Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Definitely save your money and buy the SMC lipos! I bought the 7400mAh from the advice in this thread and I can't complain at all. ALL 4 cells balance perfectly (I think that's more b/c of my iCharger) but these have given me 45 minutes run time and saved me over over $100.

Yesterday I did a speed run towards the middle to end of the battery and got over 38mph bone stock (using DigiHUD app, Traxxas App registered 44mph-lol)! I'm gonna see what the mph is when the batteries are fully charged.

New SMC 9200's for pre-order..

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=507

This looks great!
    9.7mph 3s TRX-4 Land Rover

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyFozy View Post

This looks great!
    That battery does look good! Weighs a little less than the 7400mAh and the specs look like they will fit in the battery tray of the X-Maxx.

X-Maxx Battery Compartment Specs:
    197mm (7.75) long
    51.5mm (2.03) wide (barely fit? could be a little snug with the foam strip in the battery tray???)
    45mm (1.77) height

9200mAh Battery Dimensions
    Length 170mm / 6.69in
    Width 51mm / 2.00in
    Height 44mm / 1.73n
    Weight 832gr /20.34oz

RC Enthusiast
    Ok I have to give these a try!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Can I use the traxxas dual battery charger on these smcs? Also, are the connectors identical or do you need an adaptor?
    Last edited by Dgt1031; 05-13-2018 at 07:52 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgt1031 View Post
    Can I use the traxxas dual battery charger on these smcs? Also, are the connectors identical or do you need an adaptor?
    Yes you can. I bought one and it's great.

You need to solder in the Traxxas connector and your good to go!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgt1031 View Post
    If it's 3s yes, otherwise double check.

RC Competitor
    I snap in lipos that are 48 to 49 mm and its tight but they fit and have never came unbuckled. I tried flipping batter bar over and didn't like how little of the bar actually touched the top of the battery case so I flipped it right back over. I use hard case power hobby 7200 hard packs and I have not ran them down yet. 45 minutes to an hour when walking around and playing. I also use SMC 6700 hard packs and ProTek 6500 hard packs.

I just had a bran new (unused) SMC battery (that going to try out this weekend with my Super Baja Ray) blow up in my storage area. I have to say, I never had that with any of my Traxxas or Vant batteries. Yes, I keep a storage charge on all my good batteries when stored, and I check their voltages once a month during my off season.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I run SMC 7400mah. 90C. Think I paid 75ish per battery. There again. Dont cheap out on your vehicles power plant. Batteries, ESC, connectors.
    These are the best! I will be using the 3s version for sct raci g at an 8th scale track. These lipos outperform super expensive ones.
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I just had a bran new (unused) SMC battery (that going to try out this weekend with my Super Baja Ray) blow up in my storage area. I have to say, I never had that with any of my Traxxas or Vant batteries. Yes, I keep a storage charge on all my good batteries when stored, and I check their voltages once a month during my off season.
    Did you call SMC about it?

RC poster
    they will i have them in mine and they fit just right.
    put the battery in the middle and push the ends of the brace bar thing and lock them in and the battery wont move a bit even with out spacers

Quote Originally Posted by tjt603 View Post
    Did you call SMC about it?
    No, I find that when it comes to batteries (they may be under warranty), but for some reason the manufacturers finds a way to worm out of it. That's why I go with getting the best battery for the best buck rather than paying for the best battery with the best warranty for the best buck.

This is only my second Lipo battery to go bad on me in 12 years (I did have some Nim batteries go bad years ago), so I'm not worrying to much about it. Plus, my time is worth money too. I avoid spending 100 dollars of my time trying to get a free 40 dollar battery. Anyway, I'm sure that SMC are reasonable batteries along with the others that we can and can not mention here, but (IMO) it's best to get the best battery for the buck rather than putting to much faith/money in battery warranties.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-02-2018 at 03:46 AM.

RC Qualifier
    No, I find that when it comes to batteries (they may be under warranty), but for some reason the manufacturers finds a way to worm out of it. That's why I go with getting the best battery for the best buck rather than paying for the best battery with the best warranty for the best buck.

This is only my second Lipo battery to go bad on me in 12 years (I did have some Nim batteries go bad years ago), so I'm not worrying to much about it. Plus, my time is worth money too. I avoid spending 100 dollars of my time trying to get a free 40 dollar battery. Anyway, I'm sure that SMC are reasonable batteries along with the others that we can and can not mention here, but (IMO) it's best to get the best battery for the buck rather than putting to much faith/money in battery warranties.
    It can’t hurt to ask. I have ties with Rotor Riot. (if you guys dont know who they are, Look them up on YouTube.) anyways, I have ties with rotor riot and they test lipos all the time. They send things to some of my drone friends to test and have fun with. Sometimes, the top-end lipos blow up. It happens. Email SMC and tell them what happened. Ask for a new lipo and they will probably go ahead and send you a new one. From my experience, their customer support is great.

