RC poster

Turning off the VXL-6S

Hey all,

Absolutely loving my new UDR!! Truck runs great, but when I try to turn off the ESC by pressing down the button, the red lights cycle, and it powers back on. Every once in a while, it'll stay off, but maybe only 1 out of 10 times I try to power down. I end up having to unplug the battery (4S). Happens even when I'm not even close to LVC, so that can't be the issue.

I did replace the TQi radio with my Futaba 4PV and a 203GF receiver, but I can't imagine that would have any impact on the esc functionality.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Traxxas Employee
    The button is an "On" button, but not an "Off" button. To turn it off, you just unplug it. If you hold the button too long, it will enter programming mode.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    You should be able to turn off the truck with the "On" Button.

Only time i cant turn the truck off is if its overheated or in LVD.

You should be able to turn it off. Only need to push and hold for maybe 1 second.

I ran into a problem with my vxl-8s - i got dirt and rocks inside the esc behind the power button. when i would plug a battery in, it would turn on and go into programining mode. blowing out the esc with air fixed my issue.

(button did not make a clicking noise to indicate it was working, till i cleaned it)

does your button "click" ok?
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fourdub View Post
    You should be able to turn off the truck with the "On" Button.

Only time i cant turn the truck off is if its overheated or in LVD.

You should be able to turn it off. Only need to push and hold for maybe 1 second.

I ran into a problem with my vxl-8s - i got dirt and rocks inside the esc behind the power button. when i would plug a battery in, it would turn on and go into programining mode. blowing out the esc with air fixed my issue.

(button did not make a clicking noise to indicate it was working, till i cleaned it)

does your button "click" ok?
    Yep, the truck is basically brand new.

So far the only way it turns off is if I hold the button down and count "one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three" and leg go. Then it shuts off about 50% of the time. I've only run one pack thru the truck, and didn't get close to LVC or thermal.

Very strange...

RC poster
    According to the manual...

4. The on/off switch is integrated into the speed control. With the
    transmitter on, press and release the EZ-Set button (.25 seconds).
    The LED will shine GREEN. This turns the model on. To turn the
    VXL-6s off, press and hold the EZ-Set button until the LED turns
    off (.5 seconds).

Holding the button until the light turns off doesn't work on mine...

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    I would call traxxas and explain the situation to them.

It should turn off right away.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC poster
    Probably a good idea. Thanks!

RC poster
    Did you ever get this sorted out? I have the exact same issue on a brand new E-Revo..

RC Qualifier
    The problem with turning any RC off with
    lipo batteries using the switch is ;
    It can be overlooked- left plugged in-
    -for weeks-
    Killing the lipo’s

Just unplug
    fabricator

RC Qualifier
    I’m surprised more people didn’t have this issue... I had it happen a lot on my e revo’s vxl 6s. Turning it off would do the rwd lights, power off, then rwd lights again, and back on. And yeah, about once every few times it’d turn off. But that esc did nuke itself later on, however I’m pretty sure those have no correlation.

RC poster
    It should be able to turn off by the ez set button, it says so in manual, Traxxas will say it’s an ON only button, if they admitted it was not functioning correct, they would have to replace all of them, which is huge money for them, so it’s easier to lie and say it’s supposed to be like that, but the manual proves them wrong.

RC Champion
    Anyone ever get this figured out? My brand new E Revo 2.0 does the same thing listed above...so frustrating.
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC poster
    Mine used to do this and one day the button started shutting it off like the other two UDR's I run with. I didn't mind unplugging to shut down so I never complained. Seems to work as engineered since.

RC poster
    digging up an old thread, recently bought an E Revo 2, straight out if the box it would not turn off then 1 on 10 would, i diconnetced the wire to the receiver and EZ unit and it tunred off everytime.

I phoned traxxas in the UK, and they said it was a new design feature to stop you killing your lipo battery. I think this is BS as I have a new Rustler 4x4 and it turns off every time. I was more worried about it being a fault and causing a warrantly claim that was past my 12 month time, but assured 'its suposed to be like that'

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BangoBango View Post
    digging up an old thread, recently bought an E Revo 2, straight out if the box it would not turn off then 1 on 10 would, i diconnetced the wire to the receiver and EZ unit and it tunred off everytime.

I phoned traxxas in the UK, and they said it was a new design feature to stop you killing your lipo battery. I think this is BS as I have a new Rustler 4x4 and it turns off every time. I was more worried about it being a fault and causing a warrantly claim that was past my 12 month time, but assured 'its suposed to be like that'
    Ive figured it out. you have to update you rc with the bluetooth controller and traxxas app. I added the GPS unit and the bluetooth attachmet and there was a firmware update to all 3. Now the unit turns off every time