RC Competitor

Question Recommended Dual Lipo Charger?

Hi guys! Just got my X-Maxx yesterday, and am planning on trying it out later today.

I currently have an iMAX B6AC charger that I used for my E-Maxx lipos, but I'm looking to upgrade since I can't even charge my 4s or even some of my 2s batteries at 1C since it maxes at 5A. Looking around, there are several dual chargers in the $100-$150 range, and I'm not sure if some are better than others. The two I've been looking at are the Hobbymate at $130 or Crazepony at $107. Both can charge at 12A on each port, so it would be plenty for the batteries I have, and even parallel charging my E-Maxx lipos. Is one better than the other or are there better alternatives? I'd like to get one with a built in AC/DC PSU to keep it the charging setup simple.

Thanks!

I've been very happy with my two Venom Pro Quads for $180 each on Amazon.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Competitor
    It looks like that is only capable of 7A, which is just shy of 1C charging for my 7400MAH lipos. It's also more expensive than the ones I mentioned. While 4 ports would be nice, I'm sure 2 will be plenty. Thanks for your input though!

RC Champion
    the built in AC power source is usually the rate limiting factor. I suggest upping the budget and getting something like an icharger 306b dual port so that you have room to grow. A 1200 to 1500w power supply that can push 25ish volts will do the trick.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Competitor
    Be sure and read reviews of the balance quality of your two chosen chargers. I know my Venom ProQuad will balance VERY good. There is a difference. It will get all 4 cells to 4.20 no matter if they are far off when the charge starts. I never wait on batteries when running my X-Maxx, Rock Rey, and Associated T4 at the same time.

Thanks for your input though!
    You're very welcome, and charging at 7amps or 7.4amps wouldn't be noticeable. I understand that it might not be good for you, though, but for me I don't speed charge my stuff anyway. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-05-2018 at 04:15 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    The hobbymate has 120w per channel meaning you will be able to charge 4s battery in around 7A only per channel. 120w/16.8v=7.14A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Qualifier
    htrc h150 duo , 2x12 amps for around 120 bucks.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    the built in AC power source is usually the rate limiting factor. I suggest upping the budget and getting something like an icharger 306b dual port so that you have room to grow. A 1200 to 1500w power supply that can push 25ish volts will do the trick.
    Definitely looks like a beast, but a bit more than I want to spend. At this point in time I don't think I need that crazy of amperage haha. 10-12A should be more than enough for my needs. I'll single charge my 7400 4s lipos and I can also parallel charge my 5000 2s set or 2s 6500 set for the E-Maxx, and still have room for even something like 10,000MAH or whatever in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroStarGT View Post
    Be sure and read reviews of the balance quality of your two chosen chargers. I know my Venom ProQuad will balance VERY good. There is a difference. It will get all 4 cells to 4.20 no matter if they are far off when the charge starts. I never wait on batteries when running my X-Maxx, Rock Rey, and Associated T4 at the same time.
    This is something I'll have to dig around in reviews for. My current charger only got the cells to around 4.15-4.2 with the first balance charge, so not great.

Quote Originally Posted by ponymony View Post
    The hobbymate has 120w per channel meaning you will be able to charge 4s battery in around 7A only per channel. 120w/16.8v=7.14A
    "12A/120W ea Port! 240W Max" so at least the description says it's 12A for each.

Quote Originally Posted by zeflex View Post
    htrc h150 duo , 2x12 amps for around 120 bucks.
    Yet another good contender at this price range and performance. I'll keep it in mind.

RC Qualifier
    Skyrc d400, 20 amps per channel. I got mine on sale for $130. Has a built in power supply. I can balance charge my 3s 5000 set in 25 minutes

RC Enthusiast
    When the spec says 120W 12A it means that you canít output more than 120W from each channel. For example:
    2s battery is 7.4V typically so 120W can charge 16A. But in that case the charger will be able to output only 12A.
    In case you charge 4s battery which is topical 14.8v the charger can only output 8.1 A and not 12A! Take into consideration that 4s reach 16.8v when fully charged so the current will drop to 120/16.8=7.14A

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 100cotton View Post
    so it would be plenty for the batteries I have, and even parallel charging my E-Maxx lipos
    Parallel charging not recommended I think to balance the cells.

The HTRC H150 is 2x150w channel fyi.

Good luck in your selection.

RC Racer

iCharger (I Use The 206B)...20A 300Watts

Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    iCharger & a power supply from a PC computer and you're all set. You'll never go back or need anything else. They are more powerful and cost less than most of the junk out there.

