Thread: Paint backing

RC Enthusiast

Cool Paint backing

I am currently painting a silverado hd body for my slash, and I've already bought my paints. This is going to be the first body that I will be painting, so I need some advice.

First, what colors should I be using to back the paints (The paints i'm using are gold, copper, holographic, and black.)

Secondly, will I need some kind of clear coat after I put on all my paints?

Will I also need a reamer to cut the holes, or does a drill/dremel work?

And last of all, do I need any special tape? (I have both blue and regular painters tape)

Thanks for the help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nage42 View Post

I am currently painting a silverado hd body for my slash, and I've already bought my paints. This is going to be the first body that I will be painting, so I need some advice.

First, what colors should I be using to back the paints (The paints i'm using are gold, copper, holographic, and black.)

Secondly, will I need some kind of clear coat after I put on all my paints?

Will I also need a reamer to cut the holes, or does a drill/dremel work?

And last of all, do I need any special tape? (I have both blue and regular painters tape)

Thanks for the help!
    You can drill the holes before or after painting. It might be easiest to drill a small pilot hole (1/8") while the body is clear then open it up with a dremel with a tapered stone. I spray black as a backer after the paint job is done but the backer color depends on your paint color. Most paint companies specify what backer color to use, clear is not necessary. Use the tan masking tape, the blue worked terrible the time I used it.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    You can drill the holes before or after painting. It might be easiest to drill a small pilot hole (1/8") while the body is clear then open it up with a dremel with a tapered stone. I spray black as a backer after the paint job is done but the backer color depends on your paint color. Most paint companies specify what backer color to use, clear is not necessary. Use the tan masking tape, the blue worked terrible the time I used it.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the help!

Backing: I normally back with bright white, then flat black. The white makes the colors stand out, and the black helps to protect the paint and make the body look better on the body.

Body Mount Holes: After rough trimming, washing and letting the body dry I put the body on the chassis to locate the holes. I use a black Sharpie over the overspray film to mark the holes. After the body has been painted, I use a reamer and make small holes, finish trimming up the body, remove the overspray and make the holes the size I need to line up with the body posts.

The best tool for make the body post holes is a reamer.

Clear coating is for hard bodies, where the paint is applied to the outside, and not needed for polycarbonate bodies.

Blue painter's tape will work. There is special model's masking tape that makes masking detailed areas a lot easier.

On a personal note... I have see a couple of your posts where you have centered up the text, that makes it make difficult to read.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I back with silver, and just recently started using spray can Bedliner last. Get a reamer and never look back.