Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 135
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164

    Good But Cheap Lipos...

    Anyone use these liposin their X-Maxx?

    https://m.ebay.com/itm/ZOP-Power-14-...AAAOSwpHFZaHr7

    I'm looking for longer run times. The Floureons I hearare good but are only 5000mAh and I'd likeat least 5500mAh for around $90 or less.

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    3,867
    I know you want 4s, but I get Vant's or SMC's 3s 6600's for appox 60 bucks. You could probably get their 4s versions for the price you're looking for.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-13-2018 at 03:11 AM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,015
    I run SMC 7400mah. 90C. Think I paid 75ish per battery. There again. Donít cheap out on your vehicles power plant. Batteries, ESC, connectors.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    holland michigan
    Posts
    647
    For $90 you could get the SMC 4s 7200mah I think

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by slashcrazy View Post
    For $90 you could get the SMC 4s 7200mah I think

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Think I paid a little less. Maybe 80 bucks. Seems like I paid 160 shipper for 2. 7400mah I think. Maybe theyíre 7600. I canít remember.

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    1,390
    I'm using those floureon 3s 5000 mah packs in my 8s maxx and they would well. I had to dremel little slots into the sides of the chassis to fit the battery leads. Even with no punch control active with the HW Max6 esc these packs have no issue keeping up with the amp draw. Run times are short though - about 12-15 mins depending on how much time is spent at full tilt
    I have an RC problem...

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164
    So the SMC 4s 7200mah fit the X-Maxx with no mods?

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164
    Also, does anyone know the dimensions of the battery bay? I'm having a hard time knowing how tall the battery can be. I think 48mm wide is snug but it must be less than this to close the battery latch down on top and snap it in. My guess is 40-45mm? The length seems long enough to fit any battery I've found...

    Oh yeah, anyone know anything about these brands?
    This one says it's for the X-Maxx and the dimensions show...
    Lenght : 136mm
    Width : 44mm
    Height : 46mm (this sounds about right as 48mm seemed too tall snap down the battery)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Powerhobb....c100009.m1982


    And I found these...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/HRB-4S-6000...97.m4902.l9144
    Last edited by Nickerz; 04-13-2018 at 04:29 PM.

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,015
    Yes they do

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Yes they do
    Great, thanks! Anyone know where to buy them? I can't find them...

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164
    I ended up finding these on eBay just now...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerHobby-...72.m2749.l2649

    The size will fit the X-Maxx with no mods too! Dimensions are...
    Length : 136mm
    Width : 44mm
    Height : 46mm

    2 of them with a Deans connector (which I like), 4S, 6600mAh, 75C for $159.00 shipped. The Floureon (5500mAh) with deans was only available at GearBest.com but they won't ship these to the US???

    Oh yeah, and I picked up these...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/141760763396
    Last edited by Nickerz; 04-13-2018 at 07:40 PM.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    I ended up finding these on eBay just now...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerHobby-...72.m2749.l2649

    The size will fit the X-Maxx with no mods too! Dimensions are...
    Length : 136mm
    Width : 44mm
    Height : 46mm

    2 of them with a Deans connector (which I like), 4S, 6600mAh, 75C for $159.00 shipped. The Floureon (5500mAh) with deans was only available at GearBest.com but they won't ship these to the US???

    Oh yeah, and I picked up these...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/141760763396
    So you got no name eBay batteries and adapters, as opposed to getting good proven batteries and soldering on the connectors youíd prefer. Those adapters just add another layer of heat generation and voltage drop due to increased resistance. Sorry for being harsh but why ask the question if you donít want advice.
    That being said I hope it all works out for you.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    So you got no name eBay batteries and adapters, as opposed to getting good proven batteries and soldering on the connectors you’d prefer. Those adapters just add another layer of heat generation and voltage drop due to increased resistance. Sorry for being harsh but why ask the question if you don’t want advice.
    That being said I hope it all works out for you.
    You're right, you don't need to be harsh...just need to read my previous post above #10....................

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    I'm using those floureon 3s 5000 mah packs in my 8s maxx and they would well. I had to dremel little slots into the sides of the chassis to fit the battery leads. Even with no punch control active with the HW Max6 esc these packs have no issue keeping up with the amp draw. Run times are short though - about 12-15 mins depending on how much time is spent at full tilt
    correction - I am using the 4000 mah packs not 5000. Sorry!
    I have an RC problem...

