RC Enthusiast

Pinion Gear Problems - Can't Find One

Hello Members,

I'm hoping somebody can help me out. My SST has been down for a good 6 months because I can't find a suitable pinion gear.

My stock motor and ESC burnt out and I replaced it with another motor setup. Little did I realize that the motor shaft on the new motor was bigger than the stock one. The motor combination is brushless and is a 4500kV. With this high speed low torque motor I'd like to stick with stock gearing, but I'll take anything close at this time.

Stock gearing - 10T-48P / 60T-48P

Stock motor - 2.0mm
    New motor - 2.3mm

Any hints or clues? Most everything I find is 2.0mm, 3.1mm, or 5mm shaft diameter pinions. Really struggling hear and my local hobby shops haven't been super helpful.

Thanks,
    Andy,

It's an easy fix if this is what I think it is, the motor shaft is slightly to wide for the pinion. If so, then all you have to do is grab a drill, get a small drill bit that is slightly bigger than the hole in the pinion, and drill it bigger. Be sure to remove the little grub screw first, so that doesn't get ruined. It's an easy fix, I did it to my Hobbywing Quickrun 2435 brushless 4500kv motor.
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I actually tried this and I wasn't successful. Perhaps I need to try this again with a fresh gear and a new drill bit.

I also have a Quickrun 2435 brushless motor.

Thanks,
    Andy

RC Enthusiast
    Quick update....It worked. I had to sharpen the drill bit about 10 times, but a black oxide 3/32" drill bit did the trick. Patience is a virtue I suppose.

Now I just need to go buy a new stock pinion for my wife's Teton.

Hahaha, I am glad it worked These Latrax vehicles are a lot of fun!

RC Enthusiast
    Quick update- If this is something you're going to do purchase a 3/32" COBALT drill (not Kobalt as in Lowes tools, but with a C as in the material!). This is made for hardened metals and made drilling out the pinion much easier.

Use light pressure and take your time. Use oil or WD-40 to keep everything lubricated and cool. This new drill made the process much much easier and quicker. Overall took about 4 or 5 minutes to create the right size hole accurately.

I just went the cheap, and really only way for me, I found a set of Husky drill bits, and used the right size one, and quickly went full speed right through.