And to be quite honest- SMC lipos are the best bang for you buck. They are just the best out of the “good bang for you buck” batteries, and compete against the high end racing batteries that are ten times more expensive. SMC is the best IMO. They are what I recommend to everyone for occasionally taking out their RC once in a while, to club racers.

Okay, I will try sending them an email, and see what happens.

Okay. I just wrote them a nice email.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-03-2018 at 05:31 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Okay, I will try sending them an email, and see what happens.

Okay. I just wrote them a nice email.
    Let us know when they get back to you, and what they said!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by EvHexRC View Post
    It can’t hurt to ask. I have ties with Rotor Riot. (if you guys dont know who they are, Look them up on YouTube.) anyways, I have ties with rotor riot and they test lipos all the time. They send things to some of my drone friends to test and have fun with. Sometimes, the top-end lipos blow up. It happens. Email SMC and tell them what happened. Ask for a new lipo and they will probably go ahead and send you a new one. From my experience, their customer support is great.

And to be quite honest- SMC lipos are the best bang for you buck. They are just the best out of the “good bang for you buck” batteries, and compete against the high end racing batteries that are ten times more expensive. SMC is the best IMO. They are what I recommend to everyone for occasionally taking out their RC once in a while, to club racers.

+1

SMC is now the battery I'll be buying for my X-Maxx from here on out. I love them and was told about them in this forum and have been very pleased so far. All cells balance perfectly every time, provide great power and long run times. The 7400mAh fit in the battery bay with no mods (very snug but I like that as they don't move an inch in there).

I'm interested to see what happens with the SMC customer support btw. I have another thread about how Traxxas handled my recent issues with the X-Maxx and Traxxas' support is AWESOME! Just can't be beat but I had to contact them and Traxxas not only met my expectations but exceeded them...that's the definition of customer support (meet and exceed customer's expectations), so I'm interested to see what SMC does. Like someone said, this happens with everything. So it should be replaced as it sounds like the exception...not the rule.

RC poster
    Hey Guys. Sorry bit of a newb question. Just ordered my Xmaxx. I was going to buy a couple of the SMC 9200 4s lipos. The connector I want is the "Traxxas style first generation"? Just didnt know if this fits the ID connector?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugrip View Post
    Hey Guys. Sorry bit of a newb question. Just ordered my Xmaxx. I was going to buy a couple of the SMC 9200 4s lipos. The connector I want is the "Traxxas style first generation"? Just didnt know if this fits the ID connector?

Yes that fits. The latest connector by Traxxas is bigger, I believe to fit the balance wires but the 1st gen fit the X-Maxx fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EvHexRC View Post
    Let us know when they get back to you, and what they said!
    Dan (from SMC) got back with me the very next day. He said that they need to have a picture of the bad battery to issue out a warranty. I wasn't able to provide a picture do to me properly disposing of my bad SMC battery. Dan said, being that was the case, the best he could do was give me 10% off of a new battery.

In my opinion, I think Dan was being reasonable, but 10% isn't that much off of a new battery when I didn't even get a chance to use the first one. Anyway, what I will do is run the other 3 batteries that I bought (as an experiment), and see how they work out.

If I have any more problems, then I'll dump the idea of supplying my battery stock in the future with SMC batteries. I've been very satisfied with my Vant batteries, but sometimes they are a little hard to get. Because of that, I was looking at an alterative for the future.

I was looking at SMC, because y'all like them, and they're easier to get. Anyway, that's what happened, so I'll just see how these other 3 SMC's workout before I make my final decision of using SMC batteries in the future.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-09-2018 at 04:02 AM.

RC poster
    Dan (from SMC) got back with me the very next day. He said that they need to have a picture of the bad battery to issue out a warranty. I wasn't able to provide a picture do to me properly disposing of my bad SMC battery. Dan said, being that was the case, the best he could do was give me 10% off of a new battery.

In my opinion, I think Dan was being reasonable, but 10% isn't that much off of a new battery when I didn't even get a chance to use the first one. Anyway, what I will do is run the other 3 batteries that I bought (as an experiment), and see how they work out.

If I have any more problems, then I'll dump the idea of supplying my battery stock in the future with SMC batteries. I've been very satisfied with my Vant batteries, but sometimes they are a little hard to get. Because of that, I was looking at an alterative for the future.

I was looking at SMC, because y'all like them, and they're easier to get. Anyway, that's what happened, so I'll just see how these other 3 SMC's workout before I make my final decision of using SMC batteries in the future.
    I think Dan was being totally reasonable since you didn't have anything to show him. I've been using SMC batteries 7 or 8 years now for off road racing, on-road, oval and bashing. He has always been reasonable if issues arise. I've always been happy with the products and service he provides, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase more from SMC. I currently have 1s, 2s, and 4s SMC packs for my fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
    I think Dan was being totally reasonable since you didn't have anything to show him. I've been using SMC batteries 7 or 8 years now for off road racing, on-road, oval and bashing. He has always been reasonable if issues arise. I've always been happy with the products and service he provides, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase more from SMC. I currently have 1s, 2s, and 4s SMC packs for my fleet.

That's what I said. But, I still don't want to pay almost full price for another SMC battery until I prove to myself that they're worth it. So, I'll just use the three SMC's that I have and see how they work out. If they work well cool. If they don't that's fine too. At least I'll prove to myself (one way or another) with out spending anymore money until I find out for myself. Thank you, though, for your time and input. It is very appreciated.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-09-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Just a suggestion, but instead of pairing your batteries by date you should consider pairing your batteries by their actual capacity (not their labeled capacity). It sounds like you take pretty good care of your batteries, so the next time you deep cycle them keep track of what each of your batteries actual capacity is. From there, pair them off with other like capacities. Doing so, will help you get even better life, performance with cooler discharging temps.
    I never thought to match them that way... I usually buy mine in sets of 4 now. I have 8 or 10 of the 7400mah 2S packs, various ages, but I could still check and match them against each other for each batch.

What's "deep cycle" though? Doing a full discharge on a charger, then charging fully? Then tracking the mah put into them for the full charge?
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    Shouldn’t you match them more by internal resistance rather than capacity?

The capacity will determine when the voltage starts to drop.
    But internal resistance will determine how much current is coming from each battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post

The capacity will determine when the voltage starts to drop.
    But internal resistance will determine how much current is coming from each battery.
    I think his point was that most chargers show how much charge is put in, but not as many show IR. So at the very least, pairing them by capacity is what can be done.

It's six of one or a half a dozen of the other. Capacity (C) and Internal Resistance (Irc) is inversely proportional. As you loose Capacity your battery's Internal Resistance increases, and as your Internal Resistance increases your battery's Capacity decreases. Most people don't have CellCorders (I do) or Lipo battery chargers that give you (Irc) values, but most people with Lipo charges can do and get Capacity information.

Anyway, you can tell the heath of your battery by using either or both (C) and (Irc). The big advantage with an (Irc) test, as apposed to (C) test, is that you can conduct an Internal Resistance (Irc) check with a fully charged battery that is in use. You can not do that when testing a battery for its' Capacity, because you have to discharge the battery, first, before you can perform a (C) test by charging it back up again.

The capacity will determine when the voltage starts to drop, but internal resistance will determine how much current is coming from each battery.
    The Capacity will tell you how much voltage or amperage (depending on the type of battery) a battery can hold, and Internal Resistance will dictate how fast your battery can get it's (Vc) or (Ic) to its' load.

In summery, all you have to do is match your battery packs with similar Capacities (make things easy on yourself), and theoretically you should get better life spans out of your batteries.

What's "deep cycle" though?
    Deep Cycling a battery (in this case a Lipo battery) is when you have a Lipo battery being stored with a storage charge applied, you discharge it to it's lowest (factory suggested) voltage level, then you charge it back up to a its' full (factory suggested) charged level, and then finally discharge it back down to a (factory suggested) storage voltage.

This is usually done during a person's offseason. Battery manufactures will usually tell you how long you can keep one of their batteries stored with a Storage Charge on it before needing to Deep Cycling it. As an example, I usually do mine once or twice during my off season. Hopefully, I've helped you with this, but now I got to go. Take care.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-12-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Ah, so just a discharge then storage charge cycle. Wouldn't running them dead to LVC and charging to storage be similar to that?

Usually, if I don't run a pack after charging it, I put it on my charger to storage charge it. Takes forever as it only does 5A per port. I storage charge all my packs every time I bash and only charge them up in the morning before using them.

RC Racer
    Just puffed my second set of trx 3s 5000s 25c.
    Motor was only 185
    Lipos were really hot.
    I think Im in the market for batteries now too...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just puffed my second set of trx 3s 5000s 25c.
    Motor was only 185
    Lipos were really hot.
    I think Im in the market for batteries now too...
    Did you over discharge them? Curious what the resting voltage is. I personally dont see how traxxas batteries belong in a big vehicle. Assuming 25C is an accurate piece of information, its not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Ah, so just a discharge then storage charge cycle.
    No, not quite. You are reading two out of the three steps. Read this again.

Deep Cycling a battery (in this case a Lipo battery) is when you have a Lipo battery being stored with a storage charge applied, you discharge it to it's lowest (factory suggested) voltage level, then you charge it back up to a its' full (factory suggested) charged level, and then finally discharge it back down to a (factory suggested) storage voltage.

