RC poster

Stampede 2WD (basher) performance question...

I have two old stampedes (2WD) that I only use for bashing when my friends and I go camping. They were old brushed versions that I upgraded to 2.4ghz and 3100kv brushless motors. The trucks both contain the original stock pinion and spur gears. Brushless increased speed tremendously. The biggest issue is that the trucks are so lightweight that they spin out extremely easy (they both have original talon tires). They also don't steer that well because the front ends are so light. I was messing around last summer and experimented adding weight to the front of one of the trucks. As a test I duct taped three old C batteries to the front shock mount such that the batteries sit directly in front of the mount. This made a world of difference in regards to traction and improved steering.

That being said, with this little bit of extra weight do I need to worry about burning out the esc or overheating the motor? Also, would swapping out the rear tires for ones with bigger treads (or locking diffs) make a big difference good or bad?

Thanks for any advice! Keep in minds these are bashers and I am not looking to invest much (if any) additional money on modifying them. I understand that there will be performance limitations with 2WD vs 4WD but I'm just looking for some moderate, cheap improvements to make backyard racing a bit more enjoyable with these trucks. The motor specs are below for anyone interested. Using 2s 5000mah lipo's.

The brushless motor specs are:

Continue current: 60A ESC
    Burst current: 320A ESC
    Battery: 2-3S Li-Po / 4-9S Ni-Mh Ni-Cd
    BEC output: 5.8V / 3A ESC
    Watts: 900W motor
    Max voltage: <15V motor
    Max Amps: 62A motor
    KV(RPM/Volt): 3500KV motor
    Max RPM: 50000 motor

RC Qualifier
    Weight shouldn't be an issue. Best thing for a stock pede. I add ounces to mine.
    The best way I've found are used stick on wheel weights from a tire shop.
    They are the same as the weights you LHS might sell you, and are usually FREE.
    Just stick them on your truck with some RTV silicone. I stick mine on the bulkhead.
    Try a few out. Gear down a bit if you start running into heat issues.

The Talons are not great tires... Can't help you there...

I would up the weight of your shock oil and pre load your springs a bit to reduce body roll.
    That will keep both rear tires more evenly on the ground and not spinning as much.
    Depends on the bashing you do. You said "backyard racing", so if it's a mostly dirt situation.
    without huge jumps, you can drop that suspension down. Lower is better!!!

Not much else you can do without spending a bit of money... If you do, tires first !!!

RC poster
    Thank you for the advice! Any recommendations on decent (budget) tires?

Duratrax mt series of 2.8 tire is a great option thats cheaper then pro line. I have the six pack mt for grass and the bandito mt for on road. They hook up great, unfortunately they sell out fast. I had to scope them out on amazon becase tower hobbies has had a rough few mounths.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the DT tires. I have Banditos and Lockups.
    Currently waiting on back ordered pair of Lockups...

Hopefully horizon hobbies will be able to properly distribute duratrax tires.

Tires makes the biggest difference on a pede. More then anything else you can do to the suspention.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

I have lockup SC's on my slash and I like them a lot but Ive heard people say the foam in the MT's are not good and the tires look flat. Are they worth the money? do the foams hold up? Im looking for a set of 2.8 monster truck tires for my slash (like Trenchers) but the durtrax price point is definitely a little nicer...
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

Just a thought for you,

I would try and keep the P2de as light as possible. More weight = more broken parts/repairs/strain on battery and motor. Change other things like battery position and any suspension changes that will help you manage the P2des monstrous wheelie/rolling capabilities.

Most of the mods I have used involved $$ so I can't help too much, but keep your RC light-weight and use the proper tires. For you and a low cost budget, TIRES are your key to success.
    MTFBWY