RC Competitor

Checking Voltage - Traxxas Batteries w/ iD connectors

Noob question, considering this is my first real RC.

I bought my ERevo from a LHS that was going out of business. They sold me two "starter" battery kits for the Erevo, one EZpeak dual charger with two 7600mAh 2s batteries, and one EZpeak dual charger with two 5000mAh 3s batteries. Both of them are the Traxxas iD chargers and batteries. I got both of them for 50% off when I picked up my pre-order. I was planning on going another direction with chargers and batteries, but here I am.

So my question is... how do I know if my ESC is overdrawing the batteries? And how many other people like me are just out there using the Traxxas chargers and batteries? My batteries dont have a balance lead so I am not sure where to start.

For the record, I alway balance charge, use the pack, then wait an hour or so and storage charge.

Only issue I've had so far is blown out tires and (1) failed servo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjriddle22 View Post

I bought my ERevo from a LHS that was going out of business. They sold me two "starter" battery kits for the Erevo, one EZpeak dual charger with two 7600mAh 2s batteries, and one EZpeak dual charger with two 5000mAh 3s batteries. Both of them are the Traxxas iD chargers and batteries. I got both of them for 50% off when I picked up my pre-order. I was planning on going another direction with chargers and batteries, but here I am.

So my question is... how do I know if my ESC is overdrawing the batteries? And how many other people like me are just out there using the Traxxas chargers and batteries? My batteries dont have a balance lead so I am not sure where to start.

For the record, I alway balance charge, use the pack, then wait an hour or so and storage charge.

You can find a converter that plugs into the ID connector that has a gen1 traxxas high current connector and a standard balance plug. This would allow to use the common lipo gauge in the balance plug.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    You can find a converter that plugs into the ID connector that has a gen1 traxxas high current connector and a standard balance plug. This would allow to use the common lipo gauge in the balance plug.

https://www.ebay.com/i/231592733273?...D1494217332270

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-RC-Lipo...-/222533108820

RC Competitor

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

But what about all the people out there who only use the Traxxas iD batteries and chargers and just assume the batteries are charged/discharged correctly? Like my 12 year old cousin? Aren't the iD chargers/batteries created to keep it simple?

I'm going to get me an adapter and a lipo checker, but I think it's unreasonable to assume that the average RCer is going to do that.

Yes the whole point of the traxxas ID system is from what I've read safety, and ease of use. As far as the batteries, I've always thought from reading reviews and opinions that the traxxas batteries are good quality and I would be willing to bet that the charger probably does a fine job of balancing and storing. I would be curious to see your results. I think 15$ is well worth having piece of mind that things are on the up and up. If you find there is a problem it's better to catch it now. Batteries are an investment, they will only be as good to you as you are to them.

Please gents, if you have a specific question or issue, don’t post them in a general problems thread. Make a thread so that your question can be more easily found both now and in the years to come. Thanks.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

I check individual cell voltage on Traxxas ID batteries with a multimeter. If you look on the outer corners of the plug you'll find the balance taps, 2s has one tap on the one side 3s has one tap on both sides. Just follow the little wire up and you'll see where it enters the plug. By placing the leads of the multimeter on different locations, I.E. positive and negative for entire pack voltage and then a combination of positive and balance taps and negative and balance taps you can isolate each individual cell.

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

To expand on the post above, just about any voltmeter/multimeter also works on LiPo packs with separate taps. Typically, adjacent terminals will yield a single cell's voltage and end terminals show total pack voltage.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Quote Originally Posted by Cjriddle22 View Post

The only way is to check cell voltage after runs. I wouldnt purchase the ebay adapter, had one, super sketch and didnt like having to plug in little wires on side of plug and didnt work well for me. I bought the real deal from Trx and been happy with it since day one. Spend a few extra and get genuine Trx parts instead of knockoff especially when messing with lipos and balance leads. If little wire comes out and gives false reading to charger that could lead to batt overcharge and exploding or a minimum a battery that stopped charging and still needs to be charged when thinking its full and grabbing off charger to go run rc. I believe a genuine Trx adapter with a good non Trx charger is the best set up only because you have a ton more options with other chargers like storage charge options, wifi modules to monitor charging progress from phone app, being able to charge from car battery out in field to higher amps for charging batts in less time. My charger even has a built in soldering station. Trx chargers are like I-products super operator friendly but limit you. Whereas non Trx chargers are like android os products. They can be a bit more challenging or take a little longer to figure out but have greater operating abilities. My .02 on it.... lol

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-09-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

I’m sure I may get crucified for this lol, but here’s what I do.

I just use the Traxxas charger. It’s basic and doesn’t give you any info but it does it’s job well and doesn’t over complicate a simple job. I also just figure out cell voltage by reading total voltage at the plug and dividing by the number of cells. It won’t be an exact reading of all the cells but it’s an estimate. I just really didn’t want to make it a full time job babysitting batteries and if it costs me a few cycles off of their lifetime I can handle that. People that are much heavier into the hobby than I am are completely justified in using much higher grade equipment. It just depends on your level of how far into the hobby you want to go. I just want to plug the batteries in, charge them, and use them so I just stick to the Traxxas charger.

RC Competitor
    I just purchased the Traxxas adapter and a Lipo balancer ($32 total). So far my 2S traxxas batteries read within 0.01 on the cells. I have one "other" battery and it was 0.02 between the cells. I only have a a Traxxas dual charger.