Thread: Shock limiters

RC Racer

Shock limiters

Is it wise to use silicon fuel line inside shocks to limit shock extension. Was thinking of putting a length of tubing underneath the shock piston to soften the full extension of travel. Not sure if the tubing would disintegrate setting in the shock fluid for any length of time. Was thinking of this idea instead of using shock straps... just a thought,,,,,any ideas about it ..... thanks guys....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tazzzz View Post
    Is it wise to use silicon fuel line inside shocks to limit shock extension. Was thinking of putting a length of tubing underneath the shock piston to soften the full extension of travel. Not sure if the tubing would disintegrate setting in the shock fluid for any length of time. Was thinking of this idea instead of using shock straps... just a thought,,,,,any ideas about it ..... thanks guys....
    straps might be easier, you don't have to disassemble the shock to adjust/inspect.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrossmxz View Post
    straps might be easier, you don't have to disassemble the shock to adjust/inspect.
    For a truck of this size, it would probably be better to just use a plastic spacer that has the inside diameter of the outside diameter of the shock shaft. That is what I did. I took a spare shock shaft to local hardware store, and got an assortment of plastic bushings. I wound up using 10 mm of spacers for my setup. I would say between 8 and 12 mm is a good starting point. On a side note, lowering my truck about 1" has made it very stable, more responsive and predictable over a wide range of surfaces. But I had to stiffen up the rear springs and oil, and slightly stiffen the front springs and oil, and swap the ft and rear factory diff's to get it all to work together.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    To understand,,, did you put the spacer underneath the shock piston (inside the shock) or externally on the shaft itself...I’m wondering if it feasible to put the spacer inside to limit full extension of shock. You didn’t mention where you placed the spacer. I’m talking about internal spacing. Thanks

Internally would lower it as the downward travel of the shock shaft would be shortened. If it was on the outside then the upward/compressed travel would be shortened.
    Many T-Maxx owners have put fuel tubing around the shock shaft inside the housing.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Thanks,,, I appreciated it. TAzzzz