Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    41

    Battery tray mod or battery relocation mod

    Trying to decide which of the two to do here.

    1: sand the walls of the battery tray to accommodate proper sized 3s batteries.

    2:. Relocate the batteries up top with a custom made battery tray.

    Mod one could or would wearing the structural integrity of the chassis to achieve proper clearance for a real size lipo.

    Mod two would more than likely require me removing the fake rear fans to allow easy access without taking off the whole body every battery swap out. Downside would be a higher center of gravity although not so sure it would matter much for these trucks due to their stance.

    Traxxas failed again with their battery tray size... Hope an employee reads this and takes that comment to heart and understands it's constructive criticism. (Make bigger trays !)

  2. #2
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper1 View Post
    Trying to decide which of the two to do here.

    1: sand the walls of the battery tray to accommodate proper sized 3s batteries.

    2:. Relocate the batteries up top with a custom made battery tray.

    Mod one could or would wearing the structural integrity of the chassis to achieve proper clearance for a real size lipo.

    Mod two would more than likely require me removing the fake rear fans to allow easy access without taking off the whole body every battery swap out. Downside would be a higher center of gravity although not so sure it would matter much for these trucks due to their stance.

    Traxxas failed again with their battery tray size... Hope an employee reads this and takes that comment to heart and understands it's constructive criticism. (Make bigger trays !)
    I have fit many different batteries in my UDR... seems to be a pretty standard fit... what batteries are you trying to fit?? This will fit 2x 2s ~5200mah hardcase, 2x 3s 4500mah hardcase,2x 3s ~5200mah 50c softcase

    https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=480

    https://www.commonsenserc.com/produc...i6dnbu22mre4q1

    https://www.venompower.com/collectio...al-plug-system

    These are all batteries that will fit the UDR and fit under a pretty standard size.

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    41
    One SMC 4s 5400 battery puts some serious pressure trying to squeeze it in there

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    41
    And then for the 3s Batts , turn igy nanos 5000 mAh soft case packs
    Last edited by trapper1; 05-05-2018 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Why x out brand names

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    41
    Sanding the inside of the battery tray. So far the power hobby 4s Batts fit a heck of a lot better. Just need another mm or two for the SMC 4s Batts to fit. Once they SMC Batts fit the two 3s turn igynano bats should fit from hobby king.
    May still look into fabricating a battery tray with latch/straps

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    74
    Dump all that fake scale crap anyways. You’ll want the CG as low as possible. I’m running 2 SMC 3s 5400 softies with no mods.

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    41
    Yeah the scale crap isn't appealing at all for me. Just gets in the way when taking things off.

    Almost done sanding the tray down and the power hobby 4s fits nice and smooth but still more plastic to sand off.
    Wish they would have made the tray 5mm wider that would have made a world of difference.

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper1 View Post
    One SMC 4s 5400 battery puts some serious pressure trying to squeeze it in there
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoSauce View Post
    Dump all that fake scale crap anyways. You’ll want the CG as low as possible. I’m running 2 SMC 3s 5400 softies with no mods.
    I run the SMC hardpacks and i experienced the same SUPER tight fit you experienced, but IMO I kind of like knowing the batteries aren't bouncing around in there LOL. What did you use to remove the material?

  9. #9
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    41
    Used my dremmel with wand attachment and a flapper wheel to get everything but the edges and used the file that came in my kobalt mini RC toolkit << (good buy on Lowe's website) to take down the edges. I still may take it down a little more but the batteries fit now with a slight snugness rather than feeling like they are going to break the chassis by shoving them in.

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,046
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper1 View Post
    Traxxas failed again with their battery tray size... Hope an employee reads this and takes that comment to heart and understands it's constructive criticism. (Make bigger trays !)
    Traxxas isn't the only ones trying to make RC vehicles that use only proprietary parts, but what really makes the UDR difficult to modify properly is their upside down chassis design. It's very innovative, but also very restrictive. That's why I'm looking at other things. I want to be able to (at least) use what batteries I want without to much trouble.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    84

    Battery tray mod or battery relocation mod

    Iím running 2 2s 7600 mah Lectron hard cases in my stock tray


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dustin Bumps; 05-14-2018 at 03:00 PM.

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    88

    What batteries fit....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Bumps View Post
    Iím running 2 2s 7600 mah Lectron hard cases in my stock tray


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I tried an SMC pack....and it was a really right fit. I also run 2 2s 5500 protek lipos that fit fine. Do I need to buy a Traxxas 6700 lipo and their charger......

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    833
    No 6700 4s needed - any brand charger
    Run 3s if you want
    Higher C rating the better
    fabricator

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Vegas
    Posts
    244
    Im running SMC 6s 90c 7200mAh in my tray perfectly fine.

    Have 2 of them, they fit perfectly, just slightly snug when i try to pull a battery out

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    88
    Traxxas has their new ID batteries.....no one sells adapters for them. Taking UDR to the hobby shop to see what will fit.

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    84
    Hobby shop should have adapters to fit any battery to a traxxas plug. The Lectronís come in different connectors, traxxas is one of them. They are old style traxxas, but still work in UDR. I donít have any Traxxas batts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    10
    I'm currently running 2 Venom 3s 500omah soft case packs in my UDR. They fit in the actual tray but I had to shave about half the thickness off of the locking door to get it to close properly. Haven't had any issues with this yet.

  18. #18
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,368
    Quote Originally Posted by xOperator View Post
    Im running SMC 6s 90c 7200mAh in my tray perfectly fine.

    Have 2 of them, they fit perfectly, just slightly snug when i try to pull a battery out
    They may be fine now, but over time, they will probably puff up a bit like my SMC 9000mah 2S packs did. Then they deform the battery tray in my ERBEv1. So, if they are snug getting them out now, they will probably get worse as time goes on. I'm switching over to the smaller/lighter 7400mah 2S packs anyway to shave some weight off since the revo lands so so hard.

    The 9k's didn't puff badly, just a mm or two, but they were a snug perfect fit when brand new.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  19. #19
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    88

    batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    They may be fine now, but over time, they will probably puff up a bit like my SMC 9000mah 2S packs did. Then they deform the battery tray in my ERBEv1. So, if they are snug getting them out now, they will probably get worse as time goes on. I'm switching over to the smaller/lighter 7400mah 2S packs anyway to shave some weight off since the revo lands so so hard.

    The 9k's didn't puff badly, just a mm or two, but they were a snug perfect fit when brand new.
    I'm gonna try SMCs 7400 4s pack....they say it's made to fit the UDR and XMAXX. Wait and see...
    Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 06-19-2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •