RC Competitor

Bulkhead gaps letting in dirt causing early diff failiure

This may of been talked about before but why is the mervs bulkhead made so badly that theres gaps in it that let dirt in? Won't take much to get in and grind the diff down. I have sealed mine with silicone but you shouldn't have to do that it should seal out dirt???

Just seems a very poor design unless its done on purpose so everyone keeps destroying diffs amd buying more.... lol

RC Competitor
    It is mainly the gap under rear skid plate Im talking about which has needed silicone sealant to seal it up.

RC Competitor
    I hear ya, but I can't answer that question. Traxxas needs to respond.

I purchased Hot Racing's front and rear aluminum bulkheads for my son's merv. About to install the front one this weekend. The new rear bulkhead has worked marvelously over the last couple months. My son will love having a 4x4 again, because I had removed the front drive shaft until I could replace the bulkhead.
    I am pit crew for my son's 1/16 E-Revo VXL

RC Competitor
    Yeah was thinking about the alu ones but want to keep the weight down if I can.

RC poster
    I just replaced my rear bulkhead along with the chassis since both broke. I too noticed the gap in the middle of the bottom of the new bulkhead. Is this normal, or should it seal up tight when assembled?

Also, the body mount hole that mates with the top of the chassis doesn’t quite line up. Anybody else have that issue?

Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ben7896 View Post
    This may of been talked about before but why is the mervs bulkhead made so badly that theres gaps in it that let dirt in? Won't take much to get in and grind the diff down. I have sealed mine with silicone but you shouldn't have to do that it should seal out dirt???

Just seems a very poor design unless its done on purpose so everyone keeps destroying diffs amd buying more.... lol
    do you mean with new ones too? I have no problems with mine so far but it is only 6 months old so...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ben7896 View Post
    Yeah was thinking about the alu ones but want to keep the weight down if I can.
    I've been reading the Merv forum for several days, going back and reading old posts looking for discussions to give me an idea as to what I should expect and people's attitudes about upgrades. Weight is a concern for some people, and is brought up when discussing upgrades involving aluminum.

I have an Integy front and HR rear bulkhead installed now -- couldn't find an HR front at the time.

I was thinking about the weight thing and how I hadn't seen the actual specific difference between the stock unit and any of the various aluminum units available. I'm guessing that the stock bulkheads are made from ABS, although I don't really know. I base that on ABS properties such as its toughness and also it being widely used its cost will be reasonably low.

weights

ABS 1.03 g/cc

Aluminum 2.7 g/cc

Aluminum is about 2.7 times the weight of ABS.

Something else that comes into question is how the parts themselves are designed. The design itself establishes overall weight through techniques used to reduce the overall weight of the part. The aluminum bulkheads are still installed and won't be coming off any time soon, but I studied the front bulkhead very well when I was looking for a place to add a screw to the front of it. I believe the manufacturers of these parts did a good job of reducing the amount of material involved. The stock plastic parts have methods used to reduce the volume of plastic in areas where it isn't necessary. Likewise the aluminum parts are machined in a way that what is required for strength is retained, and there isn't what I would consider zero gain material left.

I purchased a scale and will weigh these parts when I have the opportunity. I'm inclined to think that the aluminum parts will probably end up 2.5x to 3x the weight of the stock parts.