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,015

    Good But Cheap Lipos...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    You're right, you don't need to be harsh...just need to read my previous post above #10....................
    https://www.smc-racing.net/
    Google is your friend

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    https://www.smc-racing.net/
    Google is your friend
    ... only if you use Google correctly. Those batteries don't fit in the X-Maxx but thanks for trying to help. Apparently the 7200mAh no longer exist.

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,015

    Good But Cheap Lipos...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    ... only if you use Google correctly. Those batteries don't fit in the X-Maxx but thanks for trying to help. Apparently the 7200mAh no longer exist.
    Geez man. I have,and run them. I can tell
    You they fit. The 7400mah is what I have. I donít think the 7200mah ever was a thing.

  18. #18
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    SE, Wisconsin
    Posts
    23
    RC juice,you missed one day sale 13th.8000mah 70 bucks,100c. Fit an great in xmaxx.

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164

    SMC Emailed Me Saying That Battery Doesn't Fit...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Geez man. I have,and run them. I can tell
    You they fit. The 7400mah is what I have. I donít think the 7200mah ever was a thing.
    Thanks for the pic! Now that's just frustrating...the 7400mAh was the one I was looking at Friday on the SMC website but the dimensions of the battery looked like they wouldn't fit, so I emailed SMC directly and they emailed me back (guy named Danny Sullivan) confirmed that the 7400mAh battery doesn't fit the X-Maxx without mods and I already said I don't want to mod to fit the battery.

    And the 7200mAh SMC battery was mentioned above which is why I was trying to search for it initially. I asked in post #7 above if the 7200mAh fit with no mods and was told yes so these were the ones I tried searching for at first and couldn't find them, even at SMC's website. That's when I found the 7400mah and Friday I emailed SMC directly about the 7400mAh (not the 7200-since I can't find them).

    So what's a guy to do? Seems like confusion all over the place even when you go to the source...very frustrating.

    Looking at the pic, the 7400mah looks like it fits but there seems to be a lot of space in there. Do you have any issues with them moving around in the battery bay? Or anything else I should be aware of? Reason I still ask is I can simply return the PowerHobby lipos I ordered off eBay since they have a return policy and buy these.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier rtmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Across river Portland,Or.
    Posts
    680
    It looks like Grip flipped his battery hold downs is the only “mod” needed.

  21. #21
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    168
    If you look on their site all their 4s batteries are 48mmx48mm --I have the 6700 mah ones sold a few months ago and they fit nice and tight under the lock bar so they will not move back and forth so you will be fine with them.

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

    For what it's worth the PowerHobby lipos have good feedback from what I've read on this forum and other forums but like Grip said...the adapters could increase resistance. Plus, I'd rather have a higher mAh rating for longer run times anyway (7400mAh vs. 6600mAh for the PowerHobby for the same price)!

  23. #23
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,015

    Good But Cheap Lipos...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    Thanks for the pic! Now that's just frustrating...the 7400mAh was the one I was looking at Friday on the SMC website but the dimensions of the battery looked like they wouldn't fit, so I emailed SMC directly and they emailed me back (guy named Danny Sullivan) confirmed that the 7400mAh battery doesn't fit the X-Maxx without mods and I already said I don't want to mod to fit the battery.

    And the 7200mAh SMC battery was mentioned above which is why I was trying to search for it initially. I asked in post #7 above if the 7200mAh fit with no mods and was told yes so these were the ones I tried searching for at first and couldn't find them, even at SMC's website. That's when I found the 7400mah and Friday I emailed SMC directly about the 7400mAh (not the 7200-since I can't find them).

    So what's a guy to do? Seems like confusion all over the place even when you go to the source...very frustrating.

    Looking at the pic, the 7400mah looks like it fits but there seems to be a lot of space in there. Do you have any issues with them moving around in the battery bay? Or anything else I should be aware of? Reason I still ask is I can simply return the PowerHobby lipos I ordered off eBay since they have a return policy and buy these.
    Thereís no space front to back with the included foam, and top to bottom they also fit perfect. Iím gonna get another set soon.

    My only point responding in this thread was to help, someone should be able to benefit from others experiences.
    Last edited by Gripdog7205; 04-15-2018 at 04:14 PM.

