RC poster

Best battery for my setup?

I currently have the stock everything except the Velenion ESC and Motor.

I feel like the speed is pretty slow, Iím running a 5000 MaH 8.4V NIMH battery right now.

Iím worried to go to lipo cause I donít wanna burn anything or start a fire.

Also using default gearing, 11:54, not sure if I should upgrade the small gear to 13 tooth

Let me know if lipo is a better choice.

Will the 2Cell get me any more speed? Or only runtime?

Be sure to link the battery as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ankatic; 04-15-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added gearing ratio

RC Qualifier
    If you take care of your lipos they are not much more dangerous then nimh, as for speed you will not see much top speed with a 2s Lipo but you will have much more consistent speed then with a stock nimh battery. I would recommend a SMC 2s 7c 5200mah Lipo. For under $40 it's a great battery

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

RC poster
    What extra work do I need to do to take care of them?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by slashcrazy View Post
    If you take care of your lipos they are not much more dangerous then nimh, as for speed you will not see much top speed with a 2s Lipo but you will have much more consistent speed then with a stock nimh battery. I would recommend a SMC 2s 7c 5200mah Lipo. For under $40 it's a great battery

Please link it as well.

RC Qualifier
    https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=280

RC. an addiction I'm proud of

What extra work do I need to do to take care of them?
    Follow all instructions and cautions. Very Important... Not really work, unless you have a very tired brain...lol
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    +1 for SMC batteries
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

Quote Originally Posted by Ankatic View Post
    I currently have the stock everything except the Velenion ESC and Motor. I feel like the speed is pretty slow, Iím running a 5000 MaH 8.4V NIMH battery right now. Iím worried to go to lipo cause I donít wanna burn anything or start a fire. Also using default gearing, 11:54, not sure if I should upgrade the small gear to 13 tooth. Let me know if lipo is a better choice. Will the 2Cell get me any more speed? Or only runtime? Be sure to link the battery as well. Thanks!
    Please explain a little more. Are your saying you bought a xl-5 brushed P4de and upgraded to the Velineon motor & esc or did you buy a Brushless VXL P4de. Theres a bit of gearing difference between the two. If you upgraded the brushed xl-5 P4de then you need to change the ring & pinion gears in the bulkhead and on differential to the VXL P4de gears(once you let us know what you did we can further assist you with correct part numbers to change them out if needed). As far as batts go a fully charged nimh(8.x volts) has more voltage than a 2s lipo(7.4 volts). As mentioned above the difference is a lipo sustains a constant higher voltage so youll seem like your getting the same power throughout your whole run. Whereas a nimh will continually get slower through run until rc stops moving. +1 on SMC. I own 13 SMC lipos & 2 Trx lipos. The higher the Mah # the longer runtime youll have, but the more money itll be. Read threads below, should answer most if not all your questions.
    Heres 2 good threads on lipos:https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6144905
    Batteries Explained:https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?p=6289866

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Last edited by Briber; 04-15-2018 at 11:33 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

You shouldnt be afraid of lipos. Ive had MANY cells go bad and none have ever caught fire. Just be sure you treat them nicely and they'll reward you with more power than any other battery chemistry for years of use.

Here are the guidlines i follow:
    - i try to stop draining them when they reach roughly 3.7v per cell. They can go all the way down to 3.3v per cell ( or lower!) But they are happier and will last longer if you stop at 3.8v.
    - if they are going to be sitting for more than 24hrs i discharge them to 3.8v per cell.
    - i always balance charge them at a reasonable amperage. 1c is a safe charge rate in most cases. So if your battery is rated at 4000mah, you could safely charge it at 4 amps. 2000mah = 2 amps etc. I normally never charge anything at more than 2 amps regardless of the battery. Mostly because my charger cant output more amps than that.
    - if your vehicle accepts 2 batteries, try to use identical batteries. And the best thing to do would be to always charge and discharge the same 2 batteries together. As if they were married. So take 2 identical batteries and write A on both of them. Now always charge and discharge both A batteries together.
    - try not to leave them in a hot enviroment.
    - always unplug the batteries after use.
    - dont strain the batteries by using a battery thats too small for the vehicle. In other words, dont use a tiny battery designed for a 1/16 vehicle in a huge 1/8 sized monster truck.

Seems like a lot but this will all come second nature to you after a while
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Quote Originally Posted by MaXXL View Post
    You shouldnt be afraid of lipos. Ive had MANY cells go bad and none have ever caught fire. Just be sure you treat them nicely and they'll reward you with more power than any other battery chemistry for years of use.

Here are the guidlines i follow:
    - i try to stop draining them when they reach roughly 3.7v per cell. They can go all the way down to 3.3v per cell ( or lower!) But they are happier and will last longer if you stop at 3.8v.
    - if they are going to be sitting for more than 24hrs i discharge them to 3.8v per cell.
    - i always balance charge them at a reasonable amperage. 1c is a safe charge rate in most cases. So if your battery is rated at 4000mah, you could safely charge it at 4 amps. 2000mah = 2 amps etc. I normally never charge anything at more than 2 amps regardless of the battery. Mostly because my charger cant output more amps than that.
    - if your vehicle accepts 2 batteries, try to use identical batteries. And the best thing to do would be to always charge and discharge the same 2 batteries together. As if they were married. So take 2 identical batteries and write A on both of them. Now always charge and discharge both A batteries together.
    - try not to leave them in a hot enviroment.
    - always unplug the batteries after use.
    - dont strain the batteries by using a battery thats too small for the vehicle. In other words, dont use a tiny battery designed for a 1/16 vehicle in a huge 1/8 sized monster truck.

Seems like a lot but this will all come second nature to you after a while
    Wow, u never charge above 2a?!?! It must take hours to charge a 7200mah or 9000 mah at 2a instead of 7.2a or 9.0a lol. My 9k mah 3s take 1.25hrs to charge. If I had to charge at 2a Id never get my 13 lipos charged lol.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...