Wouldn't running them dead to LVC and charging to storage be similar to that?
    Yes, but during the your off season you are not doing that. Read this again.

This is usually done during a person's offseason. Battery manufactures will usually tell you how long you can keep one of their batteries stored with a Storage Charge on it before needing to Deep Cycling it. As an example, I usually do mine once or twice during my off season.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-13-2018 at 03:36 AM.

I didn't explain to well I guess. I have my charger set to go to the lowest when it's in discharge mode. I just don't use that mode now that I know my charger will discharge a full battery down to storage charge when in storage mode. At first, I thought I had to discharge in discharge mode, then storage charge for the charger to do it's job. Then I tried just using storage mode to bring the battery down and it did, so that's all I've been doing since.

But I didn't know you had to cycle them like that if you weren't using them in the off months. Granted, I got into electric so I could run in the winter, but I only ran a couple times last winter and I didn't run all my packs. So, if you don't run packs for 3-4 months, should you do this deep cycling once a month?

RC Racer
    they got down to 3.2 volts
    I have maybe 8-12 runs on them, and they are storage balanced after every run.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    they got down to 3.2 volts
    I have maybe 8-12 runs on them, and they are storage balanced after every run.
    Id call Traxxas. Maybe theyll send you more batteries. If you get them, sell them and buy good batteries.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I’d call Traxxas. Maybe they’ll send you more batteries. If you get them, sell them and buy good batteries.

I already did, this is the replacement set that puffed

So, if you don't run packs for 3-4 months, should you do this deep cycling once a month?
    That's what most battery makers say to do, but you should take a look at what your battery manufacturer specific instructions are. For me, my battery maker suggests every 6 weeks when not being used.

I generally cycle between every 6 to 8 weeks during my off season which is like yours (between 3 and 4 months long). When I deep cycle, I bring my batteries down to 3.2, up to 4.6, back down to 3.4vdc, and then place them back into my storage area.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 06-14-2018 at 03:31 AM.

RC Racer
    I think my wife is getting me the smc 4s 9200s for Father’s Day..

You either have a great wife, you're a great dad, or both! (lol) Happy Father's Day! For me, my wife is taking me out for smoked ribs, and then she and I are going out with my Xmaxx and her Super Baja Ray.

RC Racer

Update On My SMC Lipos...

I've had my SMC lipos for over a year now and yesterday I charged them up for another day of bashing and I couldn't have been more impressed. After a year and plenty of banging around, my charger balanced charged every cell for both batteries @ 4.20! I love my iCharger 206b as well, which also plays a bigger part in these results as it balance charges all my lipos correctly for my planes too! I even have a ***** lipo over 10 years old and it balanced charged all cells perfectly! So thanks again guys for recommending SMC lipos! They have been excellent, quality lipos, great power and long run times.

Here are a few pics I took yesterday after charging them. One lipo I even charged at 2C rating 14.8 to hurry up the charging time, which worked and all cells still balanced perfectly at 4.20...

1st Lipo...

2nd Lipo...

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Welp, I'm not happy with my smc 5400 packs. 1 set has 31 cycles, the other set has 28 cycles. 1 battery from each set has puffed in my last 3 outings. Upon inspection, in each pack, 1 cell puffed... Very badly. On all 4 of these packs, I've documented cycles, dates, ir, and resting votages. The packs are put to storage every bash session. No cell in any pack has been below 3.71v at resting voltage after a run. All 4 packs arrived balanced and we're at 3 ohm ir on 1st charge.

After 10 to 15 runs, the ir started climbing, and packs were more and more out of balance. I just charged up the remaining 2 packs, ir readings are 7 ohm and 8 ohm. At 1c charge it took 1 hr and 1hr 11 min to charge from storage. Most of that time was balancing at end.

The 2 packs that puffed we're at 8 ohm and 10 ohm ir on the charge before puffing.

SMC is not infallible. I believe these cells were a bad batch of lower quality cells. I believe they knew it, and is why they were on sale at a such a rediculous price(45$). Even at that price, 30 cycles is not getting my money's worth.

To be fair, I don't believe this is the norm for smc. My 2s and 3s packs from them have been much better, holding their low irs and needing much less balancing after hitting lvc around 3.7v.

So in conclusion, I'm not mad about this as I did buy these in a fire sale(no pun intended). But I am disappointed. I raced with a few guys that ran power hobby packs when I raced carpet oval. The packs ran fine with our more expensive race packs, and those guys ran them for 2 years with no complaints when I raced. I'm gonna give them a shot. Just ordered 2 5200 60c packs. I'll let ya know how they work out. If they are still in good shape after 15 runs, I will try a bigger capacity.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    And I puffed my 3rd pack in 3 outings...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast