RC Enthusiast

Rusty vxl/tsm 80+MPH Speed Quest

Rock N' Roll Rusty VXL/TSM.
    JConcepts Chevy 1500 Body, no rear Spoiler.
    Flipped front Bumper, stock Shocks.
    Traxxas Kuhmo Road Venture M/T "S1 Tires".
    1st pass 3S 2'200-MAH 25C 25/83=55MPH.
    2nd pass 3S 5'300-MAH 50C 25/83=60MPH.
    1st pass 3S 5'300-MAH 50C 31/76=68MPH, at 90% throttle.
    2nd pass 3S 5'300-MAH 50C 31/76=72MPH, at 95% throttle.
    3rd pass 3S 5'300-MAH 50C 31/76=75MPH, at 100% throttle, I only touted full throttle for a brief second on this 3rd pass, without charging the LiPo!!!
    I am running the 70 & beyond gearing recommend by the speed chart on the Rustler vxl box.
    Test #4 3S 5'300-MAH 50C on the S1 Kumho m/t tires, geared 39/76. And if the S1 soft compound tires will hold to the wheels, I'm seriously looking for 80+MPH.
    I might swap the new front tires to the rear, just too be safe. Since they have not been on the rear yet. I might not get full throttle running this much gear! I just tested the rear tires running this new pinion unloaded. And WOW its gonna be very interesting!!! Here's how it started...
    https://youtu.be/NPoe-BJlmrE

Here on the Forum it exist some useful informations that explains how to go fast on safety and to avoid scrapping everything in the first run. When we pass the 80 mph mark, things change and we have to set up accordingly.

This is the speed run Bible...! https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Speed-Runs#top
    Good driver...Bad setup...Bad things will happen

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MECHANIC77 View Post
    Here on the Forum it exist some useful informations that explains how to go fast on safety and to avoid scrapping everything in the first run. When we pass the 80 mph mark, things change and we have to set up accordingly.

This is the speed run Bible...! https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Speed-Runs#top
    Thank you for the information! I'm going to be running 80+MPH safely, and will post it here when I get a few records of it.

Wow Mr Mechanic77! You just brought back some memories that I totally forgot about. Unbelievable how far things have come from where that thread ended. I just realized that Grip made the last comment. I don't like the fact that I did not reply to his comment. Something important must have come about.

I know I was full of questions back then and sure enough got some good answers. It's awesome how everyone helps out around here. Thanks for that. I truly have my rusty set up for some serious speed now but am still a bit skeptic about starting. Maybe when I start losing interest I may start the speed runs. I did buy the p4de to run while I was preparing the rusty. Well it has not even seen daylight yet from upgrading that. It's just so gratifying to work on them, to make better. Thanks again sir! Maybe after I retire from my job, I will get a job somewhere repairing them just to see the smile on peoples faces when i fix them. Who knows, only time will tell.

Thank you for the information! I'm going to be running 80+MPH safely, and will post it here when I get a few records of it.
    Good luck Buck with the speed runs. I think you are doing it the right way. Seeing what you can get out of mostly stock parts. I would've probably had more interest if I had done it that way. Once I started the upgrades, there was no turning back for me. Then I sit here and think of the money I have invested and I back off. Who knows maybe I won't even start, but it was a true adventure heading in that direction. Now I almost have my p4de done and have to put my rusty back together after cracking my chassis in half. I can't believe how much I enjoy working on these...I have been mechanically inclined since I was a kid and my enjoyment from that will never cease. Have fun my fellow rcer's and Looking forward to some vid's Buck......
    Last edited by lektro; 04-24-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Wow Mr Mechanic77! You just brought back some memories that I totally forgot about. Unbelievable how far things have come from where that thread ended. I just realized that Grip made the last comment. I don't like the fact that I did not reply to his comment. Something important must have come about.

I know I was full of questions back then and sure enough got some good answers. It's awesome how everyone helps out around here. Thanks for that. I truly have my rusty set up for some serious speed now but am still a bit skeptic about starting. Maybe when I start losing interest I may start the speed runs. I did buy the p4de to run while I was preparing the rusty. Well it has not even seen daylight yet from upgrading that. It's just so gratifying to work on them, to make better. Thanks again sir! Maybe after I retire from my job, I will get a job somewhere repairing them just to see the smile on peoples faces when i fix them. Who knows, only time will tell.

Good luck Buck with the speed runs. I think you are doing it the right way. Seeing what you can get out of mostly stock parts. I would've probably had more interest if I had done it that way. Once I started the upgrades, there was no turning back for me. Then I sit here and think of the money I have invested and I back off. Who knows maybe I won't even start, but it was a true adventure heading in that direction. Now I almost have my p4de done and have to put my rusty back together after cracking my chassis in half. I can't believe how much I enjoy working on these...I have been mechanically inclined since I was a kid and my enjoyment from that will never cease. Have fun my fellow rcer's and Looking forward to some vid's Buck......
    Lektro, thank you for sharing this with us!!! I have that exact same feeling when it comes to twisting wrenches on R/C Cars!!!!! I love twisting wrenches as much as I love driving them it's a 50/50 split for me!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    To me, speed runs are extremely exciting!!! It makes me feel a little weak in the knees!!! I really don't want to spend big money for the ULTIMATE SPEED #'S!!! But I so love the Velineon VXL System. Because it's totally insane for a rtr system!!! I've been playing rc cars since 1976,with my dad. And will take this Hobby to my grave!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I'll be back!!! ♡

Quote Originally Posted by BUCK71 View Post
    To me, speed runs are extremely exciting!!! It makes me feel a little weak in the knees!!! I really don't want to spend big money for the ULTIMATE SPEED #'S!!! But I so love the Velineon VXL System. Because it's totally insane for a rtr system!!! I've been playing rc cars since 1976,with my dad. And will take this Hobby to my grave!!!
    My biggest problem really is not having the roads for speed runs. Haha! yall believe that? Found a huge grass field with a base ball diamond. 3 minutes from where I live. Old elementary school turned into a police training facility now. Place is a ghost town sat and sun... Yow! Hampton If you read this. Take heed..

This is what I have to look forward to this weekend. Yeppers! Sure going to be enjoying this......

Last edited by lektro; 04-24-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Epic!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I drive 4 miles away from my house, there's a decent road out in the boonies Around a mile long and a scarce amount of traffic. Most of the time... It's fairly slippery though, and I have a road to the west of said road with epic traction. But I have to pick the right times to run, because it get pretty busy around school and work times. I just got confirmation that my new soldering station has been shipped. So I will be ready to run parallel, here fairly soon. I'm going to test my Gens Ace 3S 2'200-MAH 45C batteries first, and depending upon the numbers I get. I will buy the 60C versions if necessary! I might lower the shocks, but that makes it really easy to drive fast. And I love a serious challenge!!!

RC Enthusiast
    The first video I posted on YouTube, was of my Rusty plowing into the left front tire of, my 3/4 ton Suburban. About 20" up on the tire. At 83MPH... And I still have the picture of said carnage!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post

Hi, Mr Lektro..! I just brought back some memories on a thread that we had some good exchanges and great experiences sharing. Anyhow things are what they are and the great memories exist only in my mind now. However when we want to modified a RC, generaly we have to make some technical considerations and compromises, but the real question is and the expected goals are... how is it possible to go fast with the least accomplished sacrifices and like you I think it's gratifying to work on them, to make it better.

Although occasionally with engineering compromises its possible to have the cheese cake and the strawberries too...
    Good driver...Bad setup...Bad things will happen

Quote Originally Posted by BUCK71 View Post
    I drive 4 miles away from my house, there's a decent road out in the boonies Around a mile long and a scarce amount of traffic. Most of the time... It's fairly slippery though, and I have a road to the west of said road with epic traction. But I have to pick the right times to run, because it get pretty busy around school and work times. I just got confirmation that my new soldering station has been shipped. So I will be ready to run parallel, here fairly soon. I'm going to test my Gens Ace 3S 2'200-MAH 45C batteries first, and depending upon the numbers I get. I will buy the 60C versions if necessary! I might lower the shocks, but that makes it really easy to drive fast. And I love a serious challenge!!!
    Nice! I am sure I could find some good roads if I traveled out enough... I was stoked when I got my first nice soldering iron. First thing I did was make parallel and series connectors. That was fun, although i stuck a screwdriver through my thumb from one side to the other, trying to push a Traxxas lead into the housing.... Ouch for about 20 minutes. Then I bought a bunch of xt90s and made all kinds of adapters for my T batteries for a non T charger. Was a good experience and great practice from being so easy. Still looking forward to some vids or pics!

Got a head start on my rebuild! I am really liking this black and silver. Think I will get me a clear body and paint it flat black...

The first video I posted on YouTube, was of my Rusty plowing into the left front tire of, my 3/4 ton Suburban. About 20" up on the tire. At 83MPH... And I still have the picture of said carnage!!!!!
    Buck! You should post a pic of that carnage. Nothing to be ashamed of for sure....

Hi, Mr Lektro..! I just brought back some memories on a thread that we had some good exchanges and great experiences sharing. Anyhow things are what they are and the great memories exist only in my mind now. However when we want to modified a RC, generaly we have to make some technical considerations and compromises, but the real question is and the expected goals are... how is it possible to go fast with the least accomplished sacrifices and like you I think it's gratifying to work on them, to make it better.
    Yeah Mr Mechanic! That's pretty cool that we all get on here and exchange info on our own experience's, on how we do things, and of course the way others do there thing. That has helped me immensely. I honestly don't see my builds, ever ending..... I like it that way!
    Last edited by lektro; 04-27-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    Good luck on your quest. I went for 100mph and only got to 72 before giving up due to the amount of I had to drop in. I was running mm2 on 6s with x01 tires and was holding 72 till a mailbox came out of nowhere. Ripped the front end apart pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy18 View Post
    Good luck on your quest. I went for 100mph and only got to 72 before giving up due to the amount of I had to drop in. I was running mm2 on 6s with x01 tires and was holding 72 till a mailbox came out of nowhere. Ripped the front end apart pretty well.
    Yeah, a tire sitting in the middle of a field got mine. After further investigation. I found both my caster blocks are all twisted along with the screw pin. Had to take a hacksaw and cut them in half to get my steering blocks off...Putting the stock blocks in, temporarily till the new one's come. Or maybe I will just wait on them...I hate to see my rusty in pieces though
    Choose Life !!!

RC Racer
    I'm also curious what top speed I can get my Bandit VXL to so it will be interesting watching your speed progress. Thanks for sharing.