RC Racer

Getting back in the game... battery question

My rcs have been in storage for about 1 year and I noticed that the batteries puffed up a bit. I visited SPC website to buy new batteries and they are no longer available from what I saw. My question is, what battery brand do you recommend? I'm looking to get hard case 3s and 4s lipos and want to keep the cost as low as possible but also get a good battery. Any information is welcomed. Thank you.

you in the wrong place but hey I found you an spc battery.......https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPC-14-8v-4...AAAOSwxfdaoz57
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    I highly recommend SMC batterys great value

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

lol thats funny! I knew once I posted that, someone would open up!

this still belongs in the battery forum. There is a place for everything here.....
    Last edited by lektro; 03-31-2018 at 05:44 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

I highly recommend traxxas batteries!
    Last edited by lektro; 03-31-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

I use smc batteries. They work great n dont cost alot. Plus they have a selection of plugs. Traxxas n deans are common n the charge a lil for other styles

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Can't anyone around here take some funnin? I do have all traxxas batteries and probably will never have the need for any other in my lifetime...............But If I did, SMC for me!
    Last edited by lektro; 03-31-2018 at 08:20 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinuhe_0123 View Post
    My rcs have been in storage for about 1 year and I noticed that the batteries puffed up a bit. I visited SPC website to buy new batteries and they are no longer available from what I saw. My question is, what battery brand do you recommend? I'm looking to get hard case 3s and 4s lipos and want to keep the cost as low as possible but also get a good battery. Any information is welcomed. Thank you.
    Ive owned 4 different brands. All lipos and all were pretty much the same in terms of performance. But thats where it ended as far commonalities. The differences were how fast could you charge them, price point and durability.
    Clear winners where Trx and SMC. I chose in the end to go with SMC for 2 reasons. You can charge them at 2c (2x the A capacity according to mah) and price points. While Trx batts are pricey their customer service is second to none! Ive heard of ppl getting batts replaced for different reasons whereas SMC only has damage replacement program that allows for percentage off should they become damaged. Dont remember specifics but on the website if you want to know more.
    I cant comment on durability because I only have a few Trx batts and over 12 SMC lipos so they get used way more than Trx batts do, so cant really give a good comparison on that.
    Before you give up on your batts automatically just know theres a difference in swelling and puffing. Swelling is a slight to small curving to the shell of a batt. Puffing is a moderate to large curving in shell resulting in cracking, busting or separation of batts outer shell and could even rip cell wrapping. A ripped or punchered cell has a very distinct chemical smell. Ive experienced this when my speed runner hit a pole and ruined a 3s.
    If not cracked and doesnt smell, Id check cell voltage and if cells are within .03 - .05 of each other and storage charge of 3.80 then Id try to charge in a lipo bag(which you should anyway for safety). If it charges up to 4.18 - 4.20 on each cell within the usual time it used to charge in, imo Id say your ok. If any cell seems to not want to take a charge or gets hot or starts smelling, Id stop and dispose of properly. Most hobby shops (Im assuming cause mine do), should take old batts.
    Hope this helps and imo only. I dont claim to be an expert this is just my experience, common sense and what Ive read on them.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-01-2018 at 02:27 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    I too mostly have Traxxas batteries, but bought a non Traxxas battery here recently. I’m strongly considering going SMC from here on out because your choice of chargers is much greater than if you stick with Traxxas only. Granted Traxxas has made it about fool proof for lipos, but you can get more info and get chargers that can do more than just two batteries at a time (I also have a Revo in addition to my pede)

Quote Originally Posted by Meangreen1979 View Post
    I too mostly have Traxxas batteries, but bought a non Traxxas battery here recently. Iím strongly considering going SMC from here on out because your choice of chargers is much greater than if you stick with Traxxas only. Granted Traxxas has made it about fool proof for lipos, but you can get more info and get chargers that can do more than just two batteries at a time (I also have a Revo in addition to my pede)
    You can charge Trx batts on any charger you want. It just takes the balance lead built in to the Traxxas batt plug and splits it in to a separate balance lead from the main charging plug. The adapters are cheap. If you like Trx batts and want to stick with them then go for it.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-02-2018 at 02:03 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...