Thread: Higher C Rating

RC poster

Post Higher C Rating

Hello fellow Aton pilots,

Have any of you tried using a lipo battery with a C rating thatís higher than the Trx 4000mAh 25c battery? I have both a 1800mAh 45C and an 1800mAh 70c lipo battery that I use with my FPV Race quad. I got to thinking that I might get more punch out of the Aton if I used one of theses one of these batteries in place of the stock units. I even made a xt60 to iD gender changer pigtail. Before I give it a try, I figured it would be wise to seek advise from the community hoping that someone has already tried and to find out what level success was achieved. Also, if there are reasons why it shouldnít be tried I would like to know why. Iím still learning what there is to know about batteries and the components they power but donít want to destroy anything in the process.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge on this subject.

RC Qualifier
    I use my higher C rated 3s battery's in my Aton all the time , 2200mah 45C flys great with the low weight for sure

RC poster
    Thanks hemidoo, I was hoping to hear that someone tried it with successful results. My thought was a higher C rating would be ok as long as the voltage remains 11.1 volts. I’ll give it a go today and let you know how it went.

RC Qualifier
    Let us know .... The motors pull harder, better/faster with a higher C for sure .

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidoo View Post
    I use my higher C rated 3s battery's in my Aton all the time , 2200mah 45C flys great with the low weight for sure
    How did the balance seem to be? Did you notice any flight time loss with the lower mAh? Wondering if the higher C rating with lighter but lower mAh battery worked out about the same as the normal batteries?
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Qualifier
    Balance is totally fine ,The Aton climbs ..turns .. banks and stops really fast with the light load . Flying time is shorter of course , but not as much as you would think . I like the 2200 Admiral Pro 45c .

RC poster
    Hemidoo, you were right on all accounts! I ran both batteries (1800mAh 45c and 70c non Traxxas). The 70c is a smaller lighter battery than the 45c (not sure why) so it was the better performer of the two (lighter weight, higher c rating). As you mentioned, all flight charicteristics where normal or enhanced, but punch and speed were the biggest notice. Now I feel like I wasted a whole bunch of money on the heavy Traxxas 5000mAh 20c batteries (i have 4) because when I use those batteries its more like driving a bus than a sports car.

The Verdict... Using a higer c rated 3 cell lipo battery is the way to go if you want real performance out of your Traxxas Aton!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Powermissle View Post
    Hemidoo, you were right on all accounts! I ran both batteries (1800mAh 45c and 70c non Traxxas). The 70c is a smaller lighter battery than the 45c (not sure why) so it was the better performer of the two (lighter weight, higher c rating). As you mentioned, all flight charicteristics where normal or enhanced, but punch and speed were the biggest notice. Now I feel like I wasted a whole bunch of money on the heavy Traxxas 5000mAh 20c batteries (i have 4) because when I use those batteries its more like driving a bus than a sports car.

The Verdict... Using a higer c rated 3 cell lipo battery is the way to go if you want real performance out of your Traxxas Aton!
    Awesome ! !