RC poster

new rustler vxl user

so i grabbed a new tqi rustler vxl power system with 3s lipo. however the new traxxas lipo would not fit. so i settled for a different lipo. and upgrades that are mandatory or any advice from experinced people on what my next step would be? i broke a front tie rod half way in my first run.

Aluminum castors to prevent the pins from bending and rpm rear carriers as the stock ones are very flimsy. What kind of surface do you drive on? Get tires well suited for the terrain you will be mostly on. Everything else Id wait to upgrade until it breaks. Which traxxas battery do you have? Only a traxxas 4000 mah battery will fit the rustler. The 5000 mah does not.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think a hinge pin set is mandatory. STRC makes a good one. Aluminum shock caps will also be a must. The plastic caps just pop off. And yes tires, for a mild setup I like Jconcepts Glocs for the road, for all around, look at Proline Trencher SCís

RC poster
    I'd get an RPM front bumper right away...that will reduce some damage to your front end.

Quote Originally Posted by cfink828 View Post
    I'd get an RPM front bumper right away...that will reduce some damage to your front end.
    +1, it has saved me tonnes of times.
    Driveshafts are another good upgrade, especially if you strictly run on 3s
    I ask way to many questions

RC poster
    im heading back to the shop today i will definately pick up some of these parts. i run in grass mostly on 3s stock gearing

RC poster
    3s and grass are hard on the electronics. Even with stock gearing, you'll want to really watch temps. Unfortunately, you don't get much warning before stuff fails due to heat, so stop after a few minutes and at least put your hand on the motor...if you're surprised at how hot it is, or can't count to five with your hand on it, it's probably too hot. Esc is harder to monitor and judge, so an infrared temp sensor is a good investment.

Congrats on the rustler!

How much money will you spend on these "mandatory" upgrades?

If you aren't jumping much I'd say the hinge pin set, and an esc fan, temp "gun"

If you are jumping then all of the above along with aluminum casters, al shock caps.

I like all the advise these cats have given, right on the money.

These cars scoot on 3s. Stay away from the following obstacles: car tires/wheels, trees, innocent bystanders...go ahead and run into your mother-in-law.

Good luck, make sure you have a clear getaway plan if you run into your MIL.
    MTFBWY

RC poster
    update. i broke a caster block and a driveshaft. so i replaced the front bumper and caster blocks with rpm and replaced stock driveshaft.

My stock driveshafts have held up just fine on 3s but the slash/stampede rear 4x4 shafts are a little thicker (6852x). Im switching to these if mine ever break.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx user View Post
    update. i broke a caster block and a driveshaft. so i replaced the front bumper and caster blocks with rpm and replaced stock driveshaft.
    You may find that the rpm caster blocks will be stronger, but it will be more flexible, which means that you will bend a few kingpins.
    I would suggest upgrading to aluminum in the future, when the rpm ones somehow break

-Amistry20
    I ask way to many questions

RC poster
    thanks to everyone for the tips and advice. i still cant believe how destructive these 3s lipo's are. i havnt even got through a entire battery yet or had this thing full throttle yet.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx user View Post
    thanks to everyone for the tips and advice. i still cant believe how destructive these 3s lipo's are. i havnt even got through a entire battery yet or had this thing full throttle yet.
    I would suggest turning down the punch control a little bit if you're able to program your Esc and loosen up the slipper clutch a fuzz. Wheelies are fun, but all that juice jamming so hard into the drivetrain is really hard on parts. The other thing that keeps me from doing a ton of damage when bashing on the street is to use worn tires. You want to be able to maintain control, but being able to spin the tires can act as a buffer to keep the drivetrain less stressed.

RC Qualifier
    I'd recommend getting a 2s lipo. 3s is really crazy and definitely not for sustained bashing with stock electronics (especially during summer temperatures if you're not someplace cold). Bash all you want on 2s and it's still more than fast enough.