Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Some pictures of my Fox UDR

Finally got a moment to take a few outside pictures. I've painted a couple pieces, removed a few stickers, added Yeah Racing harnesses and fuel line as breather hose, made a titanium skid plate, switched wheel nuts to Locked Up RC M5 Ultra Hubs, and added Baja Design headlights (a perfect replacement for the stock decals) and a Pro Line light bar. Need to make some battery terminals and wires for the Pro Line batteries as well. I had painted the stock batteries but thought the Pro Lines looked a bit more realistic.

Love the truck. Much more fun off road. A brief run on pavement caused a traction roll and snapped the rear trailing arm. I filled the new set with a plastic epoxy in hopes to make them a bit more durable.

Thanks,
    Cory

RC Racer
    how did you mount the headlights?

I have some spare headlights that I want to add there also, when i get my UDR

RC Competitor
    I unbolted the headlight covers, used them on the body to show where to cut out (literally the exact same shape as the decal lights) then removed what was needed to and then bolted the lights back together sandwiching the body. Then a little shoe goo on the inside of the body to ensure the lights stay put.

I have some pictures of the process I'll post up.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    Nice details Shop. I like the lightbar spot, I'm mounting a 8inch one there. did you use the pre-exisiting holes on the sides, or mount to the top rail?
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Competitor
    I mounted the light bar to the body since the headlights were there as well. Makes for easy one wire connection for all lights.

Working on adding rear lights tomorrow.

I'll post some pictures of the light mounts to "shed some light" on the how I did it. Ha terrible.

And thank you.

RC Competitor
    Here's a couple pictures of the cut outs for the lights as I did rears today. I painted the lens with Tamiya tail light red and I have to say it almost has a hint of orange which I think works out perfectly on this truck.

Lights are mounted to switch on passenger side dash. Looks somewhat scale and you can easily tap them on/off.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    looks good, throws me off a little the headlightss are so small.

other than that looks great man! The roof lights do look good.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Competitor
    Agreed they're small but they're same as stock decals so I went with them to keep it true to the original.

RC Competitor
    Those front lights are just like in real deal 👍

http://offroadtheplanet.com/home/jus...000-13002.html

RC poster
    Wonderfull details... battery, crick, oil case, fire extinguishers, write tires.. compliments

RC Competitor
    Thank you!

RC poster
    Whatís a scaler like you doing in a place like this?? Lol

Rig looks great man. I scooped one up this past weekend but havenít had a chance to detail it yet.

Great minds think alike because I was considering using the same lights for headlights as I have a set laying around.

Canít wait to see how you build progresses.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
    What’s a scaler like you doing in a place like this?? Lol

Hahaha I know right! Wrong turn at Albuquerque I guess.

The lights work perfectly, would be better if the screws were a tad bit longer but if you shave the lip off the light there's enough to grab, then Shoe Goo to make sure nothing falls off.

It's a fun truck. The Guild has ruined me and I find I have to paint or mess with every detail, but it's fun.

Cory

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ShopGTR View Post
    Hahaha I know right! Wrong turn at Albuquerque I guess.

The lights work perfectly, would be better if the screws were a tad bit longer but if you shave the lip off the light there's enough to grab, then Shoe Goo to make sure nothing falls off.

It's a fun truck. The Guild has ruined me and I find I have to paint or mess with every detail, but it's fun.

Cory
    Great info...

Yes the SBG has ruined me as well; Iíve already been planning my scale attack on this beast...

RC Competitor
    Changed the batteries to Pro Line yellow tops as there was too much red going on. Added a Rotopax I had laying around to cover some of the view of the speed control. Did some wiring on the batteries with terminals I got from Shapeways. Added some decals cuz I'm like a kid with stickers.

Otherwise still loving the truck. Took it to some open fields over the weekend and had a blast. The skid plate has proven its value. Might try and make a rear diff skid plate as well.

Did swap the servo again for a much stronger Savox 1270 with much higher torque than the one I had tried before. I ditched the stock one before it had the chance to break...the replacement was OK but needed more power. The 1270 is perfect.

RC Competitor
    One more because I admit I'm a dork.

