RC Competitor

Interested in summit. Do you find it a good basher/crawler hybrid?

I really like the idea of a summit for some bashing(ish) and light crawling. Is it basically meant for this?

I live in south fl so no real crawling terrain. We have a park that has some crawling like spots and a lot of open area for just gunning it. Do you summit folks find that to be a good use for the summit?

I wanted a monster truck for big air and stuffs but the summit is sounding super interesting. Let me know what you guys think or what you do with your summit. Thanks!

i love the summit, with that being said bashing it isnt nearly as fun as my slash 4x4 which is freaking awesome, cheaper to make it go hella fast

I think if your fine with mediocre speed, the summit would be excellent, its nice to trail rig etc. but personally my thought is youll be happier with a slash 4x4...if you do want to crawl though, the summit is pretty awesome. I have both so i do high speed bashing with the slash and light bashing/crawling with my summit, thing isnt good in turns, or high speed, plus everything is a bit more $$$ with the summit. the slash is the honda civic of the RC world (lots of aftermarket and stock support everywhere and takes a beating).
    Slash Ultimate Modified & Summit - Lipos ALWAYS!

RC Qualifier
    I love my Summit. It's kind of like the Swiss army knife of RC it does a little bit of everything. I feel like it's more at home as a trail truck. Does okay is a somewhat of a crawler not the best it's still fun to go out there and run it. And if you're looking for something fast as definitely not a some unless you upgrade it then you can hit 40 50 miles an hour if you do everything right

Slash or Stampede 4x4's are great entry level rc's. Good for all out trail blazing, yard bashing, jumping and street running.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by whitie_bear View Post
    i love the summit, with that being said bashing it isnt nearly as fun as my slash 4x4 which is freaking awesome, cheaper to make it go hella fast

I think if your fine with mediocre speed, the summit would be excellent, its nice to trail rig etc. but personally my thought is youll be happier with a slash 4x4...if you do want to crawl though, the summit is pretty awesome. I have both so i do high speed bashing with the slash and light bashing/crawling with my summit, thing isnt good in turns, or high speed, plus everything is a bit more $$$ with the summit. the slash is the honda civic of the RC world (lots of aftermarket and stock support everywhere and takes a beating).
    Yea I have a slash 2wd it's great fun. I was looking for something 4wd. Would rather go with a stampede 4x4 or some other big truggy type. Then I considered the summit. Decisions decisions..

well if you already have a slash 2wd, i would HIGHLY recommend the Summit, just a totally different experience and in my mind one of the best RC's out there. I think if you go with the stampede youll be upset you dont have a entry level crawler as well - Get the 1/10 summit!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by whitie_bear View Post
    well if you already have a slash 2wd, i would HIGHLY recommend the Summit, just a totally different experience and in my mind one of the best RC's out there. I think if you go with the stampede youll be upset you dont have a entry level crawler as well - Get the 1/10 summit!
    Yea it's quite a decision. I was wondering if they'd be releasing an updated summit like they've done with other models but guess not.

Do you run a Brushless in yours? I would definitely want to make it faster than stock but if that means getting other stronger parts to handle it I might be hesitant. I don't need stupid speed but would like to be able to rip it when I want.

RC poster
    I've got a summit with the brusless setup from an e-revo and it fricking flies. I've got the front diff out right now though because the previous owner just installed the brushless system and didn't upgrade anything else so they became the weak point. they aren't broken but the front would occasionally stick when it was unlocked and I was rotating the wheels by hand. In my opinion the summit is an amazing rig and its versatility is what led me to it. 2 speed trans. locking front and rear diffs.

RC Enthusiast
    I just got a Summit a few weeks ago and so far I love it. The guy at the LHS said it would be too slow for me stock but I actually am happy with its top speed (on 4s lipo anyway) and I love that it has the 2-speed transmission and remote locking diffs - it's just so versatile. Plus, I love the reaction people have when they seehow huge it is and the lights, etc...

BTW, I had trouble finding one to buy. Eventually, Stormer Hobbies had one, but they're probably out again now. You'll have to do some digging around to find one in stock.

RC Competitor
    Itís my all time favorite so far. Iím concerned they are discontinuing it. Itís been out of stock on Traxxasí website for quite some time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Mine had a Castle Sensored 2200kv Motor and Mamba Monster X ESC. I found an amazing gearing for it and have it written down somewhere. I never really jumped it too much but did bash the poop out of it without skying it. It was my favorite truck. Nearly as fast as my buddies 8S Xmaxx and crawler over nearly as much but fit on smaller trails. On 4S it was a bit slower than 6S but felt best o 4S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CeleryMan View Post
    Yea it's quite a decision. I was wondering if they'd be releasing an updated summit like they've done with other models but guess not.

Do you run a Brushless in yours? I would definitely want to make it faster than stock but if that means getting other stronger parts to handle it I might be hesitant. I don't need stupid speed but would like to be able to rip it when I want.
    I do, it will double your price tho, maybe, guess it depends on what you put in it. What are they $600-$700. Add another $400-$600 and itll be a super mean crawler and fast trailblazing 4x4.
    Upgrades: Single Savox steering servo, Sesored Tekin 2000kv Motor, MMX esc, Full LEM Differential upgrade as well as LEM drive shafts and Axle setup along with dog carrier, Axial beadlocks with Rock Crushers and Single Battery Strap mod I did. No worries about battery sizes anymore.
    This thing is stupid fast in high gear on only 4s! Its about uncontrollable but thats because suspension setup is soft for rock crawling n trailblazing. Some slight suspension changes it could be a mean little yard basher.
    In low gear on decent throttle, it will rip up a trail! Tearing everything up in its path and eating ruts like they arent even there. Then in low gear just feathering throttle itll gently crawl over just about anything.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-16-2018 at 02:00 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Quote Originally Posted by CeleryMan View Post

shucks no, nothing against it (and i actually have a spare stock Velineon 3500) but if your wanting the summit to go fast, i think your looking at the wrong vehicle, your going to at least double the cost if you want it to go fast...why not just get a Xmaxx? this thing is awesome because its a crawler and a slower RC (still somewhat fast, but not pleasing IMO - good for walking on trails etc.). IF you want to go insanely fast get something designed from the get go to go fast (Xmaxx), dont get a crawler hybrid, but again thats just my opinion

I didn't think i would want a slow crawler truck but i gave it a try because it had the high gear and could go "faster" plus i had my slash to get my speed craving filled - i would compare its speed in high gear to a slow Nimh slash (stock nimh slash is probably faster). But if youve got the money to burn, and youll burn it, go brushless summit, heck do dual motor brushless, people have, and they love it - me, i prefer the crawling and slowness of the stock design

RC Enthusiast
    CeleryMan - If you're still considering the Summit, I happened to notice that Summit Racing has a red one in stock:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...4red/overview/

(I've been looking around still even though I've purchased one to see if it looks like they're being discontinued or not.)