Visit this thread (nobody ...and I mean nobody knows chargers like this group of guys ...and they're all really friendly. PM a member named Julez who is king of charging batteries)...
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...306B-and-3010B

And then go to this guy for a power supply...
    http://feathermerchantrc.com

DONE!!!

The HTRC H150 is 2x150w channel fyi.

Good luck in your selection.
    Parallel charging is safe with a good charger. Icharger is one of the best brands on the markets for chargers. progressive rc is nice and they are very helpful with support when I've dealt with them. Ive charged 4 lipos with mine and did fine.
    Living life.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ponymony View Post
    When the spec says 120W 12A it means that you canít output more than 120W from each channel. For example:
    2s battery is 7.4V typically so 120W can charge 16A. But in that case the charger will be able to output only 12A.
    In case you charge 4s battery which is topical 14.8v the charger can only output 8.1 A and not 12A! Take into consideration that 4s reach 16.8v when fully charged so the current will drop to 120/16.8=7.14A
    Ah that makes sense. I didn't think to actually check and calculate it out like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    Skyrc d400, 20 amps per channel. I got mine on sale for $130. Has a built in power supply. I can balance charge my 3s 5000 set in 25 minutes
    From my quick look, I'm only finding it at $170-$200 so you definitely got a good deal. From what I can tell, you're able to run 400W from port 1, or 200W from both. Is that correct? I'd be using the 200/200 pretty much always.

As long as the matching cells between batteries are close in voltage, they will equalize themselves when plugged together and the charger will see it like two 1000mah batteries as a single 2000mah battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    iCharger & a power supply from a PC computer and you're all set. You'll never go back or need anything else. They are more powerful and cost less than most of the junk out there.

Visit this thread (nobody ...and I mean nobody knows chargers like this group of guys ...and they're all really friendly. PM a member named Julez who is king of charging batteries)...

DONE!!!
    Of those I think the best choice would be the 208B. It's only $15 more than the 206B but with 50W more power. But considering I'd have to spend another $50 on the PSU and I would absolutely want to add support for parallel charging since it's only single port, it definitely gets pricey compared to some of the other options.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iím using the Hitec X2 Optima. DC only. So youíd need a DC PS

RC Qualifier
    Ah that makes sense. I didn't think to actually check and calculate it out like you did.

From my quick look, I'm only finding it at $170-$200 so you definitely got a good deal. From what I can tell, you're able to run 400W from port 1, or 200W from both. Is that correct? I'd be using the 200/200 pretty much always.

As long as the matching cells between batteries are close in voltage, they will equalize themselves when plugged together and the charger will see it like two 1000mah batteries as a single 2000mah battery.

Of those I think the best choice would be the 208B. It's only $15 more than the 206B but with 50W more power. But considering I'd have to spend another $50 on the PSU and I would absolutely want to add support for parallel charging since it's only single port, it definitely gets pricey compared to some of the other options.

yes its 200/200 or 400, I use it as 200/200 all the time, it has a sync mode where ch2 will mimmic ch1, its awesome when charging 2 of the same batteries. you setup ch1 and ch2 does the same thing. not having to carry around another power supply is nice also.
    however 20 amps someday won't be enough. the newer lipos can already charge at 5c, a 3s 5000 can take 25 amps, works out to be 315 watts per battery. a 4s 7000 would be 35 amps requiring 588 watts per channel.

this charger works great for my current batteries that can charge at 2c. but when the 6 batteries I have go, I'm going to be looking for more power when I get newer batteries.

RC Enthusiast
    I am using isdt D2 dual charger. Very good charger

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post

DONE!!!
    I use a 308b duo powered by a chargery 1500w PS. It's a beast and I don't find myself needing more juice. I charge a range of packs from 2s all the way to 6s and almost always parallel charge. I also have a 208b single channel that can be used at the same time as the 308b and the same PS and still have headroom with the PS.

My only quibble over using a server power supply is that you have to combine two to get 24 volts and that they get stupid noisy with the cooling fans (sounds like a crazy electrolux vacuum gone wild). The chargery PS is silent and will occasionally kick on the fans for a few seconds when needed. Plus - I have heard that in some rare cases with two server power supplied in series, if one goes while in use it will smoke the charger.
    Last edited by rock-rod; 04-06-2018 at 02:49 PM.
    I have an RC problem...

Hey guys,

Has anyone used the Hitec X2 700 DC dual port charger??
    This thing looks like serious business! 1400 Watts total.

http://hitecrcd.com/products/charger...harger/product

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFWPV&P=ML

Thanks
    9.7mph 3s TRX-4 Land Rover

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyFozy View Post
    Hey guys,

Has anyone used the Hitec X2 700 DC dual port charger??
    This thing looks like serious business! 1400 Watts total.

http://hitecrcd.com/products/charger...harger/product

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFWPV&P=ML

Thanks
    It is nice. Remember youíll need a DC PS to supply the required current to the charger. Any batteries that we could and do run would never require that much wattage. That being said it always better to have too much than not enough.

RC Competitor
    Just an update, last week I went ahead and bought the HTRC HT208 and I'm really happy with it so far. Definitely much faster than my 50W charger. I know I said I wanted a dual charger but I'll just have to stick with parallel charging.

RC Qualifier
    you can actually charge SMC batteries at 6c. so a 4s 7000 would take 42 amps, at 16.8 volts that about 700 watts.
    the charge time would be less then the run time HAHA.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you can actually charge SMC batteries at 6c. so a 4s 7000 would take 42 amps, at 16.8 volts that about 700 watts.
    the charge time would be less then the run time HAHA.
    No you canít. They recommend 2C. Itís written in all their battery boxes

I would not charge a 7000mah battery at 42 amps. That sounds like another lipo fire to me.

I charge all lipos at roughly 1c.

Most of the time im charging multiple batteries in parallel and my charger cant output enough to charge them individually at 1c so each battery only gets like 0.5c
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Champion
    Just an update, last week I went ahead and bought the HTRC HT208 and I'm really happy with it so far. Definitely much faster than my 50W charger. I know I said I wanted a dual charger but I'll just have to stick with parallel charging.
    nothing wrong with parallel charging as long as you are charging packs that share the same cell count. I used to charge four 4s packs at once with my little iCharge 208b. Set it to max amp output and let 'er rip.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Competitor
    Since my trucks use 2 batteries, I just parallel charge the matching pairs. (2x) 2s 5AH, (2x) 2s 6.5AH, and (2x) 4s 7.4AH batteries. I usually charge at 1C, but if I'm in a rush I could probably do ~1.5C as that's no problem with the charger. I don't think I'd want to go above that however just out of personal preference.

RC Qualifier
    email Dan and ask, they support up to 6c charging. thats how I got my answer, directly from him.

RC Champion
    Yes they will support 6c charging but is it recommended?? Most likely not and I donít think you would want to do that very often. I could see if you needed a pack fast to do that, but for GP, I would keep charge rate at 1C. JMHO.

RC Competitor
    email Dan and ask, they support up to 6c charging. thats how I got my answer, directly from him.
    That's odd since when i had an issue with a pack that they replaced i was to told by SMC that 2C was the recommended maximum for the packs to be charged at and any higher would void the warranty plus the packs come with instructions that state that as well. now maybe you have packs from them that can be charged higher but all the packs i have gotten from then state 2C as maximum. just my 2 cents

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by razor237 View Post
    That's odd since when i had an issue with a pack that they replaced i was to told by SMC that 2C was the recommended maximum for the packs to be charged at and any higher would void the warranty plus the packs come with instructions that state that as well. now maybe you have packs from them that can be charged higher but all the packs i have gotten from then state 2C as maximum. just my 2 cents
    Hmm I see you point,

This is what was said exactly in the email.
    Err on second though.. is it bad to copy paint an email exchange?

In the email he said I can charge at up to 6c but he does recommend 2c for best results between time of charge and mAh put into the pack.

We were talking about the True Spec Premium 14.8V 7400mAh 149Amps/90C
    specificity

To be clear I don’t own these batteries but I was considering getting them and was curious as to what their charge ratting was so I asked.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmm I see you point,

This is what was said exactly in the email.
    Err on second though.. is it bad to copy paint an email exchange?

In the email he said I can charge at up to 6c but he does recommend 2c for best results between time of charge and mAh put into the pack.

We were talking about the True Spec Premium 14.8V 7400mAh 149Amps/90C
    specificity

To be clear I donít own these batteries but I was considering getting them and was curious as to what their charge ratting was so I asked.
    I do own them, and charging at 10 amps takes around 30 minutes. Iím sure you can charge batteries at whatever rate your charger can put out, right up until they explode.

RC Racer
    Iím surprised there arenít more people running the Revolectrix PowerLab 8v2. That thing is a beast!

RC poster
    Graupner Polaron

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered the Hitec 44270 X2 AC Plus on friday, it seems to be able to do everything I need. My EZ-Peak dual decided it didn't want to recognize lipos anymore.