RC poster

XO-1 Restoration/Refurbishment Project

XO-1 newbie here inherited, as best I can determine, a well-used 1st Gen XO-1.
    Need & greatly appreciate recommendations on restoration.

I'm picking-up the obvious missing (wheels & tires, hub, nuts, tunnels, canard, etc.) & damaged (turnbuckle) bits from the parts list, but uncertain as to what receiver, transmitter & extras I should purchase. Here are the versions with the latest features I've found:

#6507R - TQi transmitter
    #6533 - Receiver

Do these two components interface & their features work with the 1st gen XO-1?

The 6407 parts list I have show these components for receiver, transmitter, etc.

#6513 - Transmitter
    #6518 - Receiver
    #6550 - Telemetry Expander

Outdated?

Recommended batteries for ~60mph learning mode?

Thanks, appreciate any help from the forum membership.
    Last edited by m3b; 04-09-2018 at 09:31 PM.

You can use any Rx/Tx you want as long as they communicate with each other of course. Traxxas has an article explaining the compatibility of all their radio systems. Just search "traxxas radio compatibility" on google if you arent sure.

But you can use any radio system with your X01 is what im getting at. Although if you want to drive 100mph+ your gonna need a reliable long range radio. So this is one place i wouldnt cheap out.

Batteries: im not sure. Never owned an X01. But i can tell you that if its a regular mamba system, SMC 3s (2x) would probably get you to 60mph, 100mph, and beyond.

Dont limit yourself by getting underpowered batteries. If you want to limit yourself, do it via programming.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

MMXL is correct on batteries . lipo is the best . 11.1 volts @ 5000ma good battery . #6507R - TQi transmitter
    #6533 - Receiver , good stuff with Bluetooth . this allows all kinds of options . need an I phone 5 to get it all .

this is just my opinion from help I got . I am a newbie , but there is great help on here ......... good luck ... steve
    XO-1 GUY GETTING OLDER BY THE MINUTE

Yeah its nice to have telemetry specifically for the X0-1. I mean the whole point of an X0-1 is top speed and the telemetry will show you your speed.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Qualifier
    For original new X01 parts for cheaper than retail you can check out chop shops. I use Jenny's Rc. Some times she's out of parts, but good luck.

amazon has a lot of parts

RC poster
    Thanks everyone for the insight & encouragement.

I went with the #6507R TQi transmitter & #6533 Receiver - very nice with the Bluetooth-linked app running on my Android tablet. For batteries I selected the Venom 7200 100C 2S 7.4V batteries.

Got it all hooked-up and the first thing the app does is automatically upgrade the Mamba Monster ESC firmware. Upgrade went in two stages, and everything seemed to pass the checks. Now the steering works, however the throttle is no-op. After power-up the receiver shows a steady green light & the MM ESC has a flashing green light - all signs ready to roll, correct? After applying just a bit of throttle, the receiver light starts blinking red/green while the MM ESC is still flashing green. Looking at Castle's Flashing LED FAQ, the flashing green light indicates the ESC is not calibrated for the throttle. The calibration routine does not proceed after full-throttle application, with the receiver flashing red and the ESC flashing green. Is there a reset on the ESC?

I'll probably call Castle to see if they think the problem lies in the MM ESC firmware upgrade. I'm poring over the Castle MM ESC Driver' Ed Guide and have downloaded their USB connected app for programming the MM ESC. From the Driver's Ed Guide, to use their app I will need a Castle link chip and USB mini adapter cable.
    Last edited by m3b; 04-14-2018 at 07:02 PM.

RC poster
    Got the throttle working by selecting the Ford GT model in the link app with 7-cell NiMh battery. This setup allowed me to calibrate and arm the ESC for throttle. Switched back to the XO-1 model in the link app and throttle & steering are working well now.

Next two open items:

How to get the voltage & temp readout on the link app? Preferably ESC/battery voltage & engine temp

Where do I plug the two-lead engine fan power plug to get it operable?

RC poster
    Plugged the engine fan power plug into a receiver open channel - duh, working now.

Should have the Traxxas Link App voltage & temp telemetry readout once I receive these on order:

#6524 Traxxas XO-1 Temperature and Voltage Sensor

#6541 Traxxas XO-1 Connector Power Tap

Still going to order a Castle Link Kit to mod the ESC after what I've learned studying their Driver's Ed Guide.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Good job on the troubleshooting! These things require a little bit of diy and tinkering so you have to be able to search and fix or you wont enjoy this hobby
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Qualifier
    You need to get rid of that motor. Way too small for this car.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

ditto on small motor ...