Thread: Motor heatsink

RC Competitor

Motor heatsink

Can anyone recommend a heatsink/fan for the 2.0 erevo please? or even just an additional heatsink

RC Competitor
    Heat sink to clip onto the motor that is..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Morning Ben,

I run a Yeah Racing fan and heatsink on my Outcast and the motor on the Revo looks to be the same diameter, so i ordered another one of these.

Rather spookily i collected this from the post office this morning. I will let you know how i get on fitting it tonight.

Phil.

RC Competitor
    There isn't much room around the motor and to fit the heat sink, i have had to leave the receiver box seal clamp off.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OU...=w1180-h885-no

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fFjDwvqRW4odiNzt1

I have run the fan cables to a Y harness and put that to channel 4 of the receiver.
    Last edited by Necroscope; 05-03-2018 at 05:13 AM.

RC Competitor
    [/url]

[/url]

Hopefully these work.
    Last edited by Necroscope; 05-03-2018 at 06:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    There is one major drawback on thoose yeah racing fans, there is nothing to protect them against stones and dirt.
    Slash 4x4 / Erbe / Custum Erbe / Bandit VXL

RC Competitor
    True.

I've fitted a dusty cover.

RC poster
    I purchased Dynamite and it COOLS the motor perfectly. See photos
    Last edited by Bluefranky222; 06-15-2018 at 04:19 PM.

RC poster
    How do you post a picture?? I added to google drive and shared link

RC Qualifier
    Revisiting an old thread - but Im looking for a heatsink and fan combo. What do you use??
    https://www.youtube.com/user/iftibashir

RC Champion
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/yeah-ra...0261bk/p491090

Im using the above with the upgraded aluminum fan housings. No issues at all with mine and keep temps down.
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

The r1 wurks fans from what I hear move more air than any fan on the market. I also have heard that the yeah racing aluminum housed fans are pretty legit too. Not sure about the heat sinks. Here are the fans.
    https://r1wurks.com/collections/cooling-fans
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Yeah-Racing-A...6bu/4029738772

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Let me say Yeah Racing heatsink plus tornado fans is by far the best option. It brought my motor temps down from 220 F to 180 F. This is two 6s runs back to back mostly wide open throttle in grass. The plastic shrouded fans like Dynamite and Castle do almost nothing for motor temps. You need the metal heatsink to absorb and transfer some heat coupled with the tornado fans. It's the only real solution I found.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    Let me say Yeah Racing heatsink plus tornado fans is by far the best option. It brought my motor temps down from 220 F to 180 F. This is two 6s runs back to back mostly wide open throttle in grass. The plastic shrouded fans like Dynamite and Castle do almost nothing for motor temps. You need the metal heatsink to absorb and transfer some heat coupled with the tornado fans. It's the only real solution I found.
    Not trying to be nitpicky, but that R1 Wurks fan puts out twice as much air.
    Yeah racing tornado fan- 4.8g
    R1 Wurks- 10g
    Wild turbo windy fan 8+g

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    Not trying to be nitpicky, but that R1 Wurks fan puts out twice as much air.
    Yeah racing tornado fan- 4.8g
    R1 Wurks- 10g
    Wild turbo windy fan 8+g

The only R1 Wurks fan that has the flow listed ( 10g & 8.4v) is the 30mmx15mm. Don't see anything listed for any of their other fans, wonder if they are close?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I have the R1 30mm fans, slimline and these two bad boys

Original plan was to use these shrouds as they blow so much air in this set up (stepped back from the motor) but it would require a lot of fab work to get a bracket on the receiver box or by it and then I had to make it all easily removable due to the fact ad you know the Rx box has to come out to get the motor out.

However once tested its clear they move so much air I can resort to the good old well used YR dial fan mount with stand offs.

Shrouds have gone back into parts bin.

I also have the slimline version which are great as well.

RC Qualifier
    I had considered this solution already - didn't know of the R1's before!
    Maybe the ideal solution is the YR heatsink with the R1 fans?!

Either way, will I need any extra hardware to connect the fans up?
    ie any Y-Splitter cables etc?

Does the heatsink fit without having to leave the receive cable clamp removed?
    Last edited by IftiBashir; 07-21-2019 at 06:38 AM.

RC poster
    Lots of people shared their experience with fans and heatsinks, but does anyone successfully use the fan + heatsink + shroud/dust cover? Looks like SC11 ditched the dust cover in favor of cool air. Anyone else?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaCoolCat View Post
    Lots of people shared their experience with fans and heatsinks, but does anyone successfully use the fan + heatsink + shroud/dust cover? Looks like SC11 ditched the dust cover in favor of cool air. Anyone else?
    No I still use the dust cover (just not ideal left in place for pictures)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
    Which wheels are these?