  24. #24
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    68
    SMC's would have been a nice choice, Ive had great luck with them in my Maxx. I would suggest maybe skipping the adapters and solder new connectors on the new packs , i had a bad adapter and almost nuked my RC , must have been a bad solder joint and the whole thing was red hot and started to melt after that i stopped using adapters just my 2 cents

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by rtmike View Post
    It looks like Grip flipped his battery hold downs is the only ďmodĒ needed.
    Yes same here, just flip hold downs and itll fit taller batts! Super simple, sometimes "modifying" doesnt mean anything drastic, can be as simple as removing a few screws...
    Quote Originally Posted by js1badsti View Post
    If you look on their site all their 4s batteries are 48mmx48mm --I have the 6700 mah ones sold a few months ago and they fit nice and tight under the lock bar so they will not move back and forth so you will be fine with them.
    I use the same. They give decent run times and Im a die hard SMC fan, I own like 14 & 5 Trx batts. SMC are just tough, have taken a beating and provide more than enough juice for even my most demanding systems like 8s X, 1700kv Tekin setup in ERBE 1.0 and my 2200kv castle set up in my P4de.

    Now on to the the connector issue. According to resistance testing genuine deans connectors have slightly less resistance than genuine Trx connectors(if i remember correctly it was like 2 ohms). So unless your switching out the connector on the esc wires which is a Trx connector and hes not, there should be any issues with using the adapters. The adapters are usually a metal to metal solder connection so there shouldnt be an issue with the adapter heating up if anything itd be in the esc plug. Tbh I really dont see that small of a resistance difference being an issue.

    Now with all that said... as simple as soldering is, and as cheap as it is to buy soldering equipment, there really is no reason not to have everything in the power system the same so theres no doubt as to providing correct power supply to electronics. Even if you dont want to be a diy person, lhs can and will do it, sometimes even for free if your purchasing something. My last thought... if you gonna be in to hobby grade rc, you should prob learn how to solder anyway. In my short time in the hobby(few yrs) Ive soldered countless times from fixing balance leads on batts, soldering wires on esc's and plugs on end of those to making rx wires longer or making y harness for LEDs.
    My .02 on it
    I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-17-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  26. #26
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164
    Thanks everyone! My SMC lipos should get here near the ends of the week so I'll update everyone.

    I called PowerHobby yesterday about returning their batteries and they said once they arrive, don't open the package, then I can simply mark "Return To Sender"and they will give me full refund.

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    Thanks everyone! My SMC lipos should get here near the ends of the week so I'll update everyone.

    I called PowerHobby yesterday about returning their batteries and they said once they arrive, don't open the package, then I can simply mark "Return To Sender"and they will give me full refund.
    Good deal, I know youll be happy with SMC. Treat all lipos good. Ive gotten a lot of good life out of mine by theses few simple things. Dont pull on rx wires, dont leave fully charged more than a day, charge at 1c and I usually zip tie balance lead wires to main plug wires with a little slack in them. That way if they do get tugged on by accident it doesnt pull or break solder point inside batts and you wont have open them up and mess with soldering back on to cells. Or I put a drop of super glue on outside casing and fold balance lead wires in to superglue(again keeps a tug on balance lead wires from coming loose inside pack). I also date packs in sharpie or paint marker and try to always run same date packs together. One last thing, buy some balance lead extensions, theyre cheap and do save on any excessive tugging or pulling on balance lead wires when charging. Ive showed this before but for those who havent seen it.... With the balance lead extensions I can easily charge in lipo bags a good distance from balance board with no strain on wires.

    I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-17-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  28. #28
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    3,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    I also date packs in sharpie or paint marker, and try to always run same date packs together.
    Just a suggestion, but instead of pairing your batteries by date you should consider pairing your batteries by their actual capacity (not their labeled capacity). It sounds like you take pretty good care of your batteries, so the next time you deep cycle them keep track of what each of your batteries actual capacity is. From there, pair them off with other like capacities. Doing so, will help you get even better life, performance with cooler discharging temps.

    Also, don't sweat having a full charge on your batteries for more than a day. As long as you don't go to long you should be good. The big thing is when storing for long periods of time a storage charge is suppose keep a more stable voltage then a full charge. Also, it looks like you have a pretty nice charging setup...looks pretty safe too. Anyway, here's a picture of my charging and storage setup for your viewing pleasure...hope you like.








