RC poster

3s batteries for E-Revo

What 3s batteries are folks using these days? I used to get these Floureon ones on Amazon pretty cheap. They weren't ideal but I don't take the best care of my batteries and it wasn't especially costly to replace them. Now I'm finding it harder to find the right size etc. I have one expensive pair I like (maxamps) so now I'm going for a more economical solution for everyday use. Genace looks like a nice brand but they don't appear to be the right size. Any recs?

RC Racer
    I just ordered a set of these. https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=506

I had had good luck with their 3s 5600mah packs and these look even better.

RC poster
    Yes I should have kept going in the threads. Appears SMC is the solve for this. Thank you for linking! Good price and excellent specs. Will let folks know how they run. Glad to hear the 5600mah packs worked well. Others inquiring check this thread for more detail but TLDR just try the SMCs: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...ries-Not-again!

Quote Originally Posted by wretep View Post
    I just ordered a set of these. https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=506

I had had good luck with their 3s 5600mah packs and these look even better.
    I ordered 2 sets of those and I also have 2 sets of the 4500mah hard case. They are good, but the run time is only 10-15 minutes if you're a full throttle junky like me. SMC batteries are good. I have about 12 SMC batteries, not a single complaint.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nickruger View Post
    I ordered 2 sets of those and I also have 2 sets of the 4500mah hard case. They are good, but the run time is only 10-15 minutes if you're a full throttle junky like me. SMC batteries are good. I have about 12 SMC batteries, not a single complaint.
    I run mine wide open a lot and I tend to overheat before my packs run out. I have an alarm set to 150 which is conservative I know but it takes a while to get to 150 and then not much time to get a lot hotter. With the 5600 packs, I can usually get two good sessions in.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayme View Post
    You just need to find some that fit the battery compartment(156mm x 50mm x 29mm
    ), here are some traxxas e revo lipo battery fit E-REVO.
    The 29mm height is the kicker, most 3s are 35mm high.

I got the SMC 4500 and I really like them! Super light for 3s packs. I notice the voltage sag happens fast but I do get decent run times. I'll sticking with these until they swell or fail.

A 5 to 6k pack would be ideal, any more is just added weight for little benefit IMO

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

RC poster
    gensace 5000mah 3s 50c
    excellent punch
    only luke warm after big bashing session
    comes with traxxas plugs attached
    great battery

Just ordered 7200mah packs from SMC. I have SMC 6700mah 3s packs too as well as Traxxas 5000mah 3s packs. This new 2.0 is a blast to run! Cant wait for the 7200's to come in!

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Champion
    I posted the other day revolectrix 3s 5800 70c batteries fit. I will be speed running then this weekend.
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

I just got my 7200mah 3s SMC's today. They are a really tight fit height wise. The cables and balance cable are considerably longer than past versions which is nice.

4500mah 3s on the left, 7200mah 3s on the right

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just got done running them. Performance was really good, they were pretty well balanced still after I ran them. Overall like most SMC batteries, quality and performance is top notch. However, I have 2 gripes. The longer cables that I thought would be a good thing is not. There is a Hot mess of extra cable that is difficult to fit under an already slim fitting body. Second gripe is they fit just too tight in my 2.0. I tore the top of the one on the ESC side with the screw that holds the ESC to the chassis. Also there is no possible way to fit the balance plugs in the compartment. Not a fan of that. I will probably just stick to the 4500mah.

RC Racer
    I just got done running them. Performance was really good, they were pretty well balanced still after I ran them. Overall like most SMC batteries, quality and performance is top notch. However, I have 2 gripes. The longer cables that I thought would be a good thing is not. There is a Hot mess of extra cable that is difficult to fit under an already slim fitting body. Second gripe is they fit just too tight in my 2.0. I tore the top of the one on the ESC side with the screw that holds the ESC to the chassis. Also there is no possible way to fit the balance plugs in the compartment. Not a fan of that. I will probably just stick to the 4500mah.
    I got mine today too but haven't run them yet. They are very snug in the compartments of my ERBE 1.0. Agreed about the longer cables -- I'll probably shorten mine by about half.

I wonder if anybody makes those wooden feet that expand to stretch your shoes for the battery compartments on an erevo?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    gensace 5000mah 3s 50c
    excellent punch
    only luke warm after big bashing session
    comes with traxxas plugs attached
    great battery
    Part # by any chance? I just picked up four brand new Traxxas 2872X batteries I would like to compare them to.
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC poster
    I got my SMC 7200s too. Great performance on the first run. Really snug as you say but it worked out okay for me. I never liked having trouble squeezing stuff in so I had already grinded out some of the space for the cables and so it fits okay for me. Thanks SMC!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    A 5 to 6k pack would be ideal, any more is just added weight for little benefit IMO
    I noticed that when running just 2S 9000mah packs vs SMC's 7400mah packs. The 9k's fit fine when new, but after a year, they are a bit puffed and deform the battery box a bit when jamming them in. Only about 5 minutes run time difference that I've noticed. 35 minutes vs 40. I just ordered 4 more of the 7400's instead of getting the large ones again. As a bonus, they also fit in my stampede which the 9k's did not, they are too long. They also fit in my converted jato better too.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Enthusiast
    Just got mine in and they fit perfectly. Snug but not tight. Room for the balance plugs in the battery compartment behind the main plug exit from the pack. Maybe smc changed something to make them fit better. Main leads are still longer than ideal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How have the 7200mah 3s SMC's packs been holding up? Any problems?

RC Enthusiast
    I've had mine for about a week. So far so good. I have a 2.5yr old set of 2s 7200 hard packs that are still going strong. I always store at a storage charge and charge between 1 and 2 c rate as per smcs instructions. Love how fast they charge at 2c!

RC Competitor
    Could you guys post a pic of how tight the 7200 is in the 2.0 battery box?
    E Revo 2.0 / Slash VXL 2wd / Rustler VXL 2wd

RC Enthusiast
    I'll get one. Basically takes up all the space minus a half inch at the back where the wires come out.

RC Enthusiast
    I just picked up a couple of the Floureon 3s packs, 5500mah. I was considering the SMC packs but after shipping these were significantly cheaper. Just wanted to give the Revo a run on 6s as all my other packs are 2s. So far great luck with them.

RC Enthusiast
    Here is a quick shot of the big smcs in the erevo 2.0. also a shot of the big smc next to a standard smc hardpack that I run in the Summit.

RC Enthusiast
    Just order some myself for my 2.0. I didn't realize and had ordered some Zeee ROAR style packs and they only fit if I took the rear vents off and the rear didn't clip in since it was removed.

RC poster
    When you charge your 7200 SMCs....how many milliamps does it take to charge them up. Wondering if they are a true 7200.

RC Qualifier
    I would say yes they are true 7200mah. SMC isnít in the business to put out flaky batteries with untrue numbers.

RC Competitor
    How does the extra weight of the 7200 affect the drive?

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't worn them all the way down yet, but no reason to doubt the spec. Haven't driven the 2.0 with other batteries so can't comment on weight. I don't do anything real extreme so doubt I'd notice. I'm sure people doing huge jumps would be better off with light weight, lower capacity hardpacks.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkHayesRevo View Post
    When you charge your 7200 SMCs....how many milliamps does it take to charge them up. Wondering if they are a true 7200.
    I only run SMC 2S packs, but all of them charge a bit more MAH than what they are rated for when I charge from empty (7v, 3.5V LVC).

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave50w View Post
    How does the extra weight of the 7200 affect the drive?
    It's hard to tell, I run the lighter packs and have less heat issues running the same terrain with people running larger packs... sometimes the larger packs have more current delivery to feed the motor and with huge torque from the castle motor the weight difference is minimal performance wise but the motor is working harder to accelerate that extra weight. Also more weight when you crash.. more inertia for moving objects as well as at rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    It's hard to tell, I run the lighter packs and have less heat issues running the same terrain with people running larger packs... sometimes the larger packs have more current delivery to feed the motor and with huge torque from the castle motor the weight difference is minimal performance wise but the motor is working harder to accelerate that extra weight. Also more weight when you crash.. more inertia for moving objects as well as at rest.

I noticed the same when running 9000mah 2S vs 7200/7400mah 2S packs. With 2S, the extra run time the 9000's was giving me wasn't that much, but the loss of weight was pretty noticeable for jumps and general handling. I'm guessing the 3S 7200's are similar in weight to the 9000mah 2S packs.

They don't have the 9K's 2S packs now, only the 10500 2S.
    7200 2S - 341gr / 12.03oz
    10500 2S - 473gr /16.68oz

7200 3S - 475gr /16.75oz
    5400 3S - 416gr /14.67oz

Not as big of a difference for the 3S 7200 vs 5400. 9.3oz total difference for me with the 7400 2S packs though. More than 1/2 lb.

The new SMC packs are nice. No issues with them or the Trx 3s (5k mah). All fit nice and decent run times too.

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...