RC Champion
    Those are Sweep Racing Terrain Crushers.
    ABMods 3.3 Revo PE
    Jato 3.3
    Futaba 3PM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    Those are Sweep Racing Terrain Crushers.
    Thanks! May take a look!

Anyone recommend a heatsink alone, without fans?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by atoms View Post
    Anyone recommend a heatsink alone, without fans?
    I ran hard once with YR heatsink attached but fans not rotating. My motor temp still got up to 210 F. Now not having fans attached might have allowed slightly more airflow, but my conclusion was heatsink alone is not safe.

Also one single fan appears to give 90% of the benefit of two. I've had just one tornado fan plus heatsink for many weeks now and my motor temp still never gets over 180 F. I think it's like going from one to two subwoofers. It's very incremental benefit.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post

YR heatsink is slightly tight fit, but everything works. No need to remove anything. For the dual tornado fans you don't need any extra hardware. I like to run both wires in the top receiver box port, and stuff rubber plug around them. It's water tight enough I think.

RC poster

YR heatsink is slightly tight fit, but everything works. No need to remove anything. For the dual tornado fans you don't need any extra hardware. I like to run both wires in the top receiver box port, and stuff rubber plug around them. It's water tight enough I think.

RC Racer
    I run the YR fan mount and R1 fans, the heat sink did need trimming to clear the motor wire terminals.

I ran a Y lead off the Rx our via the normal location and cable tied it to the side (you can just about make out in the pic below.

Will be spacing the fans off but just waiting on some extra 10mm spacers

Y connector here so itís easy to change out or remove fans

Trimmed fan mount here

And fitting like I have the Rx box etc did not need to be modified in any way, right fit yes but not issues.

RC Enthusiast
    I recently added the YR duel fans to mine and so far so good !

Pretty snug around the motor, but everything works great. Just tighten them down in a star pattern like you would a car wheel so they suck up nice.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by micbegls1 View Post
    I recently added the YR duel fans to mine and so far so good !

Pretty snug around the motor, but everything works great. Just tighten them down in a star pattern like you would a car wheel so they suck up nice.
    The YR manual states that the washers can be installed between the heatsink and fans for better air-flow. I would have though having the fans closer to the heatsink would be a better solution to push that warm air away though??
    Last edited by IftiBashir; 07-24-2019 at 01:32 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
    I run the YR fan mount and R1 fans, the heat sink did need trimming to clear the motor wire terminals.

I ran a Y lead off the Rx our via the normal location and cable tied it to the side (you can just about make out in the pic below.

Will be spacing the fans off but just waiting on some extra 10mm spacers

Y connector here so it’s easy to change out or remove fans

Trimmed fan mount here

And fitting like I have the Rx box etc did not need to be modified in any way, right fit yes but not issues.
    Looking nice!

Did you have to trim the heatsink due to your particular motor?
    Im assuming stock would not need any trimming?

RC poster
    Looking nice!

Correct, stock motor needs no trimming.

RC Racer
    Looking nice!

You can mount the fan closer to the motor mount and it gives a little more clearance but ideally you want it on the main body of the motor, the opposite side of heatsink is a smooth curve which would give the clearance but I’m not sure the motor could be mounted in such an orientation that the wires or the opposite side to the fans?!

Correct, stock motor needs no trimming.
    Yes correct the stock motor wires come out vertically at a 90 degree angle to the can so straight forward fit.

To be fair it’s only aluminium so cutting the little square out it easy, plus the fan fixings are offset one side so you have plenty of room to cut out a section without effecting the screw mounts.

So lemme just throw this electric newbie question out there: Why would I need to put extra heatsinks and fans on my stock Revo 2.0? I'm running 6s. Isn't it designed to handle that out of the box?
    If it's not breaking, you're not doing it right.

RC poster
    So lemme just throw this electric newbie question out there: Why would I need to put extra heatsinks and fans on my stock Revo 2.0? I'm running 6s. Isn't it designed to handle that out of the box?
    Got mine torching hot on 4s...so no if you run hard you will get it very hot. I geared mine down 13t which helped a little.

RC Qualifier
    Most probably, but extra cooling cant hurt at all and will help prolong the life of the motor......

RC poster
    To keep the price down at $550, there are several compromises in EREVO 2 that will break on 6s. It will run fine on 4s. Things that need fixing on 6s fairly quickly: 1) motor heatsink/fan. Without, if you run two sets of batteries back to back hard, your motor temp will be over 220F, and it WILL fail. 2) Tires. If you run hard, you will shred the stock Talon EXTs within 10 runs. Upgrade to Proline Trenchers. 3) Rear chassis brace can't handle extreme air. Upgrade to aluminum. 4) Pivot balls and rod ends will pull out eventually. Use medium CA glue when you replace to prevent from happening again. 5) Stock servos always die fairly quickly.