RC poster

Unhappy Brand New Snap-On black Xmaxx 8s, VXL-8S Unit melted.

I won a Snap-On black truck xmaxx at the beginning of this month. I was running the traxxas batteries that came with it, took it out on an empty lot next door showing my neighbor. Not even 5-10 minutes into it i felt the power kindof act weird. brought it over to us and it all looked fine. My neighbor smelled something burning. I pulled the cover saw the VXL-8S unit was melting. I pulled the batteries out as fast as i could. I bet this thing wouldve engulfed in flames. Thankfully my neighbor smelled it so quickly and i was able to save it before the body melted etc.

This was only my 2nd time to drive the truck and less than 1 hour total driving it. I hadn't even depleated the freshly balance charged battery packs from the kit. :-( I am going to call Traxxas in the morning and see what to do but that was scary! My wife wants me to get rid of the whole truck because its a fire hazard, but I just want it fixed.

RC Qualifier
    I have a snap on truck as well, the red/white one.
    My stock ESC lasted about 8 months. I then replaced it with the hobbyWing Max6, as crazy stated above.
    it solved all my problems.
    to fill you in, Traxxas started making their own ESC, and they are still not as bullet proof as some aftermarket ones, though they are actively trying to fix the issues with firmware updates and they are making progress.

RC poster
    So as far as the good luck on the ESC exhchange am I just better off not trying? Or are they good about standing behind their product?

RC Qualifier
    They will most likely exchange it for a different 1
    Good to do - either use or sell for max6
    fabricator

RC Qualifier
    Ya they are good, they might give you a bit of static over not having a proper sales slip.
    Tell them the truth that you won it.
    I had some warranty work done on my snapon and that worked for me

My 8s X has been ran a lot and no issues with esc. Give it try. Trx cust service is second to none! In my experience with past issues theyve went above and beyond and cant say enough about them standing behind their products!

I need just one more rc, then Im done,
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...