RC Enthusiast

Slash 2WD Brushed Upgrade Motor

My 9 year old has a brushed slash 2wd. I'm not looking to put him into a brushless just yet. But like to get him a bit more speed. I have upgraded the battery to a Traxxas 2c 5800.

I'm curious if there are any "faster" brushed options out there. I'm currently running the traxxas burshed motor.

Thank you

I know next to nothing about brushed motors...but I have heard that the less turns the motor has (as in 12T or whatever,) the faster it will be as well as less torque.

You might consider a brushed motor with a lower turn count.

You might consider picking up a temperature sensor and a few extra pinions of larger size than what you are currently running.

You could also go with a smaller spur gear.

We need someone with brushed motor knowledge.
    MTFBWY

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah we may need that. I haven't driven my car in a while and my son is getting into it. It make take some time to get reacquainted with everything

RC Racer
    i would play with the gearing first, that will give you more speed with same motor, just watch the motor temps
    Slash 2wd
    it is all about having fun

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by revocat View Post
    i would play with the gearing first, that will give you more speed with same motor, just watch the motor temps
    I understand the gearing. But I'm looking for alternative brushed motors either way.

RC Racer
    I would say don't fool with another brushed motor. Sure they are cheap but as they say, you get what you pay for.
    Personally I would gear it up and maybe watch the temps?
    If it dies you've got a great reason to upgrade ;-) to brushless!

RC Enthusiast
    I have a brushless car already. This is about my son's car.

Can we stick to my original question? It doesn't mean I will buy a motor. I am just curious to if there are options.

RC Racer
    The XL-5 is spec'd as max brushed 12t 550 or 15t 540. You can try a Hpi 15t firebolt. Look on youtube there should be some videos comparing the Firebolt and Titan.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you Igottabeme

I know this is a older thread but I can somewhat help. Lower turns means higher rpms and power but lower torque while a higher turn mean lower rpms and power but higher torque. The Titan 12t is a 550 size can. It would be on par with a 15t 540 Bc a 550 armature has more copper used in a “turn”. However Bc it’s a sealable throwaway motor it’s power isn’t that impressive to a rebuidable 540 motor that were used in racing. Now I normally recommend 27t motors that were from trinity or reedy but those aren’t as easy to find that aren’t abused. I however recommend trying a Tamiya Super Stock BZ 23turn. It’s rebuildable, has the wires and bullet connectors on them and being a 23t it has a great balance of speed and torque. They are manufactured for Tamiya by Sagami who also made motors for Reedy, Yokomo, Atlas, Orion etc. so it a very high quality brush motor. I’m currently running on in my new Slash and it’s enjoyable.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Qualifier
    Holmes hobbies has a good selection, and so does Hobbywing! (I love Hobbywing.) check out Hobbywing‘ stream motors. They have brushed, brushless, and sensored brushless motors in all shapes and sizes. Hobbywing also has awesome customer support and will help you if you ever have any questions/concerns. They reply very quickly, are easygoing, and are very informative. Definitely consider Hobbywing.
    $+RC+more$+friends+more$=FUN!
    YouTube: EvHexRC1

Holme hobbies are using Sagami based motors which is just like the brands I listed. Sagami are Japanese and been making the high end racing brushed motors for this industry for years. Idk what hobbywing is using but looks like those cheaper Chinese made ones.

Edit. I can’t find hobbywing brushed motors but I see other motors listed that are definitely Chinese made. I never had good luck with those cheaper motors.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 06-03-2018 at 01:17 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stylus1274 View Post
    My 9 year old has a brushed slash 2wd. I'm not looking to put him into a brushless just yet. But like to get him a bit more speed. I have upgraded the battery to a Traxxas 2c 5800.

I'm curious if there are any "faster" brushed options out there. I'm currently running the traxxas burshed motor.

Thank you
    The stock traxxas 12T 550 motor is probably the best brushed motor you can get. Also you could try higher gearing like revocat said.

Quote Originally Posted by EvHexRC View Post
    Holmes hobbies has a good selection, and so does Hobbywing! (I love Hobbywing.) check out Hobbywing‘ stream motors. They have brushed, brushless, and sensored brushless motors in all shapes and sizes. Hobbywing also has awesome customer support and will help you if you ever have any questions/concerns. They reply very quickly, are easygoing, and are very informative. Definitely consider Hobbywing.
    It's nice to hear HW has improved their CS, in the not so distant past it was nonexistent.
    I believe from what I read their products have improved as well.
    Good to know, I don't own anything HW but might be willing to give them a try since they've been getting it together.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier

Slash 2WD Brushed Upgrade Motor

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Holme hobbies are using Sagami based motors which is just like the brands I listed. Sagami are Japanese and been making the high end racing brushed motors for this industry for years. Idk what hobbywing is using but looks like those cheaper Chinese made ones.

Edit. I canít find hobbywing brushed motors but I see other motors listed that are definitely Chinese made. I never had good luck with those cheaper motors.
    Almost everything is made in China.. Castle motors too. When I compare sidewinder with HW sct esc, it is like cheap toy grade esc..
    I agree for gool rc and similar stuff but IMHO HW is good product for the price. I donít know for their older products, canít comment them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I did research on this earlier last month. The Titan 12t is basically the best brushed motor for a slash that is available. For this reason I went with a 35$ GoolRC brushless combo and have been loving it. It performs on par with my castle SCT 3800 combo. I literally cannot tell a difference between the two.

Most brushless motors are made in China. I was more inferring to the brush motors. Most brush motors that were made before the brushless take over were made in Japan by Sagami micro. The quality difference between the Chinese and Japanese brush motors is night and day. This is why I was recommending the Tamiya Super Stock BZ 23turn Bc it’s a rebuildable, high quality motor that is also plug and play* and is made in Japan by Sagami. The Tamiya can be found for $30 brand new.

I know this is irrelevant now but I want to update this post. I know I recommended the Tamiya motor and now I have to say that the Titan is indeed the best brushed motor for the slash. I recently purchase a Raptor but never ran the Titan that came with it. I installed my Tamiya motor in it and was running against my uncles Slash that has a Titan in it. I’m guessing his Titan or his battery are worn out Bc my Tamiya was outpacing his setup. I was curious how a new Titan runs Bc of the feedback in the Thread. I was surprised how quick the Titan is that the only upgrade above it is going brushless.