    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-17-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier rtmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Across river Portland,Or.
    Posts
    680
    I would of course pair same mAh but if your Charger reads ir, I’d pair them up closest that way.

  30. #30
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    3,867
    I would of course pair same mAh.
    That's what actual capacity is, and I agree pairing them with similar IR would be nice, but not necessary. Most Lipo battery data sheets tell you to discard the battery when 20% of the batteries original actual capacity is lost. So, if you deep cycle regularly, keep an eye out for changing actual capacity, and pair your batteries accordingly, then the battery's IR's will take care of itself. The reason being, as IR increases the actual capacity decreases along with the battery getting hotter as it discharges.

    If a person doesn't have a IR function on their charger that's not a big deal anyway, because, with the information that a battery charger does provide that value is easily calculated. But, as I mention above, just keep track of your actual capacity during your deep cycling battery maintenance, pair accordingly, and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 04-17-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  31. #31
    RC Qualifier rtmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Across river Portland,Or.
    Posts
    680
    Hey Regular, clear out ur inbox

  32. #32
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    3,867
    Okay, all good better. Sorry bout that.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  33. #33
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164

    My SMC Lipos Came Today!

    I got my lipos today from SMC, charged them up and I even fit them in without doing the battery hold-down mod. They are snug but I can clip them in and out with just a little more effort.

    These batteries gave me a run time of 45 minutes today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the info guys and Grip!

    Oh, and they balanced perfectly after the run too!!! My charger charged them from factory storage 3.85 to 4.20 in 34 minutes. Then I storage charged them myself after the run and back to 3.84 all 4 cells!!! Nice!








    After I did a storage charge after my run...

  34. #34
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    3,867
    It looks like you are charging your batteries in a groovy far out kind of way...cool!
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  35. #35
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickerz View Post
    I got my lipos today from SMC, charged them up and I even fit them in without doing the battery hold-down mod. They are snug but I can clip them in and out with just a little more effort.

    These batteries gave me a run time of 45 minutes today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the info guys and Grip!

    Oh, and they balanced perfectly after the run too!!! My charger charged them from factory storage 3.85 to 4.20 in 34 minutes. Then I storage charged them myself after the run and back to 3.84 all 4 cells!!! Nice!








    After I did a storage charge after my run...
    Yeah, very tight(twss)Glad you like them.

  36. #36
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Yeah, very tight(twss)Glad you like them.
    LOL! (twss)

    Yeah, these batteries are great! Great run time and I saved over $100 from the Traxxas lipos. Very nice find!!!!

  37. #37
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    31
    Hi guys!

    Just got an Xmaxx, and I love it. Question: whatís a better quality battery- the 4s Traxxas or SMC? I understand the SMC is cheaper, but which battery will last longer, be more durable, give more power, etc? Thanks in advance!

  38. #38
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by keoni068 View Post
    Hi guys!

    Just got an Xmaxx, and I love it. Question: whatís a better quality battery- the 4s Traxxas or SMC? I understand the SMC is cheaper, but which battery will last longer, be more durable, give more power, etc? Thanks in advance!
    SMC batteries have a higher capacity and higher discharge rate. They donít puff up like a lot of Traxxas batteries. Iíll leave the conclusion up to you

  39. #39
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    holland michigan
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by keoni068 View Post
    Hi guys!

    Just got an Xmaxx, and I love it. Question: whatís a better quality battery- the 4s Traxxas or SMC? I understand the SMC is cheaper, but which battery will last longer, be more durable, give more power, etc? Thanks in advance!
    Traxxas batterys are good but I feel SMC are just as good if not better for a smaller price tag

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

  40. #40
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mike-susieq1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,901
    Quote Originally Posted by keoni068 View Post
    Hi guys!

    Just got an Xmaxx, and I love it. Question: whatís a better quality battery- the 4s Traxxas or SMC? I understand the SMC is cheaper, but which battery will last longer, be more durable, give more power, etc? Thanks in advance!
    SMC lipos are better with less issues. They are very helpful if an issue arises as well like Traxxas but I'd lean towards SMC by far.
    Living life.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •