2.0 Battery damage?

Has anyone experienced damage to thier batteries with the new E-Revo 2.0? I've bent 3 Traxxas batteries so far with this thing, the damage seems to be coming from front chassis flex, I'm not sure though. Thoughts? Comments?

it's alright son, I'll fix it
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

RC Competitor
    I know some people do...
    My general rule is NEVER run a damaged Lipo

This is more for airplanes and helis though....

I still wouldnt run it...

Regardless there is a reason as to why most other companies use a hard case around their lipos... I was surprised Traxxas did not do this when they released their line of Lipos... I wish I had a e-revo 2.0.... Looks amazing

Are you sure thats not impact damage? Is it only the end that faces forward that is getting crumpled? Wire side is toward the rear and straighter?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Wire side towards the front, all is well on that side. I'm not aware of impacts to the batteries as they are nice and snug in the battery compartments with added foam to eliminate any movement. I'm not the easiest on this truck but never ran into this problem with my O.G. ERBE. They still balance out well, not swollen and discharge reasonably close in all cells.

RC Qualifier
    i guess it comes from the impacts from landing on the front or rear of the car. i have seen somewhere a video of you jumping on a bmx-track or something. such high and steep jumps are spectacular. however they are very very bad for the cars as it is hardly impossible to land properly all the time and even then they are very hard on the car as it literally "falls from the sky". a "good" jump is when you jump into a slope with a loose ground so that the car lands on the slope and the ground does not offer to much grip. landing on a flat surface will lead to more damage over time as well as landing on high grip surfaces.

bye,
    rhylsadar
    Exercitatio artem paravit

I'm very aware of the abuse I put this truck through, I'm under no dissolution that it won't break eventually. I guess I was more curious if any one else is experiencing the same thing. Also, I misspoke earlier. The wires come out towards the back of the vehicle, the batteries are bending at the front.

Quote Originally Posted by RcManChild View Post
    I know some people do...
    My general rule is NEVER run a damaged Lipo

This is more for airplanes and helis though....

I still wouldnt run it...

Regardless there is a reason as to why most other companies use a hard case around their lipos... I was surprised Traxxas did not do this when they released their line of Lipos... I wish I had a e-revo 2.0.... Looks amazing
    In my experience, a hard case does more to disguise damage than to prevent it. I'd like to see rigid plates top and bottom (I think the original Traxxas LiPos has this) but these do cost you valuable cell space.

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    I'm very aware of the abuse I put this truck through, I'm under no disillusion that it won't break eventually. I guess I was more curious if any one else is experiencing the same thing. Also, I misspoke earlier. The wires come out towards the back of the vehicle, the batteries are bending at the front.
    It is really hard to tell from pictures exactly what is happening. However, my questions were asked because your specific case is identical to others I've seen where blunt force trauma has caused cells to "accordion" on one end of a pack. I'd keep an eye on those packs, but then again, I'd keep an eye on ANY pack I owned.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

A solid eye is kept, I'll keep plugging away trying to find this trucks limits

RC Qualifier
    Keep posting up pictures so we can see the progress. I will have to use my old set of those when mine comes in and let you know. Actually, Traxxas will replace them within a year so I will use brand new ones so there are no questions about what did the damage.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

99% nose crashes compress the batteries in the front end. happened to me many times on the 1.0, and now on my modified single 6s lipo chassis as well, at whatever chassis point the battery can be hit in theory, it happens at some point.

RC Qualifier
    Actually, Traxxas will replace them within a year so I will use brand new ones so there are no questions about what did the damage.
    what is your intention behind that? you think trx should "replace" a compressed battery? just asking.
    Exercitatio artem paravit

Quote Originally Posted by rhylsadar View Post
    what is your intention behind that? you think trx should "replace" a compressed battery? just asking.
    good point. those batteries are crashed for sure.

Heres my questions / comments: d
    Do all cells have the same resistance?
    Do all cells charge in about the time(or does one seem to lag behind)?
    Does the pack have above normal temps after run?
    Is the casing actually split/separated/torn?
    Does pack have above normal temps when charging?
    If not then Id keep using as normal with no hesitation.
    If yes to any then simply inquire (depending on age) if Trx has any options as far as replacement or prorated discount or something of the nature. If not try to find out cause and keep us posted.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

They all (both pairs) seem to be with in
    .05v of each other, this is measuring each cell. Even prior to them getting smashed up it seemed as the E-Revo 2.0 worked these batteries to their limits, they would always come off warm. Not hot, I temped them once and it showed 100f. Call me dumb, call it dangerous but I'm one of those cats not too scared of lipos. I still run these packs as well as some others in different vehicles that most would say dispose of them. Don't get me wrong, I have and will assassinate packs that won't balance or charge correctly. Maybe I'm playing with fire, haven't been burned yet though. I guess I never sent my O.G. ERBE as high or as far as this one, never ran into this issue prior. It's no secret the abuse my 2.0 has seen.

They all (both pairs) seem to be with in
    .05v of each other, this is measuring each cell. Even prior to them getting smashed up it seemed as the E-Revo 2.0 worked these batteries to their limits, they would always come off warm. Not hot, I temped them once and it showed 100f. Call me dumb, call it dangerous but I'm one of those cats not too scared of lipos. I still run these packs as well as some others in different vehicles that most would say dispose of them. Don't get me wrong, I have and will assassinate packs that won't balance or charge correctly. Maybe I'm playing with fire, haven't been burned yet though. I guess I never sent my O.G. ERBE as high or as far as this one, never ran into this issue prior. It's no secret the abuse my 2.0 has seen.

Same here. I aint neva scared lol. Still wouldnt hurt to call Trx and see what they say.

Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Same here. I aint neva scared lol. Still wouldnt hurt to call Trx and see what they say.

I'll entertain the idea, the problem I'll have is two packs are about two years old, one pack was already a warranty replacement some time last year and I don't really keep receipts. Too much evidence for the wife to stumble across and it's kinda depressing if I tallied up how much I have into this hobby. I keep vehicle and ESC receipts, though I've never had to use them.

maybe should give them a call as well... all i did was hit a wall. :P

Haha, okay those I would be scared of! I guess front end hits is what's doing it eh?

yep most probably. the battery compartment of the erevo isnt so good imo, batteries should be strapped down very well in general

Wow. I would cry if those were my batteries. I used to neglect mine and then I would wonder why they were prematurely dying. Now I treat them like a little baby bird. That's unfortunate that's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Wow. I would cry if those were my batteries. I used to neglect mine and then I would wonder why they were prematurely dying. Now I treat them like a little baby bird. That's unfortunate that's happening.
    Collateral damage my friend. I have way too much fun doing what I do to hold back now. I fear my poor Revo 2.0 will have a hard life. If I ever try to sell it just link this post to remind everyone of the pain it has and will continue to go through. (If I ever sell it, ha, yeah right)

Collateral damage my friend. I have way too much fun doing what I do to hold back now. I fear my poor Revo 2.0 will have a hard life. If I ever try to sell it just link this post to remind everyone of the pain it has and will continue to go through. (If I ever sell it, ha, yeah right)

I hear ya man. Not to derail the thread, but I'm pretty sure you nailed it about the chassis brace fixing the shock end problem. I put it on last night. Today I had 3 different 20-40 foot cart wheel incidents that would normally rip it off, survived. Thanks.

My pleasure buddy, it's such a cheap and simple fix, since it doesn't come with it Traxxas should put it in the manual

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rhylsadar View Post
    I mixed up two different threads. He had replied to me in another thread I started about these batteries puffing. I would have Traxxas replace puffed batteries, but I am not sure if they would replace the ones in this thread. My concerns with the puffed 3S batteries stems from the issues I have had with them in my Aton.

RC Qualifier
    Something interesting I noticed. The new Traxxas 2872X batteries are no longer the same style as the original Traxxas iD batteries. They resemble the old school Traxxas 2872 batteries quite a bit more - meaning they are flatter, sharper, and firmer. I am going to have to make a comparison of them soon. The difference is very noticeable if any of you had the iD batteries in 2016. I hope this means they hold up like the old school Traxxas 2872 batteries.

So I figured out why my batteries were getting damaged, figured I'd share to provide some closure. Turns out I cracked the front of the chassis! That's what allowed the flex to bend the batteries. I guess I drove it like that for a while, ha!

RC Competitor
    Is there a metal front brace like there is for the rear? I cracked the rear one and the self righting would work as a result.
    E Revo 2.0 / Slash VXL 2wd / Rustler VXL 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrox View Post
    Is there a metal front brace like there is for the rear? I cracked the rear one and the self righting would work as a result.
    I honestly don't think so. A while back I asked the same question, never got anything confirming there is.

Also, it's not that I think the chassis is weak, or it needs a metal front brace. When you put RC cars through what I do, there is going to be breakages. A little sample of what my E-Revo 2.0 goes through on a pretty normal bases. It's amazing that is really the only big thing I've broke, everything else is little inconveniences.

RC Competitor
    Good point. I drive mine like I stole it as well lol. I guess having a second front brace handy is not a bad idea
    E Revo 2.0 / Slash VXL 2wd / Rustler VXL 2wd

RC Qualifier
    You are saying they are getting damaged because the front end is cracked? Or your car takes hard enough hits to crack it so of course the batteries get damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    You are saying they are getting damaged because the front end is cracked? Or your car takes hard enough hits to crack it so of course the batteries get damaged?
    To clarify, the batteries got damaged after the chassis cracked, prior to that it wasn't happening. Because it's cracked the front is flexing, basically the batteries are stopping the chassis from cracking all the way off

RC Qualifier
    Got it. Thanks for following up to let us know what caused that. I was a little concerned with my newly purchased Traxxas batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
    Got it. Thanks for following up to let us know what caused that. I was a little concerned with my newly purchased Traxxas batteries.
    Repeated beatings like this video. My E-Revo 2.0 does not have an easy life. It took a lot of abuse before the chassis cracked, and alot of abuse after the chassis cracked!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrox View Post
    I made one out of a turnbuckle. Not sure if it helps anything, but in my mind it does. lol

Considering how thin the center of the front shock mount is, would probably do more if I added an alloy plate to the shock mount bolts and mounted the end of the turnbuckle to that.

I'm guessing that's what traxxas is trying to do with the ERBEv2 shock "cage".
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Nothing but problems with mine
    Last edited by Jobaker52; 03-16-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobaker52 View Post
    Nothing but problems with mine
    Care to elaborate? Maybe we can help guide you to achieve a reliable E-Revo.

RC poster
    Actually as of now I have worked out most of my issues and I figured out why my batteries were puffing. The puffing of the battery is as people have said impact damage. But maybe you can help with this my spur gear keeps losing the mesh setting and then starts to click and tips or tricks would be appreciated

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by briber View Post
    heres my questions / comments: D
    do all cells have the same resistance?
    Do all cells charge in about the time(or does one seem to lag behind)?
    does the pack have above normal temps after run?
    is the casing actually split/separated/torn?
    Does pack have above normal temps when charging?
    If not then id keep using as normal with no hesitation.
    If yes to any then simply inquire (depending on age) if trx has any options as far as replacement or prorated discount or something of the nature. If not try to find out cause and keep us posted.

I need just one more rc, then im done,
    what tem should you be at?