Used some silver masking tape, like the kind you use on your attic air ducting, on the back side of the radiator behind the fans. It allows you to actually see the fans in there. Excuse my crappy flashlight picture. It's much better out in the sun. Pointless but I like scale stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Some pictures of my Fox UDR

Quote Originally Posted by ShopGTR View Post
    One more because I admit I'm a dork.

Used some silver masking tape, like the kind you use on your attic air ducting, on the back side of the radiator behind the fans. It allows you to actually see the fans in there. Excuse my crappy flashlight picture. It's much better out in the sun. Pointless but I like scale stuff.

All of your details make your truck cool and realistic, most of us that are into this hobby are similarly minded.

RC poster
    These mods are awesome!! I wanted to do the same to mine!! Now I’m twice as motivated!!

RC Competitor
    Looks fantastic. I did all the same detailing as you then lost the truck .
    Time to start over.

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys.

Dave, I wish you the best of luck getting all that sorted.

RC Competitor
    Found a huge roll of 3M dynoc at my shop. Figured why not. Did a very quick job, figured it'd get messed up and such so it's not perfect.

Found a better matching orange, only downside had to airbrush it. Had a spare set of helmets so I gave it a shot.

And did the brakes in the better match orange as well.

Then took it out and had a blast running it.

Cory

RC Competitor
    ****. Your **** of a detailer !!

RC Competitor
    Haha thanks. I need something to tinker with at all times.

RC poster
    Very nice scale mods. Now to convert it to 2WD to be like the actual truck.

RC Competitor
    So I purchased a clear body with the intent of painting it. Got the bug to cut some titanium plates for the side panels of the body. Thought it'd be cool if you could see them. Decided to sticker up the clear body, no lights on this one as I thought they might shine all over the place in the clear body, and give it a go. I'm making a few more titanium plates for the front sticker'd front panels at some point in the near future.

I also added a servo to the passenger head, but I have him turn opposite the steering servo. I thought it looked cooler than with the turn. On left turns he looks out at you. I'll put a video on my instagram, atlanticmotorsports, as I don't know if I can host it on my photobucket setup. If I can I'll try.

I enjoy messing with these trucks as much as actually running them, so it took some time to paint the clear interior from the inside, but worth it in the end. Then added Exclusive RC interior bits. Yeah racing harnesses.

Hope you enjoy,
    Cory

RC Enthusiast
    Very nice!

RC poster
    Compliments

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys.

RC Competitor
    With all the rain I've been extra bored tinkering.

This is a super strong magnet from Lowes. Some KC stickers I had, and some I bought to be a more fitting size. Sticker stuck to piece of styrene and cut into circle. Hot glue'd the magnet and bam, screw covers. They are almost difficult to remove, so I'm gonna say they'll stay put, but we shall see.

RC Competitor

31 Tooth pinion.

RC Competitor
    Awesome job man, how did you go about painting the letters on the tires. I have tried a few times and never had it come out looking that good.

RC Competitor
    Thanks!

I used paint on the spares at first and it faded and wasn't the best looking. Then I tried Molotow paint markers. I used Silver on the bolt heads and lug nuts, and the tires are painted with Dare Orange and True Blue. I saw a few images of some actual Baja BFG's done with the red and blue and I thought orange suited the truck better.

But sitting at the kitchen table with good lighting, I was able to color in all the letters. Steady hand and it actually isn't too difficult, just takes time. I did 2 coats each. They've been run a few packs and most of the lettering is still fully intact. I'm very pleased with the looks and durability.

I linked the 2mm pens. If there was a 1.5mm of these colors they'd be better, but the 2mm works pretty well. I wouldn't get any bigger than 2mm for the tire lettering.

Dare Orange:
    https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-ONE4A...s=molotow+dare

The Blue:
    https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-ONE4A...lotow+blue+2mm

I highly recommend these markers they work very well.

Cory

RC Competitor
    Crap these are old pictures.

Hold on. That's just paint.

RC Competitor
    Boom. Molotow painted tires.

RC Competitor
    You are the man. Placing an order for those.

RC Competitor
    I hope they work out for you. I'm sure you'll love them.

Bought some 1/4 titanium rod, turned the ends down and threaded them. Sand, polish, burn, and done.

RC Competitor
    I will say they don't shine too well in my kitchen light...so here they are outside my shop after I burned them.

Wow, That looks awesome!
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

RC Competitor
    Thank you!

RC Enthusiast
    Fantastic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast