Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Marshal He123321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    9,503

    Any CDL holders here in the forum?

    Just wondering how many forum members are drivers, or driver/operators. I might chose this path as a new career. If I do, I will be acquiring my class A from the start. I might do regional to start and get the much needed experience, then go local.

    Google, and Youtube have become my best friends of late. Research, research, research...
    "We know who you are"

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    83
    I live in PA and have a class B CDL license. Only reason I have that at the time I was taking my test the company I was working for had class A trucks but I was only 18 at the time and the insurance company would not cover me so I had to get a class B. My brother has a Class a A license and he had to drive over the road for a couple of years to gain experience then he was able to get a local driving route. Of course some companies hire differently. One thing that did help him is he did go to a dedicated driving school and was hired right out of school by a major trucking company. Good luck either way you go.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier IndyBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Bama
    Posts
    468
    Ive had my cdl-a for 12 yrs. Been around trucks n heavy equipment all my life. I got my cdl in FL. CTL has theyre own school n its local n otr. Im originally from IN, so wen i moved back, i hauled coal n loved it. I now live in AL n i work at a concrete plant. I drive the mixers, pull a short dump trailer n a bulk trailer. I love drivin! But i wont go otr again. I dun it for bout 6 months n i did more sittin n waitin gor a load than i did haulin. But i think that was alot to do with the guy i drove for. If u do choose to get cdl, u can make good money, with the right company...

    Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier westoakmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    915
    I got my commercial chauffeurs in 1988 to drive wheat truck on harvest for my uncle. That was the predecessor to the cdl, then got a cdl when that all started because I was grandfathered in. I have kept it all of these years, because I am a mechanic, and need it to test drive trucks. It as came handy over the years doing some driving on the side for extra money.
    Just study, and do your research. A truck driving school would not be a bad idea, it will help you get some exposure to trucks. Alot of trucking companys will hire you right out of school. and then usually put in with a trainer, as a team for a period of time
    Some companys have there own driver training program, you can check into that also
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

  5. #5
    Marshal He123321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    9,503
    Good info being provided, thanks...

    I could obtain my CDL for free with 1 of the major OTR companies, but the thought of the being away for so long has me thinking, is the free training worth the time away?

    Regional work sounds like interesting work to me, and home on the weekends would be a major plus. I looked around, but found no company that would offer the training for regional, only OTR.

    I could pay the $4500 at 1 of my local CDL training schools, and start working at a local construction company. Their starting hourly pay is good money, but you would only work 10 months out of the year. OTR, and regional would be year round work which is what I really want.

    The research continues.
    Last edited by He123321; 04-08-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    "We know who you are"

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier IndyBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Bama
    Posts
    468
    If u know somebody local that has their own trucks and would hire a rookie driver... U could study up, take written test, use ur buddy/local owners truck for driving test. That would cost less n wouldnt have to go thru the school part. Sometime u can get lucky n farmers or family owned businesses will help like that. Only reason i had to go thru the school was because i lived in FL at the time. Otherwise i would of used my uncle n cousins business to get mine. Ive had the experince all my life because i was raised around trucks n heavy equip. Look around though, may find a local company that has their own school. Most require u drive for them for a yr in turn for schooling. Thats wat CTL does

    Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Marshal He123321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    9,503
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBama View Post
    If u know somebody local that has their own trucks and would hire a rookie driver... U could study up, take written test, use ur buddy/local owners truck for driving test. That would cost less n wouldnt have to go thru the school part. Sometime u can get lucky n farmers or family owned businesses will help like that. Only reason i had to go thru the school was because i lived in FL at the time. Otherwise i would of used my uncle n cousins business to get mine. Ive had the experince all my life because i was raised around trucks n heavy equip. Look around though, may find a local company that has their own school. Most require u drive for them for a yr in turn for schooling. Thats wat CTL does

    Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
    I wish I had such resources available.

    The local construction company that I was talking about, my brother-in-law has been a driver for them for the past 15 years. They are always looking for drivers, but at that apply are B class holders. A class are a bit harder to find, I guess folks are scared of hauling a trailer behind them. My brother-in-law advised me to go for my A class because of the better opportunities, and pay.

    I am excited of this new path, and I cant wait to start...
    "We know who you are"

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier IndyBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Bama
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    I wish I had such resources available.

    The local construction company that I was talking about, my brother-in-law has been a driver for them for the past 15 years. They are always looking for drivers, but at that apply are B class holders. A class are a bit harder to find, I guess folks are scared of hauling a trailer behind them. My brother-in-law advised me to go for my A class because of the better opportunities, and pay.

    I am excited of this new path, and I cant wait to start...
    Hes right class A gives a wide variety of jobs. B limits u to basically tri-axle n C class

    Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    27
    I have one but dont drive yruck anymore

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    945
    Plus one for the CDL. I don't drive as a driver but as a mechanic running back and forth for trucks and going out on the road to fix them requires me to have a CDL. Are there right if you have a fast day you'll definitely make more money I'm going to have to kind of sacrifice what it takes to make that but not always.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    19,488
    I know a few driver's. My father in law has done everything from cross country to local... His advice is to go to a reputable school, it opens up doors to more companies that are hiring. He hires for his company and trains new employees, even the experienced ones on their routes. He tells me he'd rather get a newbie from a school who has not developed any bad habits than one who picked up most of their skills from on the job training.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,329
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    Just wondering how many forum members are drivers, or driver/operators. I might chose this path as a new career. If I do, I will be acquiring my class A from the start. I might do regional to start and get the much needed experience, then go local. Google, and Youtube have become my best friends of late. Research, research, research...
    I work for gov't and have a class A CDL drivers license. I drive tandum dump trucks n trailers with air brakes. We haul backhoes, highlifts, etc. With my disease I dont see that happening much more if ever again. Just remember "bent, broken or cracked" lmbo. We had really good instructors teaching us and preparing for the walk around, skills and driving tests. On the pre trip everything is "Im looking at frame to see if its bent broken or cracked. Im looking to see if wheel is bent, broken or cracked. Im looking to see if springs are bent broken or cracked, etc". About 100 times lmbo. Then you go to the trailer haha.... Ill see if I cant find the pre trip book we had to memorize and pm it to ya.

    I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-27-2018 at 04:31 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  13. #13
    Marshal He123321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    9,503
    I've read, and searched, and watched so many You Tube videos that my head is still spinning... The 1 thing I see many agree on, is hazmat and driving tankers is where the money is at. But of course, you must have that experience under your belt 1st.
    "We know who you are"

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    I've read, and searched, and watched so many You Tube videos that my head is still spinning... The 1 thing I see many agree on, is hazmat and driving tankers is where the money is at. But of course, you must have that experience under your belt 1st.
    I used to work for a tanker outfit and thoses drivers made great money. Depending on number of loads and locations depended on the pay day. Even on a slow day the drivers made out pretty good.

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    pageland, sc(south of monroe)
    Posts
    5,723
    I don't have a cdl, but I work in the shipping office for a lumber treating/shipping facility and manage 7 drivers, as well as work with many outside carriers.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •