Thread: Motor system

RC poster

Motor system

So I have the traxxas slash 2wd and I've been looking to switch to a brushless setup and put a lipo in it. Not sure what to buy and could really use help with it

Prepair for the tidal wave of recommendations! Let me first ask, what's your budget? What are your intentions with the truck? What voltage (lipo cell count) do you want to run? Those three answers will greatly help us figure out a recommendation.

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Qualifier
    Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT WP ESC Combo w/Sensored 1410 Motor (3800kV)
    (5mm Shaft) 107.00 Best bang for the buck.
    Slash 2wd Sand Rail
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    Sidewinder is a great budget ESC, however, if planning to run 3s batteries, not the best option I think

RC Qualifier

Motor system

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    Sidewinder is a great budget ESC, however, if planning to run 3s batteries, not the best option I think
    Agree, I have same sistem and itís great but for same or less price hobbywing is hard to beat. While motor can handle 3s easily sidewinder with 3s is risky..
    No problems with 2s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by traxxas_dude View Post
    So I have the traxxas slash 2wd and I've been looking to switch to a brushless setup and put a lipo in it. Not sure what to buy and could really use help with it
    The first thing to decide is whether you want to run 2S or 3S. This will then help to determine what might be a good choice of system for you.
    Seek forgiveness, not permission

Caveat lector!

RC Competitor
    I’m probably going to get this setup as I plan to stay on 2s, but is the 5mm shaft best for a slash?

Quote Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
    Iím probably going to get this setup as I plan to stay on 2s, but is the 5mm shaft best for a slash?
    A motor with a 3.2mm shaft would let you use the pinions you already have. 5mm means youíll also have to buy new pinions.

Thatís the main difference.

Caveat lector!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Monkey View Post
    A motor with a 3.2mm shaft would let you use the pinions you already have. 5mm means you’ll also have to buy new pinions.

That’s the main difference.
    Ah ok, I haven’t delved into pinions or gearing at all yet, would it make sense for me to just get the shorter one?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Monkey View Post
    A motor with a 3.2mm shaft would let you use the pinions you already have. 5mm means youíll also have to buy new pinions.

Thatís the main difference.
    He can buy pinion gear adapter 3.2 to 5mm.

Both my 2wd's run castle 2400kv MMP combos and I love it.
    I run 3s most of the time but will on occasion put a 4s in when I feel the need to be a bit crazy.
    My FLM build runs 32 pitch 23/56 RR slipper/pinion, the sand rig is geared 22/47 (Team associated 32p slipper and spur); in the sand its just a blast.
    I also ran 3800kv castle motors with great success, they are little beasts that are great on 2s and will take 3s but you'll want to watch the temps just as the velinion's.
    Back in my racing days it was my motor of choice.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    He can buy pinion gear adapter 3.2 to 5mm.

Absolutely, but he still wonít have at 5mm ones as the traxxas ones are 3.2mm

Caveat lector!

RC Qualifier
    As for pinion and spur gear you will want to upgrade to 32p. 48p gets to hot and wears out in a short time. For gearing, 54 spur and 11t pinion with SCT tires. Top speed will be at or around 30 (R/C Calculations)
    The 5mm shaft is just simply insurance, that it won't break. JMHO
    Slash 2wd Sand Rail
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

I get frustrated when everyone says you have to "upgrade" to 32p gears. This is false information and a waste of money that can be used in more important places!
    I have 3 trucks that run 48p gears, the first is a 2wd Slash with a castle MMP 2400kv system, there's no way you can tell me that that system isn't completely overkill for that truck. Only stripped Spurs I've had were due to the motor coming loose and moving the mesh. Run on 3s and 4s geared 78/26, seriously, come on. The second is a rustler running a castle sv3 and 5700 system, geared 86/23 and have never, repeat never stripped a gear in that one. Running 2s and 3s (when it's cold enough outside to not instantly thermal the ESC), again, come on. The third is a thorough bred, associated b6d running a Tekin 10.5t system geared 76/23 on 2s, again, never stripped a gear! It can be done people! 48p gears can be used!

RC Qualifier
    I get frustrated when everyone says you have to "upgrade" to 32p gears. This is false information and a waste of money that can be used in more important places!
    I have 3 trucks that run 48p gears, the first is a 2wd Slash with a castle MMP 2400kv system, there's no way you can tell me that that system isn't completely overkill for that truck. Only stripped Spurs I've had were due to the motor coming loose and moving the mesh. Run on 3s and 4s geared 78/26, seriously, come on. The second is a rustler running a castle sv3 and 5700 system, geared 86/23 and have never, repeat never stripped a gear in that one. Running 2s and 3s (when it's cold enough outside to not instantly thermal the ESC), again, come on. The third is a thorough bred, associated b6d running a Tekin 10.5t system geared 76/23 on 2s, again, never stripped a gear! It can be done people! 48p gears can be used!

WOW thats a very uncalled for attitude. Did you read the last four letters I wrote, JMHO.
    Slash 2wd Sand Rail
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

My apologies if it came across tudish, I agree everyone has the right to their opinion. Maybe just a harsh boil over if pent up frustration

Motor system

My apologies if it came across tudish, I agree everyone has the right to their opinion. Maybe just a harsh boil over if pent up frustration
    Nah, Shaky17 just doesnít like being told heís wrong. Nevertheless, he is. The wearing out of the 48P gears and having heat problems, thatís just funny because the first part doesnít happen and the second canít - if you know what youíre doing.
    If somebody WANTS to run 32P gears, thatís fine. But please let us not make up fictitious reasons to do so.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-09-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Nah, Shaky17 just doesn’t like being told he’s wrong. Nevertheless, he is. The wearing out of the 48P gears and having heat problems, that’s just funny because the first part doesn’t happen and the second can’t - if you know what you’re doing.
    If somebody WANTS to run 32P gears, that’s fine. But please let us not make up fictitious reasons to do so.
    Your funny{:
    Sorry to the OP just trying to help.
    Slash 2wd Sand Rail
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Now I feel bad.
    We all run are RC's the way we see fit that's just how it is.
    Slash 2wd Sand Rail
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Your funny{:
    Sorry to the OP just trying to help.
    Whatís ďfunnyĒ is that by your own actions you show that othersí opinions are not valid, yet you have an issue when told yours arenít. I hope you can see thatís exactly what went on here.

Iíll echo what I wrote before: there is no compelling reason that you would need to switch gear pitch.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

The owner of my LHS told me (the last time I was in picking up a 3800KV sw4,) "you're gonna want to upgrade to 32pitch gearing." I decided to keep it at 48 pitch and take a "wait and see" approach. I do appreciate hearing the differing opinions about it and this should be the best place to discuss it without much persecution.

It is easier to set the gear mesh with 32 pitch! At least for me it is. It seems like the 32p gears would be more durable...not that there is a problem with 48p...I haven't gotton that far yet. I could say that I haven't had a 48 pitch wear out with the vxl 3s setup I have in my four stampedes. Two of those P2des got upgraded to "bullet-proof" status (which is a lie,) and I'm using 32 pitch on those two. The other two P2des are driven by children under 10...and they are pretty hard on them.

YMMV MTFBWY