestions for 4S packs for the Xmaxx? 3S packs are easy enough to find but 4S seem limited. I'd like to get some good run time out of them also. I've got two matched ******* 3S packs at 6200 mah that will work for intial running and learning the truck

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I use the SMC 4S packs. They rate in watt hours as well as amps and C ratings. The ones Iíve got are 7400mah or 7600. I canít remember. 75 a piece. Flip the battery hold downs over and they fit perfect, otherwise theyíre super tight.

Thanks guys! I can't wait for this beast to arrive. Should get here tomorrow or Thursday, so we'll see!

Also, I bought a dirt cover for the inside, top part of the chassis since I'll be running it in fine dust/dirt areas for bashing. Got one from Integy here...

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...w#.WsQheIjwaUk

Should I also consider sealing up areas where sand/dust can get into the gears? I saw on youtube the UDR had a lot of sand that got into the gears and a trick they said was to put grease on the edges to keep that out. Can I simply use petroleum jelly? Traxxas recommended using this in place of the stuff they use, which was pretty close when they seal their receiver boxes.

RC Enthusiast
    eBay had $100 off today...
    Nickerz- can you please tell me more about this $100 off sale and how I can get notified about it? I want to join the Xmaxx club!!

Thanks in advance!

Sure! The best way to get eBay alerts is download the app on your phone or tablet. They show up in my notification menu (top of my phone) and eBay from time to time has 15% or 20% off everything with a $50 or $100 max savings. Well, this last one was on 3/30 and it required you buy something using the eBay app on your mobile device and it was very short. Lasted only until 11am PST so I saw it around 8:30am and had time to place my order. The $100 savings also happened on 3/9 I think when everything was 20% off and you could order from your PC or eBay app. So they did 2 of them in March. Hopefully they have more in April! Hope this helps!

RC Enthusiast
    Sure! Hope this helps!
    Thank you so much!

Yeah, they’re about due for one. (% off). Just had one about 3-4 days ago, 15% off.

Red face Here She Is...

The green beast was delivered by FedEx Ground @ 3:30pm today! Is there something wrong with me for loving to unbox a brand new RC and smell the rubber from those new tires!!!??? Man she looks good and smells good!!!!

RC Champion
    Go Traxxas
    No Better Toy out there
    Enjoy Brother
    fabricator

RC Qualifier
    Im in the same boat - been eyeing the UDR but the XMaxx is so tempting!
    That green one looks awesome!

Thumbs up Update...

I installed the Integy Dirt Cover today and reinforced the body with drywall/fiberglass tape and Shoe Goo. Reinforcing the body wasn't too bad, just a little time consuming. Let me know what you think. Did I over-do it with the tape under the body?

I also put on some Monster Energy stickers which match the green perfectly!

I have the lipos all charged up, one lipo took only 53 minutes to fully balance from a storage of 3.90 so not bad using my iCharger 206B. I'm planning on driving this beast for the first time Sunday so I'll report back in on how she goes!!!! SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!!

https://youtu.be/t59ZRNPsWxQ

Last edited by Nickerz; 04-08-2018 at 02:09 AM.

RC Racer
    looks good -in my experience so far the back of the body is weakest/easiest damaged so you may want to add a little more strength back there.Have fun

RC Qualifier
    Awesome nickerz get it out and have fun with her now.

Maiden Run...

Here she is on her first run earlier this evening. Nice Sunday too, sunny and 72į today! Love California! Especially when seeing parts of the country getting hammered with snow still!? =)

So I took it easy since this was my first run and I'm planning on greasing everything to truly waterproof it with marine grease. Can ya tell I love this beast of a truck? I babied this thing and it was still exciting lol. So I can't wait until I truly bash this through the mud and water and I've got the PERFECT place for it too!!!!!!!

Video...
    https://youtu.be/HR6BMLY_P7s

Good point too about the back end of the body being fragile. I heard others mention that too, so I'll apply some more Shoe Goo and maybe tape in that area.

By the way...when I plug in my 2nd lipo, I hear a small pop just about each time. Everything works fine and the lipos balance perfectly each time on my charger (see tonight's pick below after I ran it and storage charged it...) So is this normal? If not, why is it doing this? Is it just that much power being connected?

RC Champion
    Wahoo
    Soon the 46t spur
    Pop connection is normal
    Enjoy
    fabricator

Thanks CrazyXMaxx for confirming the popping noise is normal! Can't wait to put the 46T spur but the other day a guy was saying he has nothing but trouble using this. He said his motor temps ran really hot and the gear would get chewed up and chew up his pinion???

Also, anyone else notice these additional stickers that go on the body? They were in the bag with the manual...

RC Champion
    The gear mesh is too loose with the 18t pinion using the pins in the motor mount
    Set without pins or use a 19t pinion in the 18t pin holes
    Should not hit TSD until using 22/46
    fabricator

Very nice to know! Great and thanks again!!!

Firmware Updates...

Just to update my thread/blog here...before I ran my X-Maxx this last Sunday, I updated the firmware in the morning and thanks to a member on here for pointing that out.

So it updated...
    1. TQi Transmitter (Bluetooth)
    2. TSM Receiver
    3. VXL-8S ESC

TQi Transmitter (Bluetooth)...

TSM Receiver...

VXL-8S ESC...

Update - 1st Speed Run...

Yesterday I recorded my first speed run and was happy to get 38.45MPH! This is bone stock and towards the end of bashing. So I'm interested to see what I can get with fully charged batteries. I should also note, both my front and rear diffs were very low on oil. I filled them both up and applied a lot of grease too. I'll post pics of it later...

Gearing (Stock "Out of Box Setup"):
    18T Pinion
    54T Spur

Motor (Stock):
    1200XL

Batteries (8S):
    SMC x2 4S, 7400mAh, 90C

1st Run...

2nd Run...

Update 2nd Speed Run...

I was able to reach over 42MPH today! Just to update my thread but I put this in a new thread just for future speed runs...

Update - Diffs Needed A Lot More Fluid

I forgot to post this to keep track of my X-Maxx blog but here are videos and pics of me taking apart my new X-Maxx for the first time last week and finding mine also had very little diff fluid in both the front and rear diffs.

I fill both the front and rear diffs with the recommended diff fluid (10K front and 30K rear) and I also add Marine Grease (which I bought at O'Reilly auto parts store and it happens to be the same color as the stock green grease from Traxxas. Probably the same stuff...

https://youtu.be/TBBNSBEAly8

https://youtu.be/VkUPffZXJJs

Here's the FRONT Diff pics...

Here is the REAR Diff...

Bought This On eBay...

Bought These On eBay For Dogbones...

Bought This At Auto Parts Store...

RC Competitor
    I thought the Front and rear both had 30K in the diffs, i thought thats what i read while looking into dif maintenance boy i hope mine are not as empty as yours were

Quote Originally Posted by razor237 View Post
    I thought the Front and rear both had 30K in the diffs, i thought thats what i read while looking into dif maintenance boy i hope mine are not as empty as yours were

I know, I was shocked but then a lot of people on youtube have been complaining about the same thing. Page 29 in the manual gives the amounts for each...

"From the factory, the front differential is filled with SAE 10,000W
    viscosity silicone oil. The rear differential is filled with 30,000W oil."

RC Competitor
    Yeah that's what it says in the manual, i have both my diffs apart on my bench and would swear they feel the same but guess that's deceiving. At least they were not bone dry lol

RC Competitor
    I must pull my diffs apart for inspection, hopefully they're full with oil
    Getting back into the RC